WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this would be an awesome combination. I don't know why they bother the lume that they use since it doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
They're really all about electronics ... so their solution really seems to be artificial back-lighting with little concern for lume, otherwise.

·
Registered
785 Posts
'Tritium' is owned by an other large watch manufacturer and it would not be worth the trouble and expense for Casio to use another manufactures product.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
'Tritium' is owned by an other large watch manufacturer and it would not be worth the trouble and expense for Casio to use another manufactures product.
"Tritium" is the scientific name for a radioactive isotope of hydrogen: Tritium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Other watch manufacturers" can no more trademark that than Morton's can trademark "salt," and several companies make watches with tritium illumination.

Personally, I hope that Casio does NOT make tritium illuminated watches since the half-life of the isotope is only 12.32 years. I have two Luminox watches that used to put out as much light as my DW-5600E and would project a circle of light onto a wall from a foot away. They used to be EXTREMELY easy to read because of their brightness in 2002 and now they're almost difficult to read. In another 12 years I'll probably have to send them back to get new "tritium vials" installed, which will cost a lot more than 5 battery changes in my G-Shock.

Texas Instruments used to make a tritium-filled LCD watch back in the 1970's or VERY early 1980's -- it was kind of cool to have a digital watch that glowed in the dark without needing to push a button!

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
"Tritium" is the scientific name for a radioactive isotope of hydrogen: Tritium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Other watch manufacturers" can no more trademark that than Morton's can trademark "salt," and several companies make watches with tritium illumination.

Personally, I hope that Casio does NOT make tritium illuminated watches since the half-life of the isotope is only 12.32 years. I have two Luminox watches that used to put out as much light as my DW-5600E and would project a circle of light onto a wall from a foot away. They used to be EXTREMELY easy to read because of their brightness in 2002 and now they're almost difficult to read. In another 12 years I'll probably have to send them back to get new "tritium vials" installed, which will cost a lot more than 5 battery changes in my G-Shock.

Texas Instruments used to make a tritium-filled LCD watch back in the 1970's or VERY early 1980's -- it was kind of cool to have a digital watch that glowed in the dark without needing to push a button!
Here's a related article just posted on aBlogtoWatch:

How Glow-In-The-Dark Tritium Gas Tubes Are Made At MB-Microtec

Reactions: JohnQFord

·
Registered
381 Posts
"Other watch manufacturers" can no more trademark that than Morton's can trademark "salt,"
Mike you did it again pass me a kleenex would ya i blew the coke out of my nose when i read your post and almost over mortoned my fries!

·
Registered
785 Posts

I did not think on this forum I would need to explain that 'Tritium' was a general name for "mb-microtec' a Swiss manufacturer of this product. This not an item you just order as it is a controlled product under more than just copyright.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I did not think on this forum I would need to explain that 'Tritium' was a general name for "mb-microtec' a Swiss manufacturer of this product. This not an item you just order as it is a controlled product under more than just copyright.
That is not correct. mb-microtec makes watches with tritium, but they are not the only one and it's not their product. It is same as lume, Superluminova makes great lume that most companies use, but they don't own the name lume, only Superluminova.

·
Registered
785 Posts
That is not correct. mb-microtec makes watches with tritium, but they are not the only one and it's not their product. It is same as lume, Superluminova makes great lume that most companies use, but they don't own the name lume, only Superluminova.
This is a waste of time! :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
mb microtec makes watches under Traser brand. They also provide tritium for other watch companies.

·
Registered
371 Posts

i agree about the limited life of tritium illumination. I have a couple of original Navy Seal watches that lost their illumination years ago. At least with conventional lume, you can charge it with a quick blast from a flashlight. FYI I know some Sere members that destroyed the Luminox Navy Seal watch in daily use. What a joke that watch is. Bezels coming off, crystals breaking. Not to mention the fact that you don't want a brightly glowing wrist when sneaking around at night trying to be invisible.
Kev

Reactions: alexs12

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
So you're trying to say that you thought "tritium" was a code word for "proprietary, patented tritium-filled vials" (which trigalight refers to as "gaseous tritium light sources" [ 1 ]) and that everybody on an international watch forum was supposed to think that too? :)

mb-microtec is the company, not the product, and consists of three brands: trigalight, who manufactures the tiny tritium-filled vials, Traser, their own company that manufactures watches, and GlencaTEC, a non-tritium based medical and industrial company.

trigalight's "main markets are the US, Germany, Israel, Russia and Asia. Several million high-tech micro components are produced each year and sold on all five continents," [ 2 ] and they ALREADY sell those tritium-filled vials to other watch companies -- so while the vials technically ARE a radioactive "controlled" product, it's not like someone's trying to buy weapons-grade plutonium. :-d

As noted above, though, there ARE other ways to produce tritium, and other ways to use tritium to make a watch glow without the use of mb-microtec's tiny vials.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a few Luminox "original Navy Seal" watches. I like them due to their light weight and tritium illumination. I am not a SEAL nor in the operative business. Nor were these models ever issued to SEALs. Luminox never made any such claim AFAIK. They and other military personnel may have just chosen to use these watches on their own. I currently don' t own an ana- digi Casio. But if the EL backlight were to malfunction (and some surely do) I' d sure appreciate a tritium tubed dial as backup. Wouldn't some of you all agree?

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Tritium tubes are great, but doubt Casio would go that route as they like battery powered lights.

Tritium tubes don't fade as the night progresses. They are the same beginning to end for a decade or more.

Liking the T-100 flat green tritium tubes at night

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have a few Luminox "original Navy Seal" watches. I like them due to their light weight and tritium illumination. I am not a SEAL nor in the operative business. Nor were these models ever issued to SEALs. Luminox never made any such claim AFAIK. They and other military personnel may have just chosen to use these watches on their own. I currently don' t own an ana- digi Casio. But if the EL backlight were to malfunction (and some surely do) I' d sure appreciate a tritium tubed dial as backup. Wouldn't some of you all agree?
Respectfully disagree on the account of their claims...

http://www.luminox.com/about/history/

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a LumNox model 8000 which is at least 12 to 15 years old that uses a 2032 lithium battery and its 'tritium' is still serviceable. The battery ran for 10 years and an easy battery to replace.

I have had no experience with newer watches by LumNox but this watch has been a tank and has seen long and hard use.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
I couldn't care less for the (mostly) crappy Casio lume. When it comes to perfect night legibility of analog watches, tritium vials are the best way to go, closely followed by Seiko lume and Timex indiglo. I also couldn't care less about the half life of ~ 12 years tritium given that a good ammount of watches with WUS poeple don't even have a half life of 12 month, respectively twelve weeks....

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts