WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I was at a very large outdoor gig chatting to some ladies (a very mixed group), and a couple of them couldn't take their eyes from my watch (my Sub, which I still had). I didn't feel uncomfortable as such but I just read a comment in another thread and it got me thinking...there has been numerous occasions when I have done this for various reasons (but not necessarily personal safety). There are obvious ones like late night subway journeys in undesirable areas but a lot more where I simply thought it 'proper'.

So I spend all this money on something I love dearly, and then hide it ;-)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I've had this same thought. Then again, one of the benefits of not owning a rolex is that most robbers/muggers/thieves don't consider anything else to be that valuable. If I had a rolex, then I would certainly feel the same way late at night on the subway.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I never wear a good watch (or even one that looks good) in an area that I am concerned of the possibility of theft. That means I'm usually wearing my digital Casio on a frayed nylon velcro watch in those situations. Even my Timex looks nice if you don't know what you're looking at. Common sense, whether or not it is PC, is the way to go. You wouldn't leave a wallet or purse on the driver's seat in your car even parked on Savile Row would you?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
I don't hide or not wear a watch in social situations. I am careful to not wear a expensive watch in possibly risky situations.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I've only intentionally hidden my watch once, at an underground poker game where some of the players were more unsavoury than I was used to.

Otherwise I don't intentionally hide or display my watches.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I never have. I just assume everyone has the same eyesight I do and are not capable of reading the tiny text on the dial of my watch that says what brand it is unless they enter my authorized personal space.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I was on a mission in Africa(Rhodesia) where I was offered a wife and livestock for my Rolex...I declined, I bought a cheap Heuer(b/4 Tag)
and wore that on some missions, for political sake...But I've never felt shame or fear for wearing my GMT...Shame is what you are describing.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I was on a mission in Africa(Rhodesia) where I was offered a wife and livestock for my Rolex...I declined, I bought a cheap Heuer(b/4 Tag)
and wore that on some missions, for political sake...But I've never felt shame or fear for wearing my GMT...Shame is what you are describing.
Dating yourself there. :-d Was Rolex as well known back in the day? And with the current reputation of being "THE" expensive watch brand?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Dating yourself there. :-d Was Rolex as well known back in the day? And with the current reputation of being "THE" expensive watch brand?
Why yes...yes it was....But it was not and still not The Expensive watch....It was and is THE BEST watch.

Reactions: Cannonball

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Why yes...yes it was....But it was not and still not The Expensive watch....It was and is THE BEST watch.
Don't say that. We've had enough Rolex is god/devil threads enough these last few weeks as it is.
What with the price of beef lately that would be a good deal
The country probably never printed enough cash to cover the cost of a Rolex given how insane inflation hit that country. Actually I think the Zimbabwe dollar was suspended sometime after the 11 million % inflation around the time the rest of the world crashed. That was on top of the few thousand percent inflation for the decade prior.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good lord man, that's called bait. Attach any Rolex to some 150 pound test line and fling it into a room of women. Give it a minute for one of them to bite then just haul her in.
LOL...my wife was in a different group about 20' away

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
In South Florida where I reside...the WHOLE AREA is risky; crooks have cars too. Certainly, I'm mindful of where I am and what's going on around me...but, the ONLY way to be sure you won't get "nicked"...is to NEVER wear it. Not an option... Life; it's a risky proposition fellas.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
The thought has never crossed my mind to hide my watch, neither for safety reasons nor for modesty. I don't own anything that would be perceived by the average Joe as expensive, though.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
where i live there is not the slightest belief that your watch is what it says on the label- so it isn't a problem! of course in this day and age one has to be careful - it really isn't difficult to work out if a watch is real or not mostly from the body language - i am amazed sometimes at the nievity displayed by the guy that is actually wearing something nice !!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I wore a few nice watches while transferring lines for the metro in a not so nice area. At first I was very worried, but after going through the area a few times I became more comfortable (though still vigilant).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts