WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am looking for a beater to merry myself for Christmas :)

I should use it mostly at work (office) so it needs to be quite dressy (no diver). However, as I am rather clumsy, I tend to knock my watches on doors or desks occasionally. Also, I do not like crown guards. Thus, the screwed crown is a must.

Also, I do not like day. Date is ok but not a must.

I looked quite alot but the only one I could find around 500 $ is the Seiko Alpinist. But the Alpinist is rather sporty so it is not on my taste.

Note that quartz could also be ok if the watch is good looking. Seiko used to have a nice and dressy GMT with screwed crown - unfortunately it is discontinued and difficult to find these days.

So my specs are:

sport/dress style
non-diver
screwed crown
not larger than 40mm
no day
date ok, no date also ok
around 500 $
Mechanical (auto) prefered. Quartz also ok.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
I would look into a diver with an internal bezel. That would give you the clean look you want with e features you want.

No specific models come to mind, but I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so much feedback :-(

I found a Smiths Everest that seems to be a nice homage of Rolex Explorer:

I am fine with wearing homages but not at the office (some people can get the wrong idea).

I guess there are not so many non-divers screwed crown models available after all. I wonder why - the price is not a problem as there are many divers within 500 $ range.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Citizen bm 6400, these are a bit sporty though, check the sales forum there is a pro master version there now. They have excellent lume.
Rusty

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Citizen bm 6400, these are a bit sporty though, check the sales forum there is a pro master version there now. They have excellent lume.
Rusty
This military (field) style watch seem to be a good choice. I will consider it. Thanks

·
Registered
12,033 Posts

I found a Smiths Everest that seems to be a nice homage of Rolex Explorer:

I am fine with wearing homages but not at the office (some people can get the wrong idea).

I guess there are not so many non-divers screwed crown models available after all. I wonder why - the price is not a problem as there are many divers within 500 $ range.

Any other suggestions?

I don't many people would know that was the old painted lume dial style on the very old Explorer watches. Most people only know the modern applied numeral dial.
If this is the kind of watch you are after, how about the good old Seiko SNX watches?

I think they are SNX111 and SNX121.
Black is also available.
Of course, they are also arguably made in the Explorer/Aqua Terra/Master Control style.

Edit:
Not entirely sure if they have a screw down crown though.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Check out Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Autos......several non divers with screwed crowns..& only date.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the suggestions so far. Tissot PRC line looks pretty neat. I searched for a Hamilton khaki but I cannot find one with screwed crown. The Kemmner is quite nice - I love the marine chrono style. But again, the watch shows only 5 ATM WR - so I am afraid is not screwed crown. Keep looking for other options before a decision.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions so far. Tissot PRC line looks pretty neat. I searched for a Hamilton khaki but I cannot find one with screwed crown. The Kemmner is quite nice - I love the marine chrono style. But again, the watch shows only 5 ATM WR - so I am afraid is not screwed crown. Keep looking for other options before a decision.
The Kemmner may be only rated 5 ATM (which does mean you ought to be able to take it over 150 feet under water), but it does have a screwed down crown. I know as my wife owns one.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Any other suggestions?

So my specs are:

sport/dress style
non-diver
screwed crown
not larger than 40mm
no day
date ok, no date also ok
around 500 $
Mechanical (auto) prefered. Quartz also ok.
Hello Orex... I can suggest the UG ref. 7149:

1. sport/dress style:
a) reasonably but not excessively thin (7mm)
b) the sides are satin brushed with thin high polish edges to the profile which gives a pleasing dress/sport versatility, decorated back, the twisted lugs are compatible with dressy or sports. (in fact the case is based on the Polerouter and was made for UG by one of the top Swiss casemakers in Canton Jura)
c) dial: dressy with applied logo and applied faceted indices, dauphin hands, heat-blued seconds. But a hint of sportiness with the 1/5s track (similarly with the Eterna 1948). Also reasonably clean and balanced dial writing.
d) domed sapphire crystal
e) 10 ATM (100m) WR therefore good for sports/swimming.
f) OEM choice of bracelet for sport / or alligator leather deployant strap for dress. (the bracelet is Swiss made too. the leather strap shown in this pic is aftermarket as i didn't want to wear out the OEM)

2. non diver: yes

3. screwed crown: yes. (also the crown is signed with the old UG logo (within a shield) in relief)

4. not larger than 40mm: it's 37mm, which I think is still a reasonable size, and wears well on the wrist due to its lug-lug length. (37mm used to be a good size for men, and indeed remains a good size for the purpose of dressiness - for example PP still make their watches around 37mm)

5. no day: date only.

6. around $500: well this is a long-discontinued watch therefore I don't know but I think probably yes if you can find it NOS or pre-owned... I would guess for about $200 ? as UG is a very unpopular brand therefore secondary market values are poor. However this reference was made in small numbers and rarely if ever comes up but you never know. They also made it in various dial executions, and also in 18k solid gold case (which as you can imagine costed a lot more... as i recall the list price for the 18k version was about 8-9000 S.fr and that was about 20 yrs ago... I opted for the stainless steel case.)

7. mechanical: yes, and COSC'd.

Dressy on leather...

Or sporty on bracelet...

In summary, a nice thin watch (in my opinion, although it may not be to everyone's taste) that I think meets your criteria.

But I think you are right, there really aren't many non-diver watches that get the rather elusive blend of dress/sport versatility- regardless of budget - the Omega AT being one other that comes to mind.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This UG looks really impressive. From my price checking on eBay, such a model (Chronometer, excellent case and dial, etc) would sell for much more than 500$. Anyhow, good suggestion, thanks. I was considering only new watches, I will look into vintage too.

Hello Orex... I can suggest the UG ref. 7149:

1. sport/dress style:
a) reasonably but not excessively thin (7mm)
b) the sides are satin brushed with thin high polish edges to the profile which gives a pleasing dress/sport versatility, decorated back, the twisted lugs are compatible with dressy or sports. (in fact the case is based on the Polerouter and was made for UG by one of the top Swiss casemakers in Canton Jura)
c) dial: dressy with applied logo and applied faceted indices, dauphin hands, heat-blued seconds. But a hint of sportiness with the 1/5s track (similarly with the Eterna 1948). Also reasonably clean and balanced dial writing.
d) domed sapphire crystal
e) 10 ATM (100m) WR therefore good for sports/swimming.
f) OEM choice of bracelet for sport / or alligator leather deployant strap for dress. (the bracelet is Swiss made too. the leather strap shown in this pic is aftermarket as i didn't want to wear out the OEM)

2. non diver: yes

3. screwed crown: yes. (also the crown is signed with the old UG logo (within a shield) in relief)

4. not larger than 40mm: it's 37mm, which I think is still a reasonable size, and wears well on the wrist due to its lug-lug length. (37mm used to be a good size for men, and indeed remains a good size for the purpose of dressiness - for example PP still make their watches around 37mm)

5. no day: date only.

6. around $500: well this is a long-discontinued watch therefore I don't know but I think probably yes if you can find it NOS or pre-owned... I would guess for about $200 ? as UG is a very unpopular brand therefore secondary market values are poor. However this reference was made in small numbers and rarely if ever comes up but you never know. They also made it in various dial executions, and also in 18k solid gold case (which as you can imagine costed a lot more... as i recall the list price for the 18k version was about 8-9000 S.fr and that was about 20 yrs ago... I opted for the stainless steel case.)

7. mechanical: yes, and COSC'd.

Dressy on leather...

Or sporty on bracelet...

In summary, a nice thin watch (in my opinion, although it may not be to everyone's taste) that I think meets your criteria.

But I think you are right, there really aren't many non-diver watches that get the rather elusive blend of dress/sport versatility- regardless of budget - the Omega AT being one other that comes to mind.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
The Seiko Alpinist (SARB015 here, SARB017 is the green dialed model) is 200m WR, has shiny bits to keep it dressier and is overall fantastic. Buy one; you won't regret it!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, I looked at the Aplpinist but I find it too sporty although the variand with triangular markers from your pic seem dressier. But I find no utility for the rotating bezel at the office - this is kind of a turn off.

The Seiko Alpinist (SARB015 here, SARB017 is the green dialed model) is 200m WR, has shiny bits to keep it dressier and is overall fantastic. Buy one; you won't regret it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts