WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I sit here daydreaming about buying a stainless Daytona to keep my Sub-C company, I can't help but wonder if Rolex is going to eventually switch all of the Cosmographs to having the Cerachrom bezel.

It seems like Rolex has been following the trend of debuting new technology (ceramic bezels mainly) on the all gold or platinum models like the Daytona, Subs, and GMTs. Just wondering what the general opinion of a ceramic 116520 would be.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
A lot of people don't care for the new designs at all. In my opinion, the only good new release by Rolex was the new Explorer II. The old one looked fantastic but it was a tad too small... the new one's bulkier design is actually an improvement.

GMTIIc was a clear downgrade to classic Pepsi... and fat lugs Submariner can't hold a candle to 16610 and 1680. In my opinion only of course. They ruined the classic, slender lines. You simply can't improve perfection.

No idea what they're planning for Daytona though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When you look back, all the changes/improvements are implemented for the gold/platinum ones first. The year after that, the two tone ones are getting the same facelift. I think next year maybe the two tone gets the ceramic bezel first. Then its a matter of time before the ss version gets the same facelift.If you plan to buy one and you dont like the facelift look, dont wait too long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you look back, all the changes/improvements are implemented for the gold/platinum ones first. The year after that, the two tone ones are getting the same facelift. I think next year maybe the two tone gets the ceramic bezel first. Then its a matter of time before the ss version gets the same facelift.If you plan to buy one and you dont like the facelift look, dont wait too long.
+1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let me add one thing. If You can get a brand-new one for $11,000 now or $11,500, expect to pay 14 to 15,000 for the redesigned one. And if the prices keep increasing every year the current stainless steel will be 14 to 15,000, and then you ceramic stainless steel will be close to the Yachtmaster 2 around $18,000.

·
Premium Member
11,766 Posts
I think the continuation of gold models with the matching bezel indicates Rolex is - no surprise - proceeding cautiously. They may be gauging consumer interest in the new design, or they may simply be broadening the line to appeal to more tastes. But eliminating metal bezels for ceramic would be a grave mistake.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think the continuation of gold models with the matching bezel indicates Rolex is - no surprise - proceeding cautiously. They may be gauging consumer interest in the new design, or they may simply be broadening the line to appeal to more tastes. But eliminating metal bezels for ceramic would be a grave mistake.
I agree, the ceramic bezel on the daytona looks ok on the everose version, but on a steel model it looks odd because of the color of the case. The other ceramic versions have only a ceramic insert. The bezel of the daytona is completely ceramic. Because of the steel surrounding of the other bezels it looks ok.

·
Premium Member
11,766 Posts
I agree, the ceramic bezel on the daytona looks ok on the everose version, but on a steel model it looks odd because of the color of the case. The other ceramic versions have only a ceramic insert. The bezel of the daytona is completely ceramic. Because of the steel surrounding of the other bezels it looks ok.
That's a good point. The ceramic insert in the Sub or GMT is protected by the metal bezel, minimizing the risk of cracks or chips. The completely ceramic Daytona bezel, on the other hand, is very vulnerable ... especially to chipping. And I'm sure replacing that ceramic bezel will cost a pretty penny.

I know what a 10-15 year old Daytona bezel looks like. Wonder what a 10-15 year old ceramic tachymeter bezel will look like. :think:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts