WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny I never get compliments when I wear my speedy, hamilton or tissot watches. I always end up getting compliments for my supposedly eye catching gray rubberband Cross watch worth about 70$ that I wear on sport occasions like scuba diving.

I have to assume 95% of the population don't know much about watches besides the ones on special price at the local Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The only two anyone at work has ever noticed are my:

1) 105.003 - 1965. My boss is the Chief Medical Officer of the company and like most succesfull MD/business men, he's loaded :)... just traded in his Range Rover for a Cayenne Turbo.:-!

Anyway, he's a Rolex guy with a shiny GMT Master II on his wrist. Yet he was absolutely fascinated by my 40+ year old, dinged bezel, wabi'd up "Ed White" like a kid on Christmas.

2) Seiko 6309 "Col. Pogue" chrono.

One of my co-workers was fascinated with the golden dial and colorful bezel insert on this one.... and the fact that it cost less than the POS TAG he was wearing b-)

Ciao,

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was picking up my dry cleaning last Saturday. A guy in front of me turns and asks, "How do you like your Moonwatch?" First time anyone has asked about my Speedy. Turns out the guy "had a owned a few." Told him I had it a bit over a month and I liked it.

Lesson to me is that only folks "in the know" likely appreciate the Speedy...and that's OK by me. :-!

If I had a Sub...I might be worried some knucklehead knew enough to want to steal it. I do like Subs though.

Never had a comment on my 2254 Seamaster...yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never had any compliments when I wear my seamaster. Truly I think most of the people I know don't care much about watch. I think they either assume that the watch is just $50 or many times they don't seem to be aware that I am wearing a watch at all. But that's fine, I don't care much whether to get compliments or not.

Once I presented a $50 Casio diver and the Sinn U1 to a friend and asked her which one does she like. She chose the Casio, much to my dismay :-( Another time, I showed her my seamaster and told her the price of the watch and she seemed like the watch and commented it was very well made.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm younger, so none of my watches get noticed. That or they think they're fake. That's fine with me, less likely for them to get stolen I guess.
The only compliments I get are from my digital and LCD watches.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've gotten compliments on my Non AC before, mostly from women weirdly enough. It's the white gold maybe?

I get a lot of interest too when I wear one on an Omega mesh... Had someone ask me if my watch was medieval once :-d

·
Registered
200 Posts
One lady that I work with noticed my watch and loved it - immediately associated it with James Bond.

She then went on to say that it was much better than those swatch watches that she used to wear. I did not have the heart to tell her Omega was part of the swatch group. :-d

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I get a few for my Omega which is nice....much nicer than when I owned a Rolex sub and everyone asked if it were real

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well...it has happened couple of times. In one jewellery store, I dont know if they are counted in this topic, but anyway.
One quite young sales lady around 20's was showing me one Raymond Weils chrono I saw in their window. (They didnt sold Omega at all, by the way) I gave my Bond Seamaster to her, while I was trying/looking that RW.
Suddenly lady(girl) said behind my back, quite aloud, that: "Wow! You have a cool watch!" I said that it is, and said pointed out that she knows what it is. Reply was; "Its Omega Seamaster. Of cource I know these. They are just beautiful." She turned it, looked it from every angle and tryed it on her wrist while I was looking their stuff. :)
I was thinking that if I was not married o| I had for sure said something clever about coffee - and chance to see if I buy her one someday. :-d

Other was at the airport in Germany (Hamburg or Frankfurt dont remember) where I spended about 15 minutes about talking with sales-lady about watches, after I had admired her mid-size Rolex...he tried my Seamaster and told that she was just thinking to give a change to Omega but how hard it give-up her Rolex. They didn't had any other clients at the moment and I think both of us where just bored.

But I think that 98% of people dont even recognize Omega, while most John Does knows at least Rolex and some experts Tag-Heuer as well. Omega is quite low-profile watch and that is one reason I like it; It dont get too much attention. If I want (ladies?) to notice my watch I would buy crystal decorated Quess, D&G or TW Steel. Thats it.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Well...it has happened couple of times. In one jewellery store, I dont know if they are counted in this topic, but anyway.
One quite young sales lady around 20's was showing me one Raymond Weils chrono I saw in their window. (They didnt sold Omega at all, by the way) I gave my Bond Seamaster to her, while I was trying/looking that RW.
Suddenly lady(girl) said behind my back, quite aloud, that: "Wow! You have a cool watch!" I said that it is, and said pointed out that she knows what it is. Reply was; "Its Omega Seamaster. Of cource I know these. They are just beautiful." She turned it, looked it from every angle and tryed it on her wrist while I was looking their stuff. :)
I was thinking that if I was not married o| I had for sure said something clever about coffee - and chance to see if I buy her one someday. :-d
Or perhaps she was just a really good salesperson :think:

·
Registered
130 Posts
[my po and broadarrow rarely gets a mention but a cheap $300 chrono from the 1940s got noticed 3 times in 1day go figure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
At work, where 0.3% of the personnel carry some fine watches, often if any close co-worker ever notice the speedy,
the first question I hear is "How much do you pay for this watch ?"

I'll never pretend it's a fake but I always lie about the price reducing it by $1000 because I assume the reply
often will be an unpleasant "Are you crazy or what ?, I'd travel to Hawaii for less than that!"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haha, yeah when people ask how much I paid for my Rolex I usually get a comment like that. Perhaps a good reply would be.. "Yeah I could go to Hawaii but I'd still want the watch...lol"

·
Registered
630 Posts
I never had any compliments when I wear my seamaster. Truly I think most of the people I know don't care much about watch. I think they either assume that the watch is just $50 or many times they don't seem to be aware that I am wearing a watch at all. But that's fine, I don't care much whether to get compliments or not.

Once I presented a $50 Casio diver and the Sinn U1 to a friend and asked her which one does she like. She chose the Casio, much to my dismay :-( Another time, I showed her my seamaster and told her the price of the watch and she seemed like the watch and commented it was very well made.
hahaha. casio it is!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think I have got more comments about my Mesh bracelets than my watches.

Of the watches I have got more comments on my 176.007 as it is unusual. No on has ever commented on my Speedy and have had a few comments on my PO.

As others have said, most people haven't got a clue about watches except for Rolex. Unless you understand why you would pay £2000 for a watch that keeps worse time than a £20 digital you will probably never take any interest in them

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
never get any comments on my omega.

A couple of days ago when I was at a watch shop browsing and tried an oris diver, took my sub off the wrist and put it on they tray - this saleswoman said: nice looking watch you have there, is that an omega? I said thanks but it is a rolex.

Funny thing is that this is also an omega AD.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Only from people that work for me or want to sell me something so who knows hoe sincere they are. I do have a true WIS that works for me so I know he loves the PO, he commented first minute I walked in the office.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts