WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do:

What I like the most are the straight slim indices (in the line of Hi-Beat SBGH001/5) and the case shape. Talking about the case shape, the lug design reminds me of recent Omegas which in my opinion adds flavor to the watch. They made the bracelet plain but it's ok (probably it's better like that). I'm curious about the case back. What I don't really like is the busy sub minute indices on the automatics, but thankfully they made it right (each minute is divided to 4 in accordance to the 4 Hertz frequency of the movement).

What do you think? For those who already have one (or several!), how is the finishing compared to the other models?

More pics:

Automatic:
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/collection/pimg/498_760/SBGR069.png

Quartz:
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/collection/pimg/498_760/SBGX085.png

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I do:

What I like the most are the straight slim indices (in the line of Hi-Beat SBGH001/5) and the case shape. Talking about the case shape, the lug design reminds me of recent Omegas which in my opinion adds flavor to the watch. They made the bracelet plain but it's ok (probably it's better like that). I'm curious about the case back. What I don't really like is the busy sub minute indices on the automatics, but thankfully they made it right (each minute is divided to 4 in accordance to the 4 Hertz frequency of the movement).

What do you think? For those who already have one (or several!), how is the finishing compared to the other models?

More pics:

Automatic:
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/collection/pimg/498_760/SBGR069.png

Quartz:
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/collection/pimg/498_760/SBGX085.png
I'm neutral toward the design. I'd prefer the more traditional GS styling personally. They're just a little too...futuristic I suppose.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I feel the exact opposite to the OP. I hate hate hate the new twisted lugs. I like the sub-minute markers (I think they really help delineate that the watch is mechanical). I'd have to see the new crown guard up close to know how I feel about it. it looks like the out edge of the dial is angled, so there is more depth to the dial, which could go either way. I'm not fond of the red-tipped seconds hand on some models. The only thing that makes this model compelling over some of the older ones is the size, but I'd rather have the older SBGR057 as my 'active' watch. That design seemed more cohesive and futuristic at the same time.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I think they're beautiful.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
They're OK I guess. This is not an informed opinion, but I think they look like dress watches that have a few "active" features tacked on. Seiko should have done more to turn them into true sport watches.

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
They're OK I guess. This is not an informed opinion, but I think they look like dress watches that have a few "active" features tacked on. Seiko should have done more to turn them into true sport watches.
I just don't think these models needed any touch up. The "basic" GSes were all classic, conservative pieces. They make some sport watches too, like the chronograph or their GMT/diver model. I just would have made an altogether new design and reused a 9S or a 9R.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I just checked a couple of Japanese sites about these new master shop limited edition models. It seems they are targeted at young professionals (20s & 30s).

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I am not a fan of exhibition casebacks.......& it seems like newer GS models have them.....except for their quartz models.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's definitely not ugly.

It's a very nice looking watch, but IMPO not the "right" design... Just a feeling, no logical explanation.

·
Registered
312 Posts
CitizenM said:
I love exhibition casebacks. I will not buy a mechanical watch that doesn't have one.
I also prefer exhibition backs... Especially on watches that have a really simple design.

People look at your simple watch... But then they see some crazy mechanical stuff going on inside from the back, it's a sublime experience :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Still waiting for more pictures to come out before forming an opinion... but agree with OP, they do look similar to Aqua Terras. I like the silver dial/blue second hand SBGR069 better though.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I really like them, especially the new blue-dial quartz GS, SBGX087:

SBGX087 is my favorite as well. Nice, rich and deep blue dial. I am partial to the 9F83 day/date models (Cheaper than these, SBGT037/035) but I also like the case of these newly released active line models.

These are also the very first regular production "Master Shop" quartz models in quite some time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts