WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to you all!

My question today… Do you consider this model of the ‘new’ speedmaster 38mm to be too ‘feminine’ for a man to wear? (Ref # : 324.30.38.50.02.001)

PA120117-e1507796787644.jpg
Here's a link with more pictures: ???????? ???????? » 2017 » 10? » 12

Nice close up here too: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/82/d6/e882d6915e55cf63af776a808634c258.jpg

People seem to criticize the oval shape of the sub-dials and the date window. They claim it makes it look too feminine. I tend to agree but I feel this is less apparent on this version.
I’ve been researching like crazy to find out more about this model. I really like the idea of a white dial speedmaster with a bit of precious metal. To me, the perfect watch would be the Speedmaster Snoopy edition without the Snoopy. On a bracelet too. I know there is this model that is pretty close. Thing is, I think I really like raised indices. Which this one doesn’t. It’s just not speaking to me that much.

The 38mm seems like a dressier version of the Speedmaster. I would be very curious to see this on a black alligator strap… I’ve worn smaller watches before (Glycine combat 36mm, Sarb033, Sarb017) and bigger (Victorinox Chrono 45mm, Certina DS Action Diver). I have found that I prefer a smaller watch. Thing is I’ve never seen this size on a chrono in person.

I’m currently saving up to buy my first ‘luxury’ watch. Sold almost all of my collection to get to this goal. This is so you know that it’s a huge purchase for me. I’m torn between a bunch of watches. Still trying to decide what i’m going for. My style, etc. Still undecided between the speedmaster MOTM, new bazelworld 2018 seamaster pro 300m in blue or even going into rolex territory. Although I’m pretty sure I’m gonna stick to Omega as my first ‘luxury watch’. Of course, I need to see those watches in person before taking any decision. I just wanted you’re intake on this subject! FYI, my wrist size is a little less than 7 inches. Really close tough

Thank you and sorry if the writing isn’t the best. French Canadian here!

P.S: Of course, I know this is not the MAAANN OOONNNN THE F****ING MOOOON. I really don’t know if this would bother me in the long run… Kinda torn between sticking with the classics or trying something new.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
People seem to criticize the oval shape of the sub-dials and the date window. They claim it makes it look too feminine. I tend to agree...
I have no idea how a shape can be considered feminine or masculine? Oval sub-dials and round date window = feminine, while round sub-dials and rectangular date window = masculine? How did that come about?

To me, the perfect watch would be the Speedmaster Snoopy edition without the Snoopy. On a bracelet too.
The closest to what you describe would be the Speedmaster Albino, specifically the reference 3593.20 if you prefer a bracelet. Of course, that watch is rare and worth a small fortune, but you can come across modded Speedmaster Professionals that have the look, but without the authenticity and cost.

Photo credit: Fratello Watches

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea how a shape can be considered feminine or masculine? Oval sub-dials and round date window = feminine, while round sub-dials and rectangular date window = masculine? How did that come about?

The closest to what you describe would be the Speedmaster Albino, specifically the reference 3593.20 if you prefer a bracelet. Of course, that watch is rare and worth a small fortune, but you can come across modded Speedmaster Professionals that have the look, but without the authenticity and cost.

Photo credit: Fratello Watches

I was made aware of this reference. It is quite rare tough, like you said...

Thank you for your input. I guess I could 'rephrase' the term 'feminine' to 'elegant'. If that makes more sense!

Seems to be more popular in japan. Just like the reduce was. I've yet to come across a good review of this watch. Altough there is a good thread about it on WUS.

Again, thank you

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used to own the older reduced. Sold it just before the prices began rising

I am seriously thinking of getting the black one in the future that has round dials instead of oval.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jncky

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nah, not feminine, just different. I'm not a fan of the oval subdials either, but that wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I could get one of these in black. Having owned an older Reduced as well, I think the size is actually pretty great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
OMEGA Speedmaster Mark 40 18K Gold Steel Mens Watch 3313.33 or if you want a Gold Dial, the 3310.10.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
I'm not a fan of the oval sub dials either. Do I think it looks feminine, no, not at all. :-!
Looks very nice actually.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think if you are asking the question then you already think it is so you probably wouldn't be happy with it.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I wouldn't say feminine, but unisex.

Depending on his or her wrist size, and preferences, you can choose to go with the 38mm.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Not a Speedy fan, but I think it looks fine. If you like it, but it. Nobody will even notice what watch you are wearing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nah, not feminine, just different. I'm not a fan of the oval subdials either, but that wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I could get one of these in black. Having owned an older Reduced as well, I think the size is actually pretty great!
There actually is a model in black with round subdials.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I would call it dressy; elegant fits as well. The gold hands and markers against white, the date wheel font, the paler bezel with notches, and the oval subdials all contribute to a dressier look than I'm used to on Speedies.

That's not a bad thing, but it depends on what you're looking for. That albino Speedy, in comparison, is pretty awesome with its tool-watch DNA still strong from the higher contrast black on white.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I don't think the white necessarily translates to feminine. Looks great to me. The new white Nomos models on the other hand...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm gonna be the first to say I think it looks feminine.

It is the combination of colors and design. White dial itself doesn't make a watch look feminine, nor does soft round circles. But together (and the color of the hands / indexes) make this watch look feminine.

That is not to say I would judge or criticize a man wearing one. I pretty much appreciate any person wearing any watch :p Especially appreciate smaller watches (38 and 37 are technically my favorite sizes)

I'm not gonna over-analyze it, but as an artist/designer, I understand and notice design cues that can be interpreted as masculine vs feminine (which I often have to take into account for my designs and target audience); and from a quick glance, this watch is definitely leaning towards feminine.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, thank you all for the responses! Really need to think about this one... I'm aware that there is a black version, but I feel this version as a 'je ne sais quoi'. If I was to go black (don't take this out of context) I think I would go with the MOTM. Still afraid that it would wear large.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whoever used the word elegant to describe it hit the nail on the head. I'd probably have buyers remorse if I picked it up. But who knows, it might be a different story in person and on your wrist.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts