WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I started collecting (note on a small budget), I sought out movements from different countries such as American, Swiss, German, Japanese, Russian. Then my tastes changed and so did my bank account and I was able to collect pieces for design and purpose, GMT, Chrono. Now I collect what I like just cuz I like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly, I've never removed the back from my Rolex case so I could enjoy the movement; although I will say that having taken the backs off of countless quartz watches, they are all generally the same. Some of the movements are Swiss, but most are from Asia. I have a few watches with visible movements, and after you are enthralled past the initial amazement, all I need to know is what time it is and like how it looks on my wrist. I change watches 2--3 times per day to enjoy them all.

·
Registered
Aquaracer Cal. 5
330 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can see collecting expensive movements if they're going to be displayed outside of the watch, in some artsy-fartsy kind of way. Their purpose inside a watch case is fairly well the same regardless of whether they're costly or normal.

EDIT for clarity: I know the country of manufacture is a big deal among one-upsmen, but that should be on the dial anyhow

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oh, the question... forgot.

I tend to collect the watch itself- case, dial, hands, and movement, too, with a tendency to prioritize the aesthetics (the watch is worn on one's wrist, after all). If I had more pieces with glass backs, I'd probably obsess more over what kind of movement was in the watch. As it stands now, they just need to be mechanical- no extra frills necessary

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don’t have enough 0’s in my bank account to collect movements yet. That’s where it gets EXPENSIVE when you’re after unique movements lol

For a daily wearer I actually prefer a run of the mill ETA movement. Mainly for serviceability and access to service. I liken it to driving an easily repairable car instead of an exotic. If I’m going to wear it everyday and it’s going to take the most beating, it should be economical and easy to get it repaired. If money were no object I’d just wear whatever I wanted. Most likely something with a cool and unique manual wind chronograph movement. But alas I’m nowhere near that point in my life.

·
Registered
226 Posts
To me, a quality movement is very important, but I don't mind repeating movements if the watches themselves are different enough.

Hell, if every single one of my watches had a Blancpain/Fredric Piguet 1315 movement, I'd be in heaven.

The problem with ETA 2824s/SW200s isn't that they're common, but they're fairly outdated as far as movement tech goes. I can't really be bothered with 38 hour power reserves anymore - especially when Swatch Group's in-house movements for their entry-level brands are mostly 80 hours, and very accurate.
For the price level the 2824 is hard to beat though. The power reserve leaves something to be desired but the movement itself is a workhorse and cheap and easy to fix. And actually pretty darn accurate for the price. You have to respect the 2824 for what it is and not knock it for what it isn’t. The newer in-house Swatch movements are great but put watches out of the price ranges of us mere commoners.

Though Hamilton seems to have modified the 2824 for a longer reserve and kept the price reasonable.

·
Registered
Rolex 126200, UN San Marco, 2 Casios and 1 Timex
1,110 Posts
I purchased a cheap Chinese automatic and wore briefly until the movement was losing 8 minutes a day.

I played watchmaker and took the movement out. With the case I put an 1848 US large penny in for fun.

My wife noticed and said cool watch. I give up.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Nickel

61 - 69 of 69 Posts