WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Do you prefer the old Stowa logo to the new logo?

• Yes, I prefer the old logo.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • No, the new logo looks just fine.

Votes: 22 24.2%
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like almost everyone, I prefer the old logo. However the company has defended their new logo and seems unwilling to return to the previous one. Perhaps they might bring it out sometimes in limited editions, for the few WIS who care?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Agreed. I did a concept post on exactly that idea - Stowa OLLE
This is the answer IMHO. I didn't get a Stowa until after they'd transitioned to the new logo so I don't really have a horse in this race but I think the new logo is contemporary, tasteful and fits their aesthetic well. I think some of the more themed designs (Partitio, Antea Back to Bauhaus, etc) should have limited editions with the old logo (or put it on a rotor or somesuch as others have suggested), but the new logo is great. The big "S" is very early-century.

Reactions: Tom Kellie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree, the old logo looks much better and should be an option on certain models such as the Antea and MO. Sorry Jorge, the new logo is bland to my eyes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've alway thought Stowa should use the old logo on their classic designs (Antea, classic fliegers, marine, etc) and the new logo on modern designs (TO1, TO2, Prodiver, etc).
I think that's a great solution. The old logo fits their classic models better from a design standpoint. I always thought the new logo in the fliegers looked out of place.

·
Registered
10,187 Posts
It really depends on the watch. On some, the old logo looks better. On others, the new one looks better.

Personally, I think both are good; the new logo has a nicer, more modern "thin" font which looks good on dials that otherwise only have thick bulky lines.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Just my opinion but, just like a catchy tune that sticks In your head, the lazy S serves the same purpose by catching your attention, something that I feel is lacking from the new logo which I think is a tad too sterile and lacking character.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
The new is so unobjectionably neutral that I can't find anything bad about it but much prefer the old one with the special S.
Changing from a well established logo is serious business and a big deal for any company and I wonder what the rationale was behind the change.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Changing from a well established logo is serious business and a big deal for any company and I wonder what the rationale was behind the change.
Well, we can only guess, but my hypothesis is that it's Stowa's strategic goal to broaden its market beyond just people interested in the early-20th century models. Sure, the Fliegers, Marines and Anteas are fundamental to the Stowa brand (and will likely retain their appeal anyway), but if you look at Joerg's own style, and recent additions to the lineup you can see a markedly different design direction.

The new logo fits much better with this new 'contemporary' part of the portfolio which may be crucial for the brand's growth.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like almost everyone, I prefer the old logo. However the company has defended their new logo and seems unwilling to return to the previous one. Perhaps they might bring it out sometimes in limited editions, for the few WIS who care?
Excellent suggestion!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
......but if you look at Joerg's own style, and recent additions to the lineup you can see a markedly different design direction.
Yes,
you are right with your statement.
It's a debatable point whether those 'new look' watches are economically equivalent or even more successful than the old ones.
A change only for change's sake can be dangerous for any business being dependant on their customers' approval - time will tell,

Volker

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes,
you are right with your statement.
It's a debatable point whether those 'new look' watches are economically equivalent or even more successful than the old ones.
They don't have to be, because they're an addition rather than a replacement. Unless you believe that all their watches need to appeal to all people ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They don't have to be promising? Do you consider those watches as Joerg's hobby?
Additional assortment can be a lame duck?
That's not my opinion,
I'm not sure where in my reply I said anything of the sort.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
What does it relate to?
They don't have to be equivalent or more successful. Every brand has volume models and exclusive premium models. And I'm sure a passionate watch designer such as Joerg Schauer has more ambition than to stick to rehashing the same old boring Fliegers until the end of days.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think they do have to be more successful. New models, new ascetics, styles, designs, should be the path forward, not just 'additions'. Brands that put their best foot forward attract new attention, coverage, and buyers to their brand. Stowa has done very well using the designs of the past, but if they want to continue their success they will have to begin producing new designs that attract new customers. And every Stowa that I have bought has only been from the vintage reissue lines.

Stowa needs new designs that garner attention from new customers. Vintage reissues are great but that strategy only works for so long.

·
Registered
10,187 Posts
They maybe have to be equally or more successful (I doubt it, btw), but more importantly, they need (or should) satisfy a slightly different audience, not the core traditionalists. Becuase the only thing the traditionalists actually want is to get exact replicas of 100 year old design with as little change as possible. They don't need new designs, so the new designs should not be aimed at the traditionalists.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts