WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you put it away for the night, do you stop the chrono from running? Is there any harm to letting run all the time. I would guess starting it stopping it puts wear on it as well?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,768 Posts
When you put it away for the night, do you stop the chrono from running? Is there any harm to letting run all the time. I would guess starting it stopping it puts wear on it as well?
The only time I would run the chrono would be to time something. Otherwise it seems kind of pointless to allow those hand to just whiz around.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Better yet...why would you let your chrono run all the time? Stopping it at night isn't even an option...because it shouldn't be running all the time to begin with.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Do you let your chrono's run all the time?

Yes, but it was a digital Casio.

I won't let any mechanical chronograph run beyond my need just for fun.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Would you let a stopwatch run continuously? A chronograph is a type of stopwatch.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Only if I'm timing something will I run my chrono; otherwise, there's no point.

·
Banned
626 Posts
So reportedly there is less wear when you keep a chrono with vertical clutch engaged (running) rather than disengaged. That's interesting. I am not sure about the mechanics of it. But this may be why I have the impression that I get slightly HIGHER power reserve when the chrono on my SpringDrive Chrono 5R86 is running. Strange, no? A friend with a Ph.D. in physics told me that it might have something to do with the gearing running more efficiently under a certain load, same as with a car. Sounds plausible. But maybe my impression just deceives me. I have never actually stopped the time because I don't like to reset the watch and I wouldn't be able to wear it for more than six days since PR is 72 hours.

·
Registered
14,437 Posts
Only to time something? Aw c'mon, why so serious?
I don't let my chrono run all the time, but I KNOW I can't be the only person who just likes to see the chrono sec hand run around the track *for a while* for no reason.
I love to see mine run every now and then: I press the pusher on mine, when I'm stuck in traffic in a cab, or a boring meeting.
A whole world of wondrous beauty just opens right up before me,... while the dull world of reality of honking and gobbledygook just fades...

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Only to time something? Aw c'mon, why so serious?
I don't let my chrono run all the time, but I KNOW I can't be the only person who just likes to see the chrono sec hand run around the track *for a while* for no reason.
I love to see mine run every now and then: I press the pusher on mine, when I'm stuck in traffic in a cab, or a boring meeting.
A whole world of wondrous beauty just opens right up before me,... while the dull world of reality of honking and gobbledygook just fades...
Indeed. I love the feel of the pushers clicking too. But I can't stand the asymmetry of the second hand and subdials when they're not at 12 so I tend to leave it off :-(

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I let my chronos run because it tells me how much money I'm making every second.

Now I know why Abramovich used to wear a crappy plastic digital watch, it seems that he lets the stopwatch run all the time :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I like watching a sweeping second hand. I get some really don't like but will it hurt anything.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So reportedly there is less wear when you keep a chrono with vertical clutch engaged (running) rather than disengaged. That's interesting. I am not sure about the mechanics of it. But this may be why I have the impression that I get slightly HIGHER power reserve when the chrono on my SpringDrive Chrono 5R86 is running. Strange, no? A friend with a Ph.D. in physics told me that it might have something to do with the gearing running more efficiently under a certain load, same as with a car. Sounds plausible. But maybe my impression just deceives me. I have never actually stopped the time because I don't like to reset the watch and I wouldn't be able to wear it for more than six days since PR is 72 hours.
SD movements power reserve is higher if you leave chrono running, that is correct. I read it from some Seiko-catalog I have. Someone said that it could be close to 100 hours, but not sure about that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts