WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have flipped watches, there doubtless is one or more that you regret having let go. Having bought and sold well over 100 watches the last few years, I have quite a few. Below are my Top Ten lamented former watches, in order of how much I miss them – any one of which I would like to have back in my possession (although not badly enough to pay what they would cost me today ;-)):

Rolex "OPX" (a 116000 Oyster Perpetual with 14060 hands)
I still kick myself often for ever getting rid of this watch. I had my Rolex watchmaker obtain and install the new hands, and the watch was perfect. In part, I blame Omega, because they came out with the (slightly) thinner 39.5mm PO, and I really wanted one. So rather than follow my usual custom of buying the new watch, then deciding which would be sacrificed, I sold the OPX first. The PO was an unmitigated disaster: Too shiny, too thick and TOO HEAVY! I flipped it for another watch on my Top Ten list, the Gen2 39mm Explorer with lumed numerals.

Rolex OPX-wrist 2.jpg Rolex OPX-¾ lume.jpg

Omega Broad Arrow 3551.20
Years ago, after reading John Holbrook's "impartial" comparison of the Daytona and Gen1 Broad Arrow, I was convinced that the BA was the watch for me. It was thicker than the Daytona, but I liked the 39mm diameter and the Omega bracelet and clasp were head-and-shoulders above the Daytona. Sadly, this watch was a victim of my Wrist Frisbee Madness, and I flipped it because it was "too small." o|

Omega BA 39mm E.jpg Omega BA 39mm A.jpg

Omega Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
The watch worn by DC was the 38.5mm AT, so I always think of this as the true Skyfall watch. I loved this watch so much that I stopped wearing my SubC (!!!), leading me eventually to flip the Submariner (and it appears next on this list of lamentations).

Omega AT Skyfall D.JPG

Rolex Submariner 116610LN
I got a super deal on my Sub, buying it within a few days from a friend who was a flight attendant for Delta (they have a couple of Rolex ADs who sell them deeply discounted Rolexes, which is why you see so many flight crews sporting Rolex). Seriously, it was brand new and cost me well below the then-retail price ... probably half what one would cost today (if you could find one). Needless to say, I regret letting this iconic watch go. I've owned several Submariners over the years, including a 114060 I bought later, but the 116610LN was my favorite ... especially on a dive. Probably too heavy for a day-to-day watch now, and a Sub really should be a daily wearer to maximize its potential.

RolexSubP.jpg Rolex Sub-C on dive.jpg

Rolex Daytona
While I miss my 3551.20 Broad Arrow more, I eventually scored a great deal on a stainless-and-gold Daytona. I loved the thinness of this chronograph, as most others are way too thick (especially those using the VJ775x and variations). Unfortunately, my Rolex watchmaker would not work on chronographs, which meant it would have to go to Nesbit's for service. I also missed the date (which is why my 114060 is not on this list). And the screw-down pushers were a turnoff for me, especially after owning several Omega chronos with the same water resistance and no need for screw-down pushers.

Rolex Daytona-¾ lume.jpg

Omega Planet Ocean 2201.50
Even though I have owned several POs, this was my first and still my favorite. I even wrote a requiem for it when the Gen2s were released. Admittedly, I had the dreaded stoppage shortly after I bought it, and it had to go to the Miami SSC for repair (where they introduced some new scratches :-|) . But it kept flawless time after that service. In retrospect, it was too big for daily wear. But it was both cheap (I think I paid about $2500 new from the AD) and beautiful, so it could be a nice occasional wear in the collection (sort of like my Doxa is now). I am far from alone in believing that the Gen1 POs were the best of the lot, never to be equaled.

Omega Planet Ocean L.jpg

Omega Seamaster 120 Plongeur DeLuxe
There are a lot of reasons I miss this watch: It was a great size (ø38mm by 10mm thick); it had one of Genta's best designs; the quartz movement had a motor for setting the seconds and minutes hands plus a jumping hours hand, which I really liked; it had a built-in extension bracelet that could expand by about 20mm, covering a 5mm wetsuit sleeve; and it was dressy enough to look good with a suit. Best of all, I bought it NOS at Spritzer & Fuhrman, the Omega AD in St. Martin 33 years ago at a closeout price of $615 (!!! - for a stainless and gold watch!). Yes, I made money when I sold it years later ... but that watch is a perfect utility watch and even a great daily wearer (and it has been on countless dives with me, from Hatteras to the Bahamas to the USVI).

Omega Seasamaster 120 14k D.jpg

Omega Seamaster 120 Multi-function
I've always liked the Bond bracelets (I know some don't, but even after 25 years it still is tops with me). I also liked watches with multiple timing functions that still looked like watches (i.e.-NOT like an Ironman). This watch, released in the late-90s, was the perfect combination. It had a nice 38mm diameter, it was thinner than a Datejust, and it had lots of functions I liked: A chronograph; a countdown-timer with alarm; a recurring 24-hour alarm; a second (GMT) time zone; and the ability to show some - or none - of the digital functions on the gorgeous blue dial. Like the BA and the Plongeur DeLuxe, it was a victim of my Wrist Frisbee Madness. So sad.

Omega SM-Multi F.jpg

Rolex Explorer 214270 (Gen2)
I always liked the Explorer, especially after they upgraded it with the new bracelet and clasp. But I HATED those shiny, unlumed numerals at 3-6-9. That really was why I created my own "OPX" with the OP and Sub hands. The OPX had the lumed numerals, had the more desirable 36mm diameter, and I really liked blue more than black (especially Rolex's sunburst blue dial). I flipped my SubC because I loved my new Skyfall AT, then flipped the AT to buy a blue OP, then flipped that to buy that awful Gen3 PO, then flipped that to buy the Gen2 Explorer, where they finally added lume to the numerals. I'm not sure why I let this one go. Perhaps I just never warmed to the 39mm size. Perhaps I pined for the blue dial of my OPX. Perhaps I was just temporarily insane (that happens a lot with the buying and selling of watches). It went to a happy and appreciative home, so that offers some consolation. But I still miss it.

Rolex Explorer-¾ lume.jpg

Ebel Classic Wave LE
There was a time I wanted a nice 18k gold dress watch, preferably in rose gold (more durable and less flashy). And I also always had a soft spot for Ebel, a fine watch that never got the respect it deserved in the US. I've owned several Ebels over the years, and my wife still has a couple. This, however, was my favorite. It was a limited edition with a Girard-Perregaux movement (small seconds at 9:00). It had a delightful leather strap with a solid 18k foldover clasp. The display back really showed off the beautifully decorated G-P movement. It was ø37mm and quite thin, but actually wore larger on the wrist. For someone who never really liked straps, this was a rare exception for me. It went perfectly with anything I was wearing (except beach attire), from slacks-and-Polo to a suit. Why did I let it go? Because I got it at a NOS clearance for a steal, and wound up selling it for three times what I paid for it. Still, it was such a classy watch and would be a great occasional watch in my collection.

Ebel Classic Wave 18k F.jpg

So there you have it: My ten most-regretted flips. Surely you have some you regret, and I hope you will post them on this thread for all of us to enjoy (and to make me feel slightly better about my foolish decision making ;-) ).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wowsaaaaa!!! That's some serious regret list you got there.

How on earth do you flip all of them?! I struggled to sell my Submariner Hulk eventually, ended up keeping it...

My regret is my 16710, I didn't make a profit on it as I went grey... Out of curiosity, where do you sell?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I think this depressed me too :D

Reactions: iinsic

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity, where do you sell?
Most of them were sold on the WUS FS forum. You can do a deep dive to find the listings there, or you can do a deep dive on the Feedback forum to see my many positive reviews. In the early years, I also sold some on Amazon and on eBay, but the vast majority were on WUS. And there are several members who bought two, three or four watches from me. I always gave top value to my buyers.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Quite a list OP. Not what I was expecting to find when I opened that post. I have only sold one watch ever. And I thought about it for years before selling it. Once it was sold I never looked back.

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The watch i regreted selling was an Omega Speedy Pro sapphire sandwich. I literally got back from the post office and regreted it, i knew then and there i would have to purchase another Speedy.

I now have a replacement, however this time i went for a Hesalite version (the clarity of the dial is much improved) with the ss case back.
I swapped out the caseback for an aftermarket sapphire display back, so now have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had 5 Tin Tins - regret selling the first 4 too early. :(

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I don't have any regrets but had my WIS heart broken when I got rid of a troublesome 2500 PO

I sold an Electric Blue I really liked but the watch I bought used for fund a replacement I like a lot better, so no regrets. I think it was the IWC

·
Registered
561 Posts
For me, it was a Breitling Superocean A17045 with a DEEP blue dial. It was a truly tool watch (before Breitling started shoving out bright, clingy monstrosities) with a matte, brushed case measuring a Goldilocks 41mm.

image_10.jpeg

Although the Pro I bracelet was sublimely comfortable, I almost always wore the watch on a NATO, where it seemed most at home.

About 10 years ago, I sold the Superocean to a nice guy from NJ, so I could shore up my honeymoon fund. My wife, who wrote her thesis on Tolkien, is a massive LOTR fan and wanted to visit NZ. So, I obliged her, sold the Breitling, and we had a wonderful time. We rode horses who had served in BOTR, hiked, and bungee-jumped. It was an amazing trip.

Now, my diver is a WatchCo SM300, which I picked up from a wonderful gentleman in Brooklyn.

I love the Seamaster, and treasure the memory of my honeymoon. Still, that Breitling was one hell of a watch.

If I could have any one of them back, it would certainly be that one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's one impressive list of regrets. However, I'd be inclined to be thankful for having owned even a few of those..

I've a Speedmaster, AT and a Datejust41 on my list for the next purchase, but gotta keep it quiet for a minute from the wife, as I just bought a new Seamaster.. shhh

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
That’s quite the list Rob! Some amazing references you’ve had there.

Of the few that I’ve flipped the only one I’ve regretted must be the Aqua Terra ‘Skyfall’ as I’ve bought another one :-d That is a first for me! However....I spend more time taking photos of it rather than wearing it. Oh dear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
871 Posts
That’s quite the list Rob! Some amazing references you’ve had there.

Of the few that I’ve flipped the only one I’ve regretted must be the Aqua Terra ‘Skyfall’ as I’ve bought another one :-d That is a first for me! However....I spend more time taking photos of it rather than wearing it. Oh dear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh oh Dan, could flipperitus be about to rear its ugly head again?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mine is very modest compared to the OPs, but I sold my quartz Seiko Tuna a year or so ago to a friend who actually dives. It was the old Marine Master font, no Prospex 'X' and a steel bezel which I really liked. The high-torque quartz movement is cool, and it has killer lume... and it's just been discontinued.

I regret selling it and would happily buy it back.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
The only watch I've ever flipped, and (really) regretted, is this beauty. My DSSD & 45.5 PO are not missed at all.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 79 Posts