WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We often focus on how tough the springbars are/how big they are/how they are constructed/etc. when considering a watch. It just came to me when I was looking at a strap buckle how thin its pin/springbar is. I then thought it doesn't matter how tough the springbars are when the buckle, or the pin/bar holding the buckle, is far weaker, not to mention that the load is shared between the two springbars. Also on a related note I saw my friend's watch came off because its buckle gave away when we're rock climbing (apparently the watch caught onto something).

An exception to this is of course the Nato/ZULU straps because they aren't usually equipped with a buckle+pin combo.

And what about bracelets? I think they are more or less the same to straps because their buckles are also held with pins.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
We often focus on how tough the springbars are/how big they are/how they are constructed/etc. when considering a watch.
We do? Nuts. I guess I better add that to the list.

It just came to me when I was looking at a strap buckle how thin its pin/springbar is. I then thought it doesn't matter how tough the springbars are when the buckle, or the pin/bar holding the buckle, is far weaker, not to mention that the load is shared between the two springbars. Also on a related note I saw my friend's watch came off because its buckle gave away when we're rock climbing (apparently the watch caught onto something).
Makes sense - if you are putting that kind of stress on a watch with your activities it pays to check out the weakest link.

And what about bracelets? I think they are more or less the same to straps because their buckles are also held with pins.
Not exactly. A bracelet fits very tightly most times, leaving less play at the joints with springbars. Combine that with the rigidness of the bracelet and it's probably a stronger connection than with a strap.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
I routinely replace the springbars in my buckles with heavy-duty, 1.78mm thick ones extending to fit between 16mm and 21mm, for my 16mm buckles; no way would that come loose!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Not exactly. A bracelet fits very tightly most times, leaving less play at the joints with springbars. Combine that with the rigidness of the bracelet and it's probably a stronger connection than with a strap.
This.

If you pull hard on a strap, the spring bars will bend and pull out of the lugs. A solid end link bracelet will fit much tighter, and the solid end link will keep the spring bar from bending as easily.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I wondered myself. We like (I like) to mention how super-puper tough and durable my straps are, but like shadow thought weakness of springbars gives me no rest... The tubes for lugs with drilled through holes makes springbars much more reliable, and of course bracelets, if it is OEM.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We do? Nuts. I guess I better add that to the list.
Umm... ok, maybe just some dive watch enthusiasts, or perhaps it's just me.

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.
I agree but they are yet have to prove that riding a (motor)bike across rough terrain is bad for your mechanicals.

This.

If you pull hard on a strap, the spring bars will bend and pull out of the lugs. A solid end link bracelet will fit much tighter, and the solid end link will keep the spring bar from bending as easily.
I wondered myself. We like (I like) to mention how super-puper tough and durable my straps are, but like shadow thought weakness of springbars gives me no rest... The tubes for lugs with drilled through holes makes springbars much more reliable, and of course bracelets, if it is OEM.
Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I think you guys misunderstood that the point is about buckles and their pins/springbars, not the springbars fitted inside the watch lugs.

BTW I heard that a Sub (don't know which version) could bear the weight of a man hanging from it. I've no idea how heavy the man is or if the story is true or not. But if it's true then the Sub's bracelet and bars/pins must be hella strong. Judging from pics, one thing I'm quite sure about is that the Sub's springbars are indeed designed well (they are simple, thick enough, and sit deep into the lugs).

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
BTW I heard that a Sub (don't know which version) could bear the weight of a man hanging from it. I've no idea how heavy the man is or if the story is true or not. But if it's true then the Sub's bracelet and bars/pins must be hella strong. Judging from pics, one thing I'm quite sure about is that the Sub's springbars are indeed designed well (they are simple, thick enough, and sit deep into the lugs).
I saw this once, wasn't a Rolex.

It was the typical nondescript brand the world's average people wear. He was climbing out of the back of an M813 five ton and got his strap tangled in the side rails. The strap/buckle did not fail, although, it would have been better for him if it had; wrenched his shoulder pretty badly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts