WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Here's my first watch, given to me sometime around 1972. Because it was a diver I could wear it permanently and did, so it got pretty beaten up and filthy.
The photos show it before and after I restored it last year.

The original plastic strap is long gone but I still have the four bezels and the box it came in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't remember my first watches but I know they were battery operated. I still have my first automatic, which I'll probably sell at some point. My 2nd automatic is a Lum-Tec M6, which I'll never part with. It is what drove my interest in automatic and manual watches. I'll post a picture of it when it returns from servicing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wish! My first was a Casio CFX-200 (IIRC).
I was 7 or 8 at the time and the idea of a calculator and watch.......mind blowing lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nope, and I don't mind it. My first one was a seiko 5 that didn't last long as I broke the date wheel mechanism
Moved on to better Seikos and don't look back often

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not my fi
Bulova Caravelle - 1970.jpg
rst watch, but the first "quality" watch I ever purchased. When I was in high school, a friend of my dads worked at a small jewelry store and gave me a "deal" on this watch. I think I paid in the $30-$40 range - a lot of $$$ for me back in 1970. I still have this hand-wind movement beast, and it still runs well! All original, too, including the bracelet (which is now just a bit tight for my 7.75" wrist.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think my first watch was probably a Casio F91. My dad had one and I begged for one like a spoiled brat. I have no clue where it is now, probably a landfill or something.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Who can remember back that far?!

But the answer is no.

I can only remember as far back as a Seiko Sports 100, which I sold for no good reason.

I have pictures from my youth while wearing other watches but they are unrecognizable to identify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife was digging around the basement today looking for Xmas decorations and discovered this. My old Fossil quartz watch I bought in the mid 90’s and wore the hell out of. Scratched plexi, worn crown, crusty sweat patina on the braided leather strap. What I find interesting is that it’s a 36mm watch with 42mm lug to lug. I go back and forth these days about whether or not a sub 38mm watch will be too small for me. Evidently it wasn’t 25 years ago. My wrist size hasn’t changed so I’m going to stop debating watch size and enjoy the ride.

So how many WIS’ out there have a first watch lying around the house? What does it tell you about your current tastes?
The “crustier” the better.

View attachment 15559882
My first ever automatic bout at age 16 in the 80's a Seiko 5, what else do you buy that is inexpensive, keeps great time and can take a beating. I still have the watch and it runs great when worn but not much power reserve now. Only thing I have done to watch recently is replaced the plexi crystal. I love this watch, it's been half way round the world, seen a lot of women come and go, still looks great and I think it still looks quite fashionable even by today's
standards. One to pass down to me son.

·
Registered
39,778 Posts
Who can remember back that far?!

But the answer is no.

I can only remember as far back as a Seiko Sports 100, which I sold for no good reason.

I have pictures from my youth while wearing other watches but they are unrecognizable to identify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can remember when Babe Ruth died and VJ Day.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Still have my first watch, a Seiko quartz which is 48 years old but gave up the ghost a few years back. It was a High School graduation gift from my parents. Can’t throw away a memory👍🏼

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
None of my childhood watches. And there were a few. I do have a few inherited watches, and I have this! I bought this ESQ in the late 90’s. I want to say 98? I would have been 21. I wore the hell out of it. Cracked the crystal (a piece is actually missing), and eventually, 1 chrono hand fell off. It remained floating around and never fell out of the crack. I eventually put it back on.

This was the first “nice” watch I ever bought. Paid a few hundred for it from a watch outlet store at the Woodbury common outlets just north of NYC. Decent quartz movement. I believe a 6 jewel ETA.

I still have the original bracelet, but lost 1 end link. That’s probably why I put the watch aside. It went awol for a decade until my father found it. Popped in a battery and it ran.....for a bit. Then it died. Tried other batteries, nothing.

I’ve toyed with the idea of replacing the crystal and movement, and restoring it.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I had a bunch of watches as a kid and younger man and sadly, they're all gone. The one I miss the most is a quartz Heuer Diver Professional - basically a Submariner copy - that my dad purchased for me when we visited Bermuda on a family vacation circa 1980. I remember being super proud to wear it because it looked just like my dad's Rolex aside from the jubilee bracelet.

(something like this)

I'm vocally, perhaps tediously, anti-homage but this one has a special place in my heart. One of these days, I'll track one down on the used market.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts