WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Thanks for sharing Rob. Also have over 100 flips and if use re-adquiring as the measurement to regretting that had happened with a few pieces, most of which had been re-sold again.

Own, sold and re-purchased (no longer own)
1- Rolex 114270 (2)
2- Tudor 79260/70 (2)
3- SMPc 41MM black (2)
4- SMP Bond GMT (2)
5- Aqua Terra 38.5 8500 White dial / diamonds (2, same exact watch bought on Ebay from another vendor!)
6- SMP Titanium (2)
7- Railmaster 39MM (2)
8- AT 2503.33 (2)

Own, sold and re-purchased (still own):

1-SMP 150th anniversary (3 different pieces, 4th different ownerships as re-purchased last one sold from its buyer)

Crazy hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
Unknown.jpeg

Thanks for sharing Rob. Also have over 100 flips and if use re-adquiring as the measurement to regretting that had happened with a few pieces, most of which had been re-sold again.

Own, sold and re-purchased (no longer own)
1- Rolex 114270 (2)
2- Tudor 79260/70 (2)
3- SMPc 41MM black (2)
4- SMP Bond GMT (2)
5- Aqua Terra 38.5 8500 White dial / diamonds (2, same exact watch bought on Ebay from another vendor!)
6- SMP Titanium (2)
7- Railmaster 39MM (2)
8- AT 2503.33 (2)

Own, sold and re-purchased (still own):

1-SMP 150th anniversary (3 different pieces, 4th different ownerships as re-purchased last one sold from its buyer)

Crazy hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh, Francisco ... thank you for making me feel a bit better. I know a couple of guys over on the DWF who would put us both (combined) to shame. :-d

I have toyed with an inventory of every watch I have bought and sold, but if even one person like you responded, it would crash WUS' system. :think:

It's interesting that the bought-sold-reacquired ranks for me include mostly Rolexes: Five Submariners; five GMT Masters (including a S&G "Root Beer" with Jubilee); I don't even remember how many DJs; and, of course, two blue OPs (the first one I flipped without modifying, replaced it, modified that, then flipped it ... but it's top on my list of regrets). Then there are multiple SMPs (that ended when I finally picked up a midsize SMPc), multiple Speedies, multiple ATs, multiple POs ... mein Gott, this is so sad!

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
^ I am lucky enough to own a 16710 Pepsi, it's the one watch I would never flip. It's going to my son.
When I bought my first GMT Master in the early 80s, they had just come out with the GMT Master II with the Coke bezel. I had a choice: A Pepsi GMT I with acrylic crystal and no quickset for $695; or a Coke GMT II with sapphire crystal and quickset for $850. I went with the more expensive model, mostly because I was so over plastic crystals. But that Pepsi likely would be worth many thousands of dollars now.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
^ Ouch, that's super-hot now as a vintage piece. I bought mine just before (the older reference) GMT Master prices rocketed, it's the only watch I've owned that's appreciated. It's worth twice what I paid for it! I'd still be sore about missing out on that GMT I though... although you appear to have had more lovely watches than Sza Sza Gabor had husbands!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have only purchased 3 luxury watches new from an AD, I sold them all for one reason or another.

I only regret selling two of them:

Omega Seamaster Pro 2531.80 purchased new in 1996, recently picked up a good example and will never sell it.

Omega Planet Ocean 2201.50, purchased new around 2008/2009, still looking for another one, hopefully soon!

The one I don't regret selling, except that it has shot up in value, is the Rolex 114060, can't stand the bigger case and ceramic bezel! I bought one new in 2013.
I would love to have a nice 14060M, I consider this to be the perfect Submariner.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I'm not a member of this "sorry club" (pun intended) - I don't sell or flip my watches.

Several times did I make up my mind to consolidate my collection, though, but simply can't get myself to doing so. The less expensive ones, I think "what's the point" and the more expensive pieces were very conscious and deliberate purchases and I still know exactly why I purchased those. Guess it will be up to my estate to get rid of my watches.

That said, many pieces in my collection are, by now, NOS (and BNIB), so I don't have that emotional connection (if such a thing exists between humans and things, objects), I could see myself letting some of those go (eventually).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't regret flipping this because that was the intent of the purchase, but I regret not being in a position where I could afford to keep the watch and enjoy it. Personally, i think this color combination is amazing and it has an element of exclusivity as well. Hoping to add it to the permanent collection at some point.

omega.jpg

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
I flipped my 114060 and picked up a 14060M :)

I have only purchased 3 luxury watches new from an AD, I sold them all for one reason or another.

I only regret selling two of them:

Omega Seamaster Pro 2531.80 purchased new in 1996, recently picked up a good example and will never sell it.

Omega Planet Ocean 2201.50, purchased new around 2008/2009, still looking for another one, hopefully soon!

The one I don't regret selling, except that it has shot up in value, is the Rolex 114060, can't stand the bigger case and ceramic bezel! I bought one new in 2013.
I would love to have a nice 14060M, I consider this to be the perfect Submariner.

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm not a member of this "sorry club" (pun intended) - I don't sell or flip my watches.
I think it is worth noting there are more than a few on WUS who perhaps flip watches before their significant others can find out how much they paid for them. ;-)

Me ... I'm just an inveterate horological philanderer. Some men regret the great women they let slip away; I regret the great watches I let go. Frankly, I'd rather be in my position (approaching my 39th year with my wife).

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
.... Some men regret the great women they let slip away; I regret the great watches I let go. Frankly, I'd rather be in my position (approaching my 39th year with my wife) .....
I can only agree, especially since I was in a similar situation. Watches was a shared hobby and my wife encouraged me to get the ones I um-ed and ah-ed over. She had a very nice collection too and regularly borrowed from my watchboxes. Then, our "clock" stopped after (only) 26.5 years of marriage.

R.I.P. Anneke

FAC357AF-4B6C-49A8-BB4F-54D62D09613D_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not really, with the exception of the first watch (a Rolex DJ) that started this hobby 20 years ago, and then most recently a 5712R which I felt happy at the time to have made so much on (only to realize I could have made so much more) but later realized how much I appreciated the watch simply for it’s beauty.

There are countless watches I regret having not bought but I always had my reasons in the moment. Still hurts however!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,094 Posts
Like you I have flipped well over a 100 in last few years. WUS made it way too easy plus not hard to traade desirables in. The one I regret the most is the blue face 8500 AT that my wife bought for me.

The oddest flips I have done? 4 Tudor Rangers (slow learner) and a RESCO custom made #77 which I sold, then bought back a year later when it went up for sale, then flipped it a day later.

And as the recipient of the Explorer in your list, I do regret flipping it although I have since replaced it at higher cost. :-(

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And as the recipient of the Explorer in your list, I do regret flipping it although I have since replaced it at higher cost. :-(
I can't believe you sold that Explorer! Did you think of the higher price you paid for its replacement as penance? ;-)

That was me and the SubC. I've wanted on several occasions to buy (yet) another one, but my Scottish blood would boil if I paid what a new one would cost (or even a gently used one). Toyed with getting a BB58, but I know I'd just end up flipping it, too.

Surprisingly, it has been more than two years since I bought my midsize SMPc, and I have never once thought about getting rid of it. It gets half of my wrist time.

·
Premium Member
25,094 Posts
^ yes... it was one day in the summer and the bracelet didn't fit just right and you know the rest... think my wrist has shrunk some since then. Have it's replacement and a white OP 39.

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
^ yes... it was one day in the summer and the bracelet didn't fit just right and you know the rest... think my wrist has shrunk some since then. Have it's replacement and a white OP 39.
So the DJ41 is history too? :think:

Reactions: Betterthere

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
64 SM300, 69 transitional speedy and 2002 daytona 18k. The others flipped were just whatever.

Reactions: iinsic

·
Premium Member
25,094 Posts
So the DJ41 is history too? :think:
Oh yeah...couldn't get past polished center links or cyclops. You know here I live...pretty doesn't work well. SubC went away because i eventually got tired of the maxi case.

But no regrets on those.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts