WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
I'd prefer to bolt out the door after getting out of bed in the morning, but I find I do better if I shower, shave and dress.

If your auto has a PR beyond 8 hrs as most do, and you rotate weekly, you should only have to set and wind yours once a week, and you can do it the night before.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I like to grab and go, but at the same time I'm not a big fan of winders. What's a guy to do?
Switch to quartz. You can grab and go and you won't have any need for a winder.

See how you are? All this time you've thought mechanical watches were the ones you should buy. Your lifestyle habits clearly militate for quartz.

...And no, I don't use winders.

All the best.

Reactions: NathanielGoodtimes

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use a Brookstone 4 watch winder. I used to just wind them up and set them (date complication only) in the mornings, but I found I would decide on a watch because it was already wound, or even decide on a watch that I knew was running low and needed to be worn or re set, instead of just picking what I wanted to wear.

Now I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I have 5 mechanicals. Four require being on winder. I've finally discovered which configuration to keep the 4 wound and reasonably accurate.
The 5th watch has hacking and is hand windable features so no need for being on a winder.
I plan my time to allow for the mechanics of removing a watch from a winder. No plane to catch nuther words.
Don'y misunderstand. I have 26 watches of all grades and price points. And I admit a watch needing winding is not a grab and go watch. 21
quartz watches that are grab and gos.

X traindriver Art

·
Premium Member
40,135 Posts
I'm about to take delivery of a winder to see how I go with it. I'm moving towards wearing three or four autos more regularly so I'm seeing if I actually make use of a winder for a few of my most worn autos (and find it to be useful) before investing further.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Iv'e learned that if I set my 2 winders to spin in a counter clockwise direction, with 10 min intervals I get the best results.
You may prefer a different formula.These divers do not meet COSC standards. As a non diver why would I need them to
meet COSC standards?
All 5 of my divers have a accuracy of 4 to 12 secs + per week. Close enuff for me.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
569 Posts
The only watch I keep on a winder is a triple calendar moon phase. Otherwise I just give my autos a couple of shakes, set them and I'm off.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have a mix of quartz, solar quartz, and autos. I am intrigued by autos, so I enjoy wearing them, and want to be able to put them in rotation as much as the others. I have always wondered if the constant (well, not CONSTANT) pulling out the crown to the date position then the time position is going to cause any wear. Obviously, I don't know how sturdy this part of the mechanism is. Maybe I'll just put my screw down crown watches on winders, because they're the ones that end up sitting in the watch box if they've not been worn enough to keep them running.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I have a couple automatics. My Orient Ray I wear 2-3 days a week now, and my Seiko SNKL41 I wear only on Sundays. I find the biggest annoyance is having to advance the day. The Ray I'm typically only advancing a day or two, so it's generally not to big a deal, but on Suinday mormings when I'm running late and still have to load the five kids up, taking those extra moments to advance my SNKL41 almost a week can be really annoying.

I've been looking at quartz lately for just this reason. The problem is, it's not like you get to choose between quartz or automatic versions when you see a particular watch that suits your fancy, so you just kinda gotta deal.

I've thought about getting a winder, but they take up a lot of space, and I need to get a proper watch box for the rest of my small collection first.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
The autos that I wear will go on a winder; especially because it's they have a screw-down crown which just makes the winding that much more of a hassle.

The autos I don't wear regularly and don't have screw-down crowns stay in the watch box.

I'm in the market for an eco-drive diver for my grab-n-go days.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Yeah I agree with the others, if you don't like to wind then just use your phone for the time.... ;)

I don't use a winder for my autos, I just set them as needed... I actually don't use them so much for the time as I do because I love them, so in a hurry I will throw one on rushing out the door and set it when I get a minute later. I find myself looking at my watch more than most people and not even seeing the time if that makes sense (I don't wear them because I don't know what time it is.) For me they are a thing of beauty, I look down at them and am so distracted by the beauty I rarely see the time then go back to what I was doing and think what time is it? check again, get distracted... what time is it? check again, get distracted etc... etc...

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Nope. I just wind them up when needed. The Longines Master Retrograde I've got is probably the biggest pain to set (date, day, time zone, as well as the usual time) but I've never felt the need to bolt out of the house too quickly to set it. I've only 4 autos, but even then I'd rather spend the money saved on winders on a watch.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts