WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered Melbourne Watch Company :)
I'm currently eyeing off the Parkville Rose and the Flinders Black.
I'm wondering if others have bought them, what they're like, do they go with several dress styles (casual, dressy), do they last well, do they look ok on a petite (female) wrist?

re Parkville:
I don't wear rose gold, but seem drawn to the mix of rose, blue, and white in the Parkville. It seems like a style that could go with anything, from work to weekend brekky (typical Melbournian!). I usually wear yellow gold jewellery, so not sure if the mix of colours in the Parkville will mean I can mix in yellow gold.

re Flinders:
I like the bold style and that I could wear this for formal work events. Not sure if the solid amounts of black in the Flinders will mean I can wear yellow gold without it looking weird against the silver.

My current watch is 10+ years old, a petite silver CK watch. I'm now ready to splash out for a fancy watch, but not sure the bigger styles will suit me.
I thought I spotted a guy on the train with a Melbourne watch, but I was starting to feel a bit creepy for staring.

I've seen several reviews 'out of the box', but can't find much from those who've worn them for a while and have a feel for them.

Any responses welcome :)

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I can't help you much but I have met the man behind MWC, he seems like a top bloke. For what it's worth I think the Parkville is his best model design-wise, and it has a Seiko 4R36 movement which scores extra brownie points in my book.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Flinders is a 40mm case vs the 36mm in the Parkville. Will that have an impact on your choice? Pretty sure I saw a photo on their Facebook page of a woman wearing the Parkville and it seemed to be a nice size for slimmer wrists.

I only recently discovered MWC myself with a Portsea Heritage on preorder and eagerly awaiting its release :blush:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hear good things about them, about to buy my first in the hawthorn range. Also probably buying a Parkville for my wife for our anniversary. I say take the plunge on the blue and gold Parkville, I find it a very striking watch.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Parkville looks stunning
At first I didn't like the Parkville rose, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. It's so different from most others on the market, and a nice change from the usual contenders that my friends buy (Daniel Wellington, Michael Kors, etc).

The difficult thing is that when you start researching pretty watches, your list of 'wants' becomes much longer :-(

I'll probably go with the smaller Parkville, as I'm not sure a 40mm will suit me.

Thanks for the feedback! |>

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I recently discovered Melbourne Watch Company :)
I'm currently eyeing off the Parkville Rose and the Flinders Black.
I'm wondering if others have bought them, what they're like, do they go with several dress styles (casual, dressy), do they last well, do they look ok on a petite (female) wrist?

re Parkville:
I don't wear rose gold, but seem drawn to the mix of rose, blue, and white in the Parkville. It seems like a style that could go with anything, from work to weekend brekky (typical Melbournian!). I usually wear yellow gold jewellery, so not sure if the mix of colours in the Parkville will mean I can mix in yellow gold.

re Flinders:
I like the bold style and that I could wear this for formal work events. Not sure if the solid amounts of black in the Flinders will mean I can wear yellow gold without it looking weird against the silver.

My current watch is 10+ years old, a petite silver CK watch. I'm now ready to splash out for a fancy watch, but not sure the bigger styles will suit me.
I thought I spotted a guy on the train with a Melbourne watch, but I was starting to feel a bit creepy for staring.

I've seen several reviews 'out of the box', but can't find much from those who've worn them for a while and have a feel for them.

Any responses welcome :)
You should check the Affordables forum, Melbourne has a few threads over there and plenty of happy owners.

Affordable watches

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/melbourne-watch-company-official-2015-news-thread-1417146.html

·
Registered
29,560 Posts
At first I didn't like the Parkville rose, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. It's so different from most others on the market, and a nice change from the usual contenders that my friends buy (Daniel Wellington, Michael Kors, etc).

The difficult thing is that when you start researching pretty watches, your list of 'wants' becomes much longer :-(

I'll probably go with the smaller Parkville, as I'm not sure a 40mm will suit me.

Thanks for the feedback! |>
Well in that style 40mm also wears bigger

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Watch buying is on hold (for now). Dad showed me his stash of unused watches. I spotted this one, a Longines quartz watch, for their 150th anniversary (1982). This one will certainly get a lot of wear!

IMG_20151005_162336.jpg

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've worn a MWC Flinders for 3 months now. It's a fantastic piece! The case is very well built and I've yet to put a scratch on it. Brushed sides are very attractive coupled with polished lugs. It's perfect at 40 mm for me. My only critique which I'm not the first to point out is the small, small crown. I really wish he would have made this a tad larger and easier to hand-wind and pull out. I bought the watch for $320 total on a pre-order sale in June. I personally think it's the best design by the company. The Portseas are beautiful but I like how the Flinders doesn't have all that thick ink print on it. I also really like how I've been able to match a black leather strap and a standard brown leather strap with the dial design of the Flinders.

To sum my experience up....I'd buy it again today.

Cue the song by Queen, "You're my best friend"....

20150724_213938.jpg 20150724_215039.jpg 20150725_022924.jpg 20150801_144813.jpg 20150708_231644.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've worn a MWC Flinders for 3 months now. It's a fantastic piece! The case is very well built and I've yet to put a scratch on it. Brushed sides are very attractive coupled with polished lugs. It's perfect at 40 mm for me. My only critique which I'm not the first to point out is the small, small crown. I really wish he would have made this a tad larger and easier to hand-wind and pull out. I bought the watch for $320 total on a pre-order sale in June. I personally think it's the best design by the company. The Portseas are beautiful but I like how the Flinders doesn't have all that thick ink print on it. I also really like how I've been able to match a black leather strap and a standard brown leather strap with the dial design of the Flinders.
I'm going with the Parkville as it's that little bit smaller. If it's ok for size, I might splash out on a Flinders down the track. I like the clean lines of the Flinders, and the white dial looks versatile for strap options.

·
Registered
288 Posts
How is your Parkville going Fiona?

I just ordered a Parkville for my wife. I showed her a review of it and she loved the photos. Like most watches, it will probably look even better on the wrist. I might "borrow" it some times ;-)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The watch is great! I put on a brown strap a few weeks ago, and it complements the rose gold really well. It now has a lovely retro classy look to it.

Which Parkville did you order? I'm sure your wife will love it! Good choice

uploadfromtaptalk1452203808600.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1452203820890.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts