• Never

Votes: 90 56.6%
  • Only when not at home

Votes: 3 1.9%
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nope, the only one that isn't on a leather band isn't water resistant.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
If you want your grail to start building up soap scum to dull the finish, plus water in hidden bracelet places
to start the rusting process...be my guest!

Subjecting a precision mechanical instrument consisting of numerous moving metal parts on the outside
to daily water and soap is like wiping down your Corvette with a dry dirty rag every day. <|

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you want your grail to start building up soap scum to dull the finish, plus water in hidden bracelet places
to start the rusting process...be my guest!

Subjecting a precision mechanical instrument consisting of numerous moving metal parts on the outside
to daily water and soap is like wiping down your Corvette with a dry dirty rag every day. <|
Pretty good analogy i agree.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
no, i'm not a highly trained assasin mall spy who has to be ready at the slightest sound of glass marbles being stepped on under the front door matt. I leave the uzi, throwing knives, ninja stars and my tactical time piece in my room with the rest of the attache' cases and proximity mines.

When it comes time to 'cleaning' my watches, i use a combination of aviation fuel, butch's bore shine, and honey and lightly scrub the areas with a bore brush.
onya mate!!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
No, not even when camping! I leave my watch locked in my footlocker when I walk to the shower house...
Hey Griff...what happens when it rains???? :-!...and real camping doesn't involve shower houses!!! ;-) BTW...I haven't done any "real" camping since 1969!

Leather strap no...steel or rubber strap, usually.

·
Registered
12,580 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't. My watches were made for diving thus I feel that showering will have no affect what so ever on my watch. I rinse my watches throughly and dry them after. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and not one of my watches has been adversely affected, ever.
Before I got into collecting I owned a Citizen diver that was subjected to this every day for the 7 or 8 years I owned it. If nothing happened to my watch over that long a period of time I'm sure my Breitling will be just fine.

·
Banned
805 Posts

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Hey Griff...what happens when it rains???? :-!...and real camping doesn't involve shower houses!!! ;-) BTW...I haven't done any "real" camping since 1969!

Leather strap no...steel or rubber strap, usually.
Hey Ken!
In the rain they get wet :-d
We have shower houses at the Boy Scout Reservations, though when we do an overnight hike there aren't any and needless to say I may be a bit ripe when I get home ;-)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I never shower with my watches. When you dive or when it rains, your watch is not exposed to soap, which may adversely affect the gaskets. And while the water in your shower or bath is likely not hot enough to cause the gaskets to expand (and contract when the watch cools off), why take the chance. I can get the time from the radio (also not in the shower, but close by...) until I'm done. JMHO...

·
Banned
257 Posts
I'm so fed up of all those airheads fearing the soap and water may affect gaskets.... not to mention rust bracelets LOL o|
Come on stop this nonsense... it is proven that showers wont kill your watches faster than TIME is killing us all :rodekaart

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
No, the only time i've showered with my watch was when I was doing some landscaping while wearing my Seiko 007 & got dirt all over it. I wore it in the shower, removed & washed it while in the shower.

But other than that isolated incident, never.

·
Registered
12,580 Posts
No, I'm not a highly trained assasin mall spy who has to be ready at the slightest sound of glass marbles being stepped on under the front door matt. I leave the UZI, throwing knives, Ninja stars and my tactical time piece in my room with the rest of the attache' cases and proximity mines.

??????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'll chime in -
My watches accumulate gunk from skin oil + sweat + airborne dust + whatever dirt is around. Showers do not help that at all, particularly in the crevices that the gunk tends to build up in.
Plus, if the watch gets wet I will take it off at the earliest convenience so it can dry off. Who wants to wear a wet watch??

So in summary: watches (mine at least) become filthy fairly quickly and the best way I've found to clean them is with a gentle toothbrush and rinsewater. The metal bracelets are harder to do, generally I take them off and throw them in the ultrasound. Leather, I just leave it alone.

All that said: I'll wear it in the shower if there's no place safe to put it for awhile, but to me it's much more hassle that way. NEVER touch the crown or pushers in the presence of water. I just cleaned out a fancy Timex Flix that I got very cheap from Wristrested where this had happened; good deal for me, but then again how much of its life has been lost? Who knows.

Another thing: highly strenuous activity. I was gardening vigorously one day when I noticed that my Marlin (Casio? No sir!) had developed some fog beneath the crystal. Sigh... off to the repair facility for new gaskets, cleaning, adjustment. Anyway, what I've decided is that if I'm to do something strenuous and I feel like having a watch on, then I'll wear a more disposable watch than expensive.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Someone...anyone, PLEASE kill this ridiculous thread! <|

21 - 40 of 59 Posts