WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Premium Member
My Dad passed away at 75 and my brother went at 76. I am 70 so if family tradition means anything, I have maybe 5 or 6 years left. That said, I don't worry about the longevity of a watch as it will probably last longer than me anyway.
Joe

Reactions: MikeyT and Viseguy

Premium Member
My Dad passed away at 75 and my brother went at 76. I am 70 so if family tradition means anything, I have maybe 5 or 6 years left. That said, I don't worry about the longevity of a watch as it will probably last longer than me anyway.
Joe
I'm 70 too, and I firmly believe that an ardent interest in watches (or anything life-affirming) adds to longevity. That's the story I'm sticking to, anyway.... 馃槃

Premium Member
I will not last forever, so it would be an unfair expectation for my watches

Registered
Is whether a watch can 'last forever' a consideration for you?
Honestly, no, not at all. For one, I've never been in a "high enough" pricerange where the "forever-ness" of the watch would be meaningful, i.e. they are not heritage pieces or somesuch. Second, after many years, I'm pretty well aware that watches come and go pretty fast, and theres like a 90% chance of a new watch getting sold off within a year.

Now, that said, I do try to avoid watches that are obviously shoddy, or that are known to have serious problems. But that is more a factor of buying decent items, and not a "forever-ness" factor.

Premium Member
The death of an object comes from the way it was used (and abused) throughout it's time. Is there a certain time limit to these objects...no. Harder substances will endure by means of their nature. Us humans are made of 80% H2o, the environment we live in causes us to start to die at conception.

I never consider that a watch will endure what we may put it through as a basis for the quality I assume it's manufactured for. All objects are different and are made to last only a certain time. If we don't breath we will die..we are constantly being used. If a watch is set aside and doesn't run it should not die, until we wind it and start the wear process.

Registered
I bought a 50 yr old seiko automatic that still kept time well enough. Maybe it saw service somewhere along the way, but probably not in the past... 30? Still ran... OK.

I'm 52... so I expect any watch I currently own to last the rest of my life. Especially my Vostoks, which run at a lower beat and have a 10yr service interval.

So does it figure in to purchase decisions? Nah...

Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
Since i won't spend more than about 250 yet, if I get 5+ years i'm happy.
Pretty sure anything I've spent more than 100 on should last well longer (orient)

Registered
Most of my watches yes. I have brand new movements for $100 watches to either replace or use for parts.
Other affordable watches in my collection, no. I am not attached to them as others.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts