WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we can see, Casio is favoring LEDs instead of EL for some of their newer watches. The same trend applies to the Duplex Display as well, as they are favoring displays without duplex. So far none of the (as far as I know) V3 triple sensor watches use duplex, including the PRG270, PRW3000 and GW9400. While duplex is just a gimmick for non-sensor G-shocks, it's quite a useful tool for an ABC watch, especially for the Compass. It's an excellent representation of the compass rose, very close to using a needle/hand for point at directions and much better than using tick marks on the outer edge of the display. Really like to see it's come back with the latest V3 sensor. Or am I just dreaming?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Rocat, I think I'll need more coffee. LOL ;-)

Let's use this thread also to discuss one's preference on compass rose presentation in a compass watch. Here are all the compass rose presentations I've seen so far in different watches. If you've seen others, feel free to add a pic or two in this thread, thanks.

Duplex Display. This is best presentation I like so far. PRG260 in the picture, but lots of older ProTreks use the same technology.
Duplex.jpg

Use second hand to point at North. This is used on many Analog compass watches, including the PRW5100 in the picture, the newest PRW6000, few other older analog ProTreks, GWN1000, GWA1100, GA1000, SGW500 and some Timex Expedition counterparts.
second hand.jpg

Tick marks on outer edge. Shown below 3 slightly different presentations: PRG270, Timex Expedition T42761, and SGW100. So far the SGW100 is the easiest to see, but due to the big pointer, it couldn't indicate finer increments.
tick marks.jpg
tick marks2.jpg
tick marks3.jpg

Sub-display dedicated for compass. Shown below is the GW9400 using a sub dial for presenting the compass rose. Few other G's use similar presentation, including the GW9300. It's a bit small to see, but otherwise an effective way to show direction.
subdisplay.jpg

So which one is your favorite presentation for compass?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't have any of these, but from your pictures my favorite is the GW-9400/GW-9300 etc. with the sub-display. It has its own space, so I know exactly where to look when I want to see the compass. I'm used to reading and writing tiny print, so the small size doesn't bother me. And the lack of precision due to small size doesn't bother me on a watch. If I want a precise compass, I'll carry a precise compass. I see this as more of a quick general reference for convenience.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I hope not. The biggest disadvantage is that a Duplex lowers the contrast significantly, to me the little advantage is in no relation to the overall disadvantage. I would hope they bring back the el-backlight but I don't think so. LED's are cheaper, (supossedly)tougher, they live forever and require only a fraction of the power BUT I like the good old backlight much better nonetheless. Now, I don't have anything per se against LED illumination, done the right way it is absolutely as good as an el, but Casio has not made it right so far.

cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
I hope not. The biggest disadvantage is that a Duplex lowers the contrast significantly, to me the little advantage is in no relation to the overall disadvantage. I would hope they bring back the el-backlight but I don't think so. LED's are cheaper, (supossedly)tougher, they live forever and require only a fraction of the power BUT I like the good old backlight much better nonetheless. Now, I don't have anything per se against LED illumination, done the right way it is absolutely as good as an el, but Casio has not made it right so far.

cheers
I agree and it is the reason I need multiple Rangeman watches negative for dark and positive for daylight. :(

·
Registered
782 Posts
I use a G-Shock or other watch compass as only an emergency back up.

For my compass needs I always use a good quality non-electronic compass. :)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a variant of the Timex T42761 for a few years and a SGW100 for few months now. Both great watches and accurate compasses. The Timex however needs to make sure it's perfectly level for accurate compass reading, hence it has a bubble level indicator. Unfortunately the fluid inside the level indicator somehow dried out only months after I got the watch. Both watches have many similarities, including how they need to be rotated 2 turns in order to calibrate the compass. But the SGW100 is definitely a better product for functions, for clarity of display, and for ruggedness. I think it's easily as tough as a G-shock. You know it's a good product when it's been around for quite a few years, and they're still selling it.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
i have a few protreks and a rangeman and i dont really see the fuss over a minimally used function (in relation to time telling). you get the jist of the direction (a pretty good one at that) and thats all you need/should expect.
same goes for backlight, does it make it easier to see in the dark than without it? yes it does, job done.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a few protreks and a rangeman and i dont really see the fuss over a minimally used function (in relation to time telling). you get the jist of the direction...
Minimally used? Depends on who you're talking to, I'm pretty sure for those who do hiking and trekking, it's an essential tool to tell direction or at least as a reliable backup to their dedicated compass.

Electronic barometer and altimeter are little more complicate, especially the way how Casio designed them where changes in one can affect the other, you can say it's a little uncertain for their accuracy. Watch thermometer, you can also say it's more of a gimmick, since it measure your skin temperature more than anything else. But for an electronic compass, for which the tech is simple and widely available, most compass watches can be as accurate as a basic fluid filled compass, given that you calibrate properly. So out of A, B, C and T, at least C is feature you can use more often and trust in. I use / calibrate my watch compass at least once a week.

Now come to wonder, how many of you "collectors" for Rangeman's and Gulfmaster's really care about the ABC functions or just collecting them for their looks? ;-)

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Minimally used? Depends on who you're talking to, I'm pretty sure for those who do hiking and trekking, it's an essential tool to tell direction or at least as a reliable backup to their dedicated compass.

Electronic barometer and altimeter are little more complicate, especially the way how Casio designed them where changes in one can affect the other, you can say it's a little uncertain for their accuracy. Watch thermometer, you can also say it's more of a gimmick, since it measure your skin temperature more than anything else. But for an electronic compass, for which the tech is simple and widely available, most compass watches can be as accurate as a basic fluid filled compass, given that you calibrate properly. So out of A, B, C and T, at least C is feature you can use more often and trust in. I use / calibrate my watch compass at least once a week.

Now come to wonder, how many of you "collectors" for Rangeman's and Gulfmaster's really care about the ABC functions or just collecting them for their looks? ;-)
yes minimally...and to quote myself "in relation to time telling". even if youre doing a full day of orienteering (which you prob wouldnt use a watch for but for arguments sake...) it would be a couple seconds here and there as opposed to the 99% of the rest of the time youre using it to tell the time.

i bought my first protrek about 6 years ago, because there was no such thing as a G with ABC, for travelling (it has saved me many times over) and also for a spot of hiking and camping on the side. the only problem now is i love them so much im considering buying another one as a beater to prolong the life of the others!

for most ppl watches are jsut as much a fashion accessory as it is a functional tool. i doubt there are many ppl that would buy something they didnt like looking at simply because of a function. more so, there is more than likely a version out there that has those functions and a more appealing look, so that leads to the question do you only buy things solely on practicality? i dont think so ;)

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Use the ABC functions often as a sailor, particularly the barograph.

The PRW-2500 has solar charging and atomic time sync, triple sensor barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, barograph, tides, moon phase, multiple alarms, etc.

This one is the JDM version with Sapphire crystal and Carbon Fiber strap model PRW-S2500MG that comes with a Mini-Maglite flashlight.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use the ABC functions often as a sailor, particularly the barograph.
The PRW-2500 has solar charging and atomic time sync, triple sensor barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, barograph, tides, moon phase, multiple alarms, etc.
Add Sunrise and Sunset time, it would be the one Casio watch with the most complete functions. But so far I have not seen Casio doing tides, moon phase, sunrise/sunset all together in one watch. Don't know why, may be not enough memory for all that?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Add Sunrise and Sunset time, it would be the one Casio watch with the most complete functions. But so far I have not seen Casio doing tides, moon phase, sunrise/sunset all together in one watch. Don't know why, may be not enough memory for all that?
This is great to hear! I got my dad a PRW2500 for a gift. Will be giving it to him on the 25th.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts