WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
I like it. I bought a Black Bay 58 on steel when I had the option to and u was mulling over the GMT variation. OP: the fake rivets are a nod to the vintage history of these watches so it was intentional rather than Tudor cutting corners on costs.

I was considering selling my Black Bay 58 as it didn't get enough wrist time when I got my explorer. I ended up getting burgled whilst I was away so unfortunately my Tudor got stolen. I don't miss it and ultimately I think I would have sold it and got a GMT instead. In hindsight I think I would have missed the GMT a lot more had it been that watch which was taken. My decision to not get a GMT now is that I plan on getting a Rolex GMT whether it be an Explorer 2 polar or one of the Pepsi/Batman/Rootbeer variations towards the end of the year.

If I had no plans on getting another Rolex, I'd consider the Tudor GMT. I found it a little big and case heavy when I tried it on but that so early in my collecting days that I am bound to feel different now considering I've worn watches as large as a Sea Dweller 43mm. I saw this photo on Instagram and though I don't know who it belongs to it looks absolutely gorgeous:

20200505_081606_1588663163432.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
When this was released at Basel I thought it looked amazing and couldn't wait to see it in the flesh. I visited my local AD and put down a deposit only to find there was a long waiting list. After hearing many horror stories about the date wheel, I decided to get the deposit back and look for something else. I was a little disappointed as I still thought the watch was fantastic...

Fast forward just over 12 months and I've still not seen or tried on the watch. I'm passing the same AD - they have one in the window, on leather. My usual rule is to always buy watches on a bracelet where possible, but after trying the watch on, I thought 'rules are to be broken' and took the watch home with me. It did help that the watch also looks great on leather, and the clasp is well executed by Tudor. A couple months later, I ordered the bracelet to have best of both worlds. After several months of ownership I'm still very happy with the watch and during lockdown it's gotten more wrist time than my Omega or Rolex. The handset, the bezel, the accuracy, the functionality, the design - they're all spot on in my eyes. I don't even mind the rivets on the bracelet, these go completely unnoticed to me.

As much as I enjoy the watch and it's firm keeper in my collection, there are a couple of things which bother me, and these both relate to the Tudor bracelet. Firstly, not a big gripe, but the 22mm width - it sometimes looks a bit bulky, and I think if Tudor could've designed the BBs with a 20mm bracelet, it would be a lot more elegant. Secondly, the lack of on the go adjustability in the clasp - it's an easy addition which would take the comfort of the watch to the next level for me and it perplexes me why companies aren't offering this on all luxury models where possible. As the weather is warming up, I've often found the watch getting a little tight on wrist. The answer to this is obviously a nato or other aftermarket strap, but it's a little bit of a shame because the bracelet is very nice and wears well.

I would add that lot of people focus on the height of the watch but this isn't something which bothers me and I don't think it's much different to many other dive/tool watches. The case back is very flat and while the case side is larger than most other watches, these tend to have a thicker case back. The Tudor also has a domed crystal which adds a little. On the wrist and in perspective, it wears and looks fine and the case profile only adds to the tool aesthetic which is something I like.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I love my Black Bay GMT, except for the date issue requiring two trips to RSC, and the 22mm bracelet making it wear quite broad.

That aside, it's my favourite GMT on the market. There are not many GMT with independently adjustable hour hand and a 24 hours rotating bezel, two features that I consider essential for a GMT travel watch, it's pretty much just Rolex/Tudor, Omega and Seiko/Grand Seiko that offers them.

Of the ones on the market today, the Omega PO GMT makes the BB GMT look slim, the Seiko/GS options are Spring Drive (I prefer my watches purely mechanical), and I'm not a fan of the Rolex GMT, as I dislike shiny bezel, cyclops and crown guard.

If they offer the BB GMT in a 58 size, that will be pretty much perfection, but until then, the BB GMT is my favourite GMT on the market.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Immensely. The owning and wearing experience has been extraordinary.

I knew I wanted it from the moment it was first revealed and it has not disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Perfect travel watch. Wanted in from the moment it was released, I know I will get a lot of flak but for me it is a better watch in many aspects than 126710 BLRO. Modern movement, 70hrs PR, 200m WR, superb accuracy, vintage vibe with the aluminium bezel insert. The watch has a permanent place in my collection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
For me, a lot of my gripes were with the rivet bracelet and not the watch. Swap to a fitted rubber and all was cured.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I find it awesome on leather, nato, rubber... the rivet is pretty meh for me. Never had the dreaded date issue. Hard to beat, IMO.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve had mine since November last year. I firmly believe it will be in my collection for a long time. When I first tried it on the height jumped out, but that was accentuated by the fact I was wearing an old model IWC ingenieur which is relatively thin.

Once you’ve had it on for a while the height just stops being an issue, but is hard to ignore if you’ve just seen pictures. As others have said it wears very well.

I would prefer a bracelet without the faux rivets, but they really aren’t very noticeable (I didn’t see them at first)! I would also prefer a Pelagos style clasp for the warmer months.

These very minor points aside I love the aluminium bezel, its font and deep red and blue looks great. I also love the lack of crown guards, big crown and lack of a cyclops.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think it’s a very good watch. Great power reserve and built strong like a brick. I’m just unsure if I’ll keep it forever or if I’ll eventually move on from it if the opportunity presents itself to get a good 16710.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't like the coin bezel, the bracelet, or the font they used for the gmt bezel, so no.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are some great pics in this thread. Love the GMT, it doesn’t get enough time in the rotation but that’s not its fault. The aluminum bezel, vintage feel, simplicity of the dial, and the bracelet - all make for a great travel watch.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
There are some great pics in this thread. Love the GMT, it doesn’t get enough time in the rotation but that’s not its fault. The aluminum bezel, vintage feel, simplicity of the dial, and the bracelet - all make for a great travel watch.
Yup, indeed!

Needed a lot of color in my life today. Ha!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is crazy is that due to the aluminum bezel, in 30 years, will we see faded bezels and watches coming up on eBay? Kind of cool to think about that - not trying to predict the future, but, its an interesting homage to the past, and what is a potential.

With that said, I love my GMT. It gets a lot of time on the wrist but, I do wish it had ONE thing - drilled lugs - for easy strap changes. Much like a Rolex bracelet, the Tudor is finicky to remove if you are not careful.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts