WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was digging around the basement today looking for Xmas decorations and discovered this. My old Fossil quartz watch I bought in the mid 90’s and wore the hell out of. Scratched plexi, worn crown, crusty sweat patina on the braided leather strap. What I find interesting is that it’s a 36mm watch with 42mm lug to lug. I go back and forth these days about whether or not a sub 38mm watch will be too small for me. Evidently it wasn’t 25 years ago. My wrist size hasn’t changed so I’m going to stop debating watch size and enjoy the ride.

So how many WIS’ out there have a first watch lying around the house? What does it tell you about your current tastes?
The “crustier” the better.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Sadly (or fortunately?), no. Other than a few inherited watches from the mid-50's to mid-70's, I have none of my watches I wore from high school or college days. I don't even remember what they were. My earliest watch in my collection is a 1980 Casio Marlin square that was a 30th birthday present. Next oldest watch is a mid-80's Seiko Sports 100 Moonphase chrono which I bought new.

I have a couple of photos of me in the early 80's in the backcountry of So. Utah wearing what appears to be a dress watch on a black suede strap. I have absolutely no idea what that watch was. Damn weed...

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
No I do not - I had a boys Swiss made Orvin at 13 to 16 then I got an Orvin diver, a Swatch or two then picked up a Seiko Quartz sports 100 (bought in Hong Kong in early 1985) which was a kind of Submariner homage......but I do not have any of them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
No, but does a rebuy after 5 years count? 😅

The Blumo.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, and can't remember my first watch. It might have been an oval, gold-coloured quartz something-something with a red LED display. Pulsar? Sekonda? I don't know.

I have a clear memory of some of my father's watches though. They included a Rolex GMT-Master, a Breitling Navitimer, an Omega Seamaster and a Seiko. I have his Seamaster and the Seiko, and bought modern versions of the other two to recreate what he had.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sadly no. My grandfather gave me a watch in the late 60's that I destroyed. My skin reacts to the old pot metal cases before I realized I need to wear more inert materials. Many Timex watches died horrible deaths until I realized that. In fact I have an Orkina watch that the plating is starting to bubble up. At least it was only $10.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Is that a Pulsar? They were pretty pricey then!
Unfortunately no. I is manufactured or sold by a company called Leisurecraft Products. It was given to me as a kid but I do not remember exactly when. It needs a battery.When you push the button the display light up with red numbers. The tllo like little vacuum tube lights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Gruen was my watch in high school, along with about a dozen Swatches, none of which I still have. The Gucci was what I wore when I started working, but the alligator strap wore out all the time and the crystal broke so many times I couldn't count.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Yes, I remember that look. My uncle had a Pulsar that just had a dark red, almost black screen and when he pushed a button, the time lit up in red numbers. I used to think those were so cool! He said it cost him something like a thousand bucks in 1970 dollars. Digital products were so new, fascinating, and expensive then. I don't think he can sell it for 20 bucks today... unless the case is real gold of course.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Oldest I have is a working Casio G Shock 5200 but the year of purchase I'm not sure of. They were new at the time and I have often I got it in 1983 or 84. Great watch!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oldest I have is a working Casio G Shock 5200 but the year of purchase I'm not sure of. They were new at the time and I have often I got it in 1983 or 84. Great watch!
DW5200C, I have one too. Bought it in Manhattan when it was first introduced, which was 1984 (so that's probably when you got yours). Watch is in almost pristine condition (not from my caring for it) and I received a brand new old stock original bezel cover a year ago and had a spec battery installed. My oldest is the Pre-Shock or DW1000. I got that one in 1982 (so it's 38 years old) and it's also in perfect condition.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts