WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
For the horological philanderer, what is the greatest balm for regret? The next new watch! :-!
That reminds me the phrase of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park when he said "am always looking for my future ex-wife" :):-d

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those are some serious heavy hitters you flipped! I always wondered at what point watch flipping goes from a way to get new watches faster, to a side gig run more as a business. I see plenty of sellers here and elsewhere that have a large number of high end pieces for sale at any given time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Those are some serious heavy hitters you flipped! I always wondered at what point watch flipping goes from a way to get new watches faster, to a side gig run more as a business. I see plenty of sellers here and elsewhere that have a large number of high end pieces for sale at any given time.
Well, I don't recommend this as a business. Yes, I made a few dollars on some of my watches, but the motivation always was fickleness, not profits. A lot of people return from Las Vegas and say they "broke even." And you hear some heavy traders on WUS say something similar. Translation: They lost their derrières. ;-) The flippers who do reasonably well buy only used watches, so the depreciation hit is minimized. But it's still a crapshoot. :think:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
I got a super deal on my Sub, buying it within a few days from a friend who was a flight attendant for Delta (they have a couple of Rolex ADs who sell them deeply discounted Rolexes, which is why you see so many flight crews sporting Rolex). Seriously, it was brand new and cost me well below the then-retail price ... probably half what one would cost today (if you could find one). Needless to say, I regret letting this iconic watch go. I've owned several Submariners over the years, including a 114060 I bought later, but the 116610LN was my favorite ... especially on a dive. Probably too heavy for a day-to-day watch now, and a Sub really should be a daily wearer to maximize its potential.

View attachment 15088521 View attachment 15088519

I have been Delta flight crew for 22 years and have no idea what you are talking about getting a Rolex at a deeply discounted price. I need more information on this!!!

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I have been Delta flight crew for 22 years and have no idea what you are talking about getting a Rolex at a deeply discounted price. I need more information on this!!!
That is terrible that they would keep such a perk from you! Perhaps it was just for flight attendants ... or female FAs? :think:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I let go of a new 126710 Pepsi last year to a long time friend and client, at retail.

No regrets. So brilliantly made. It became a safe queen for me bc of my work. He wears and enjoys it way more than I did.

They're continuing to make more of the watch anyway.

I got another.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I let go of a new 126710 Pepsi last year to a long time friend and client, at retail.

No regrets. So brilliantly made. It became a safe queen for me bc of my work. He wears and enjoys it way more than I did.

They're continuing to make more of the watch anyway. I think if I didn't get another, I'd maybe regret it in... 10 years.

Reactions: iinsic

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me it was the original omega brown dial bullhead Chrono. Bought it for 650 in 98 the early days of eBay and kept it about 4 years. It was the only watch I owned that guys kept trying to buy off my wrist out in public. She kept chronometer time and was a manual wind. I’m not going to buy another for what they fetch nowadays

·
Registered
40 Posts
OP -- just stumbled upon this thread, so pardon me in advance for not reading all four pages of comments (only your original post and the 4th page).

I really appreciate your sentiments - what an objective, genuine assessment!

All I wish to contribute is this: I own 6 Rolex, all bought from 2018 to present. Once my itch was sufficiently scratched, and my Rolex collection complete, I got turned on to Omega. Feel free to flame me if you wish, but of the two Omegas I've recently bought (AT 41 and PO 43.5), I honestly wish I'd gone the Omega route first, rather than chasing the Rolex hype. Sure, both are fine watches in their respective right(s); yet I am far more "in love" with my Omegas.

As we're all WIS, if we strip away the marketing and the proverbial chase, Omega is, IMO, pound-for-pound, by today's technological standards, the better watch. Again, flame on. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I got turned on to Omega. Feel free to flame me if you wish, but of the two Omegas I've recently bought (AT 41 and PO 43.5), I honestly wish I'd gone the Omega route first, rather than chasing the Rolex hype.… Omega is, IMO, pound-for-pound, by today's technological standards, the better watch. Again, flame on. ;)
You get no argument from me. I wear my SMPc probably three-fourths of the time, and mostly the DJ the rest of the time (although it might be the AT or the Doxa or something even further back in the box). I've worn Omegas for more than 50 years, and have been a SMP fan for half of that. Despite owning five or six Subs over the years, my current SMPc is my all-time favorite.

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Remind me to not take financial advice from you!
The other side of that is that, were I not so good with money, I couldn't afford to be so fickle with my watches. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
How can someone sell a watch, then buy an identical one again?
I couldn't think of any rational reason, other than making money off flipping a popular model.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I sold some watches over the last years but never looked back. Just once I felt I made a mistake but this has been corrected since last week. 🙂

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I've had 2 16710 Pepsi's over the years that I wish I would have kept. Everything else and there has been a lot no regrets.

·
Premium Member
11,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
How can someone sell a watch, then buy an identical one again?
I couldn't think of any rational reason, other than making money off flipping a popular model.
Beats remarrying one's ex-wife! ;)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts