WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about my watch purchasing habits, I've realised I always consider whether a watch can last forever when making a purchase. I always stay in the affordable end of affordable watches (less than $300, usually less than $100), but that still comes into play. I figure I want a small collection, and I want all my watches to be life keepers. 30 years from now, I want to look down at my watch box and remember all the memories I've collected when wearing those watches, which is obviously hard if a watch can only last you for 5 or 10 years. I know nothing can truly last forever, but I figure a Seiko with a 4R35 will be serviceable (or replaceable) for decades to come, by pretty much any semi-competent watchmaker. As a result, I've avoided brands whose movements are not that common (e.g. Orient), movements that cannot really be serviced (ST19) and never bought gold plated watches. I have a couple Seikos, some Vostoks, some digital Casios and a Miyota-powered Timex. I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks like this. Is whether a watch can 'last forever' a consideration for you?

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
" Is whether a watch can 'last forever' a consideration for you?" No.

Reactions: lvt

·
Registered
673 Posts
I don't really think like that but I know my 69 Skyliner works as if I'd bought it yesterday. As long as they are kept in decent conditions and looked after they theoretically could last for many many years.

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: VNLK

·
Registered
606 Posts
You've defined "forever" here in your post as 30 years.
You'd be hard-pressed to find a watch that costs more than $30 that won't last 30 years. Factor in that you've got at least several watches, let's say you've got 5 watches in rotation. That's really only 6 years of wear per watch, unless you get more (sounds likely), the rest of the time they are in a box. Look at any 30 year-old watch that's hardly been worn. It's fine. And most (entry/midrange level) watches these days are way more durable than the similar watches of 30 years ago, with stainless instead of plated brass, sapphire instead of mineral glass or acrylic, and much improved movements and yet cheaply replacable movements.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There are a lot of assumptions here:
1) Forever - is that 30, 50, 100 yrs? the life of the owner? the life of the watch?
2) Movement - quartz, HAQ, mechanical, automatic, rare or ubiquitous
3) Affordable - for whom?

That said, i would say i used to think about the question more when I got into this hobby 10 years ago than now. I have a 1968 GP from my dad ($300 when new) that was serviced and runs great over 50 years later. Same with the Hammy Accumatic I got from my granddad. I have a 1997 Citizen Eco-drive Promaster that is running strong and another from the same period I purchased from a WUS member that seems just as good. I'd parrot what @KOwatch said: the durability of watches today, especially those with tried and true movements (e.g. Unitas 6798, ETA 2824, Valjoux 775x, Miyota 9015, Several Seikos, Sellita clones) will last way longer than most of us if properly cared for.

So if I get a watch from a solid company or with a proven affordable movement, I'm not too fussed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I feel the exact same way. I’m even skeptical of the higher end in house movements. I’d much prefer something ubiquitous and serviceable to something exotic.

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Forever? Nah, not really. I'm happy knowing they'll all last at least as long as I expect to be wearing them.

This message isn't angry, that's just my thumbs typing furiously.

·
Registered
524 Posts
With affordables, I don't really care if they last a lifetime, even 10 years of service to me sounds plenty. Product longevity, to me, becomes more of a pertinent quality as price increases. I'd want my expensive watches to last longer than my affordables. That said, if I'm looking for something affordable that I know will last, I'd definitely look into a ubiquitous and easily serviceable movement (4R/9015/2824 etc.), SS case, and sapphire.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here is my take.

If I buy a $1000+ watch, I am more likely to spend the $250-$500 cost to service the watch when needed (probably 10-15 years if I push it). So in this case, with service and maintenance, the watch will last.

On the other hand, for a watch <$300, I would not pay to service it. As the service cost is same (or more) as replacing the watch. So this watch is a throw-away when service is required.

·
Registered
Zelos Mako V3 bronze frost || Casio PRW-7000X || Casio Gulfman GW-9100 || Victorinox INOX Mechanical
544 Posts
Well, assumptions apart... This is a watch that could last "Forever"

Victorinox INOX

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
5 billion years from now when our sun runs out of hydrogen, explodes and destroys the Earth and our solar system, I expect my future bloodline will have shepherded themselves and the family Seiko Arnie Reissue onto an Intergalactic vessel bound for their new distant home.

Simply put. Yes I do.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have 16 watches. I wear one watch for seven days before switching. That's 15 weeks between wears. That's only three and a half weeks of wear per year per watch. If a watch needs service every 10 years, I won't need a regular service for something like 150 years. Longevity isn't a huge issue to me anymore. I used to stress about it a ton. It's also part of the reason I've bought a few Eco Drives to help break up the automatic watch wearing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Considering I mainly collect Seiko and Orient automatic watches, worn in a rotation of a few dozen, yes I do expect them to last until I die, unless I flip them obviously. But I am more a keeper than a flipper.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Well I think we all want our watches to last forever. So we want things easy to repair or are very robust.

So, basic seiko, gshock, automatic or battery citizen. Things of this nature should last a while especially when the models were produced in the millions.

I'd stay away from chinese or russian budget mechanicals.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
No. For example, I have seen on the Hamilton sub-forum of some individuals who have sent their vintage Hamiltons (approx, 20+ years) to be serviced by the Swatch Group Service Center and were informed by the service centre they no longer carried the necessary parts for that particular watch. However, the service centre was willing to provide them a cash credit towards the purchase of a new Hamilton watch.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts