WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dressier piece.

I ask because for years I had thought about adding a Datejust to my Sub and instead opted for the GMT, love the GMT but I guess its the sickness that I can't help but still want a Datejust.

Practically speaking I don't have to dress up for work, even if I did my Sub or the GMT would work fine, but I can't shake the fact that I just feel the Datejust is a very classy piece.

I have an Omega Aqua Terra that can stand in and was way cheaper, but I never wear it.

Just curious as to if there are those who only buy sports pieces and rarely consider the dressier pieces and or if after a while you decided it would be good to add one to the mix.

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
I thought I was only into sport watches but over time I’ve changed my mind. I now have added both a Turn-o-graph and a fluted datejust and I’ve come to the conclusion those aren’t really dressy enough to be my “real” dress watch. To give a sense of my standards, day to day I usually wear a speedy or exp II.

The truth is that Rolex isn’t really a dress watch company and even their dressier models are relatively sporty compared to offerings from more traditional dress watch brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
My collection revolves around mostly sport watches and I inherited my Dad’s vintage DJ so I use that for the appropriate occasions. And it be go against traditional fashion rules, but I do wear the sport watches with suits. I don’t see what the big deal is nor care about silly fashion rules.

I wouldn’t get a dress watch though just to check off a box. I do agree that the DJ is classy and an icon in its own right. If you love it and plan to use it, go for it. If you have to think twice and are hesitating, then maybe that’s your answer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My main driver is a Rolex and they do the Sporty models fantastically.

As far as dressier watches go, other brands do them quite well to the point where I would wear them once in a while in a suit.

Take for example, Hamilton intramatic and jazzmaster, Seiko Presage, Timex Marlin, Tissot Le Locle, Junghans Max Bill, Nomos Glashutte, Orient Bambino, Junkers Bauhaus... It really doesn't have to be a $30,000 Rolex Cellini.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Honestly I don't really see the DJ as such a dress piece. It's not a Cellini or JLC. It actually looks pretty sporty in an oyster bracelet. Granted it is more subdued due to the stick hands vs merc on the GMT/Sub and no bezel but it's still has an oyster case and no nonsense time keeping. My collection consists of only a white DJ and SD4k

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't "collect" even though I've got over a dozen watches but my first great watch was a TT Datejust (16233) which I bought new in '89. The only additional Rolex watches I bought were a Sub Date (16610) in 2000 and a GMT II (16710) in 2006. I also added a Speedmaster Professional during the period of the Rolex sport models. The rest of my watches are a mix of inherited vintage watches, most of which could be called dress watches and a couple digital sport models (Wenger and a Seiko Sports 100 Moonphase - tres cool).

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
I much prefer the 'sports' style of watch. I do have a blue Omega AT that is probably the dressiest looking watch I own.
That does get quite a lot of 'wrist time' as I particularly like that look with a suit.
Dress watches aren't really my 'thing', not sure why really? Thinking about it, I think I prefer the more rugged look of sports models.
Time for a picture, even if it is an Omega! ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
29,372 Posts
dressier piece.

I ask because for years I had thought about adding a Datejust to my Sub and instead opted for the GMT, love the GMT but I guess its the sickness that I can't help but still want a Datejust.

Practically speaking I don't have to dress up for work, even if I did my Sub or the GMT would work fine, but I can't shake the fact that I just feel the Datejust is a very classy piece.

I have an Omega Aqua Terra that can stand in and was way cheaper, but I never wear it.

Just curious as to if there are those who only buy sports pieces and rarely consider the dressier pieces and or if after a while you decided it would be good to add one to the mix.

Thanks
Welcome to Rolex ownership. You get one, then you want another, and another!

I have zero need for a date just ; doesn’t mean I don’t want one!

·
Registered
20,470 Posts
Can you collect Steel Rolex sports models then??

If so where can you buy them??

Reactions: matthew P

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
Rolex SS sports watches have been hot selling watches for decades. I recall a period of time in the early 1980's when the TT Datejust was also very popular, but appears not so much in recent years. However, I am told the Datejust is Rolex's best selling watch. There is no question in my mind that Rolex sports models seem to retain value better than others. I only buy what I like but am trying to make watches that I like ones that retain value best. That would be Rolex sports models.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
dressier piece.

Thanks

Yes, that describes me. I'm a Rolex Sport guy but I allow myself one diversion from that collection and it's straight into a DJ 41.

I find that it's not just that there are certain circumstances where the event you're attending or the attire you're wearing just doesn't call for a big divers watch; it's also that a Datejust looks and feels very familiar (oyster case, cyclops, etc.) but very different at the same time (polished lugs, stick markers/hands, sunburst dial). It's also a great watch to indulge in luxury with, step out of the 'tool' groove and treat yourself to a Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel, pick a grey or blue dial, it really feels like a very different experience.

I can see why it's Rolexes best seller and why so many people make their Datejust their one-watch. It's the sportiest dress watch made. Or, the dressiest sport watch made. Either way, it's the best of both worlds and a necessary addition to any collection. Especially with the 41 out there, it's a gamechanger. It's substantial, like a sport watch now. Low and wide, sleek yet dominant. I love it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You might want a datejust because it is the one u actually want, so u keep going back to it

Another possibility, is that, you, just like me (in my case), and some other sports watch collectors feel some emptiness inside. Your collection feels incomplete because there's no proper watch for your formal activities. If that's so, then your datejust will most probably still just stay in the box like the AT because u actually doesn't need a dress watch / doesn't really have that much occasions that need it / doesn't really like a dress watch. The one who need it is your collection, not you. I don't know if that makes any sense

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Dial-wise GMT is pretty similar to a sub. You’d be surprised at the variety of Datejusts you can get, and like everyone said it’s sort of a hybrid dress, so I say try one on.

Black dial and Oyster bracelet gives it a sporty look and in my case the turn o graph bezel is a nice addition to the tool watch aesthetic.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't "collect" even though I've got over a dozen watches but my first great watch was a TT Datejust (16233) which I bought new in '89. The only additional Rolex watches I bought were a Sub Date (16610) in 2000 and a GMT II (16710) in 2006. I also added a Speedmaster Professional during the period of the Rolex sport models. The rest of my watches are a mix of inherited vintage watches, most of which could be called dress watches and a couple digital sport models (Wenger and a Seiko Sports 100 Moonphase - tres cool).
If it looks like a collector and it smells like a collector, then...

:LOL:

·
Registered
421 Posts
dressier piece.

Thanks
All I can say from my and my WIS friends’ experience, is that tastes change. Watches, including some (vintage) dress watches, that I would have never considered a little while back - are not only squarely on my radar - a couple have joined the collection.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
dressier piece.

Thanks
I sort of fit your characterization above... and have ended up with these two, with which I'm very happy and consequently spend the most time on my wrist. Would wear either one pretty much anywhere depending on my mood...

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are indeed those out there (not me personally, but those out there) that definitely only buy 'sport' models.

I do not mean to come off as argumentative - but is only being into sport models (or only into any particular style, for that matter) really that unfathomable? What draws people to watches varies, and not everyone is looking for variety or a collection that spans different styles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts