WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is, do you remember the first watch you had that started all this madness? For me with was 1968 and my family had an in-ground pool in our backyard. I was 8 years old and snorkeled all summer in that pool. For my birthday, after many not-so-subtle hints Mom & Dad got me this beauty from the JC Penney catalog and (as you can tell) I wore the crap out of it until it died years later. It hasn't ran in decades, but I still have it. I check eBay from time to time looking for a working replacement. You never forget your first love...

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
my first was a pulsar slim case quartz movement...
but my first bought by me it was a G-shock Mudman...

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Hey Doug that is used, but it brings you good memories nice..........................

It was a casio, then a timex but I can't remember which one's....... no one in my family was into watches, did that all on my own.

It is a statement, not so much of who but what, I just love watches, so collection is a norm in that respect.
Can't walk by a watch store on trips or visiting somewhere without going in, my better half always says, you sure you don't want to spend more time?, nah that was good, just had to look.
:-!
Regards
Keep that memory Doug.
Robt

·
Registered
431 Posts
Remember it? I still have it...

In 1984 my parents gave me a Seiko 6309-7049 for graduation. That was my one watch for 15 years until I go married and my mother-in-law gave me a Rolex 1680. I had the Seiko serviced by Jack at IWW most recently and I still wear it.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Re: Remember it? I still have it...

when i was growing up, my father gave me my first mechanical watch. it was a manual wind timex analog with acrylic crystal on a bracelet.

fast forward several years later when i am able to afford my own watches, i start buying cheap quartz analogs to hold me over.

then in 2005, it happened. i purchased my first 'expensive' watch; the Suunto Vector at a cool $180 USD. this would be the first crack in the dam.

fast forward two years, and i purchase my second 'expensive watch; the Suunto X-Lander Military at a paltry $250 USD. the crack becomes a torrent.

over the last three years i've bought and flipped a couple dozen watches. gone through my g-shock phase, gone through my suunto phase, left digital behind for good, gone through my military and military inspired watch phase, and entered the wonderful world of mechanical analog watches.

all culminating to the grail: my Rolex Submariner Date.

it all started with the bold move to purchase a wristop computer, and ends (or rather continues on presently) with the only meaningful watches in my box being swiss automatic dive watches.

i'm looking forward to what the future holds.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Sunday Orphanage church service the Nuns broke out a white dialed Timex watch that I wore until the service was over then back in the box for another week it went, by the time I was 11 years old I had saved some tuck money and bought a Timex of my own, that I was able to wear daily.

·
6,885 Posts
This started it all for me back in 83. It was my daily wearer for 20+ years:)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
This is my first watch, from 1962.

My second watch from 1966.

My third watch from 1969.

Still got them, the two first is not working, but the Omega is.........

Hans

·
Registered
289 Posts
My first watch I was about 5 or 6 years old, All I could remember talking about to my grandmother was how I wanted a pocket watch. Eventually we were at a mall not too long after and she bought me a cheap one(have it around somewhere hopefully) Fast forward a few more years, I got a mickey mouse quartz for Christmas from the same grandma.

Fast forward to when I was in 8th grade, I bought a armitron quartz which I wore everyday, swam with, and eventually it died about 3 years later. At 17 my girlfriend at the time bought me another armitron which I wore for a couple of years.

Fast forward again to when I was 20, wanted to get something worth putting new batteries in. I researched alittle bit on these forums and decided on a Marathon tsar which I recieved for Christmas from my mom. Wore this watch everyday for the past two years and now the bug has bitten me hard and I cant stop looking at new watches.

·
Registered
568 Posts
What I really wanted for Christmas, 1978 was a 6309.

But as a skinny eighth grader, I guess my parents thought the watch too big for me.

Xmas morning, I open my presents, find a Seiko Box, and was stumped (for a minute) to find this:

But after the initial disappointment wore off, I realized the watch was just what I wanted, and certainly more than I needed.

It got stolen in 1990, but I found this one on eBay some years back. I still love it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Re: What I really wanted for Christmas, 1978 was a 6309.

I started with free digital watches from Burger King! Then my dad gave me what was presumably a ladies timex watch with a metal band, after I begged for one that looked like his Rolex (when I was five or so). After a number of Casio digitals, and timex indiglos. I got a Fossil, then I caught the collecting bug with Swatches. It has eventually worked its way up to this! (See below). Getting nice watches as graduation presents (Swiss Army, Raymond Weil, Omega) really contributed to it, besides having a hobby to share with my dad.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Mine was the vintage Zodiac Seawolf that my dad bought while in the Marine Corps in the 60s - he gave it to me in 1984 when I went to college.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had an old wind up Timex, but what got me going on Dive watches when I was about 12 was an Armitron Ana-Digi diver. Similar to the Seiko up above.

Then a few years later I had saved up for a Tag F1.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My first ever automatic. A gift from my parents when I was about 10 years old. Still have it!! for about 28 years and counting....

My first ever Swiss Automatic that I bought in 2002 from Interlaken, Switzerland. That was a nice experience. This is the watch that started the watch collecting madness

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Seriously, I'm I the only one :-s lol

Got it when I was around five.
few years later got analog watch (timex). My second analog watch was a casio diver style. Have been hooked ever since with dive watches

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first was a blue quartz wrist watch that had two smiling pencils as dials, but I don't remember what make it was. I was around 6 at the time(1994)
The first quality watch was a Leijona Saphire 10atm that I got from my sister for my 14th birthday in 2003.
My first watch with a mechanical movement is a phenix pocket watch from somewhere around 1929 that I bought about a month ago from a car collector junk market for 30€

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
My first watch was a hand me down Swatch from my brother. I wore that thing to shreds. Skateboarding, BMX racing, body boarding, you name it. I have no idea where it is now...

After that it was a string of Freestyle digital surf watches, followed by a JcPenny Seiko, and then I had no watch for years.

About 10 years ago, my wife bought me a Tissot PRS100 on our honeymoon and it has never been the same since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts