WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my watches, I always have gone for more classic styles than trendy.

I am extremely picky about my fonts, colors, hands and so on. I've tried to buy pieces that have a timeless quality about them.

OTOH Some of my colleagues believe that their watches are like tattoos - they represent a certain moment or event and want them to "mark the time of purchase".

It's not a debate about defining either. It's about your own tastes and whether you mind if your piece looks dated in a few years.

For me, the only exception had been size. I've got some 36-38mm pieces that I simply never wear because they are just too scrawny anymore.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I go for what ever catches my eye. It ranges from classic to trendy. If I had the money, I would own a wide variety.

Tattoos on the other hand, in my view, should always be classic. By that I mean, if you cannot see yourself with the tattoo at 80 then you probably shouldn't get it (I have several).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Timeless, though I would love to grab one of those k23 welders, they look like they came out of blade runner (trendy).

Nothing in my mind is more classic than a white dialed chrono, tastefully and minimalist.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I definitely go with the classic look. I'm not really interested in watches that I get tired of, or wouldn't be wearing in 20 years...or forever.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I go for classic. I especially like good workmanship and detail on a classic watch. I don't go for trendy, but I also don't go for the stark plain look either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alwlays classic. Rolex Explorer I, Nomos Ludwig, Omega SMP "Bond," and Seiko Lassale tank (white face, black strap, roman numerals, no second hand). My next will probably be a Rolex No-Date Sub. Don't think you can get much more classic than that.

·
Registered
39,246 Posts
:think: Whatever catches my eye at the time. Used to have an Angular
Momentum Retro, which was more than just trendy, it was far-out, to
my Lucien Piccard, which is classic vintage.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I tend to go either for classic looks, or looks that I could see becoming classic looks (Omega PO etc). Not so much a preference that way, more that I tend to find 'trendy' watches rather odd looking (trying too hard to be 'striking' etc) or look out of place in anything but the very latest fashions (which i have neither the money nor the desire to partake in).

Tom

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm a bit conservative (being a nerdy chemist) so I go more for classic. My most avant-garde design is a Yes Cosmo (sort of like the one Adam Savage wears on Mythbusters).

And thanks go to the OP for not making this another poll! It would've been in the Omega forums, but here we can actually read what people think and why.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I like classic styling with modern trends: Airman 17, Omega PO, LM-1 and LM-2. I need 44mm-46mm case and a big crystal. Is Ti trendy, 'cause I like Ti too.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Usually classic but there are some exceptions.

The Swiss Army V7 is what I recently bought and I love the design. Not really trendy but very cool modern minimalist design. I have one in red and another one in yellow.

I also love the early 70's Accutron types. Nice 70's lounge look to those. Would look great with a retro chic outfit.

Classic 50's is a one of my favorites.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm more into classical looking watches. Round case, leather band/bracelet and either a plain face or chronograph. Maybe a bezel timer. Most importantly something that I won't get sick of looking at or wearing.

But how would you categorize a trendy watch though? I don't think that modern and trendy are necessarily the same thing. The only thing I can think of is wide bands, chunky (often square) cases with big digits. I don't think this is me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm more into classical looking watches. Round case, leather band/bracelet and either a plain face or chronograph. Maybe a bezel timer. Most importantly something that I won't get sick of looking at or wearing.

But how would you categorize a trendy watch though?
To me, a trendy watch would have the Spider man logo on it..... Or one of those watches that have a digital screen and analog combined. Something like of that nature. I saw one watch that has a built in remote control for an iPod. That's on the trendy side.

·
Registered
163 Posts
To me, a trendy watch would have the Spider man logo on it..... Or one of those watches that have a digital screen and analog combined. Something like of that nature. I saw one watch that has a built in remote control for an iPod. That's on the trendy side.
I would have thought that was gimmicky instead of trendy.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Found these definitions at Dictionary.com:

trend (trěnd)
n.
  1. The general direction in which something tends to move.
  2. A general tendency or inclination.
  3. Current style; vogue: the latest trend in fashion.
gim·mick (gĭm'ĭk)
n.
  1. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.
  2. An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.
  3. An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project: an advertising gimmick.
  4. A significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch.
  5. A small object whose name does not come readily to mind.
Using these definitions, I think both a Spiderman watch and a watch with remote iPod controls would be called gimmicky. Spiderman (or any other character, or movie actor, or sports team, or sports player, or even a corporate or other advertising logo) is promoting that particular franchise, which would fall under definition 3; The iPod controls would fall under definition 2 and would more properly be called a gadget.

"Trendy" would imply more general changes across a wider group of products, like increasing or decreasing case sizes, or case shapes (I see some "asymmetric" stuff out now that I wouldn't touch but my teenaged kids might like), or the use of new or "exotic" materials (rose gold? titanium? special leathers for straps?), or even face colors (red, green, purple, pink...you get the idea).

Personally, I like the more classic looks. I'm considering getting into vintage watches for that reason...but I haven't decided on where I want to start just yet.

Mike

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tough & Functional.

Best, Mike W.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts