WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tudor debuts in 2020 a series of over 50 Tudor Royal watches between four case sizes and a series of dial and material options. The Royal can be interpreted as the Tudor version of the Rolex Datejust or the Day-Date – depending on the version. A major part of the Tudor business model is to offer lower-cost alternatives to Rolex watches. As such, Tudor watch prices more or less top out where Rolex watch prices start. So compared to a Rolex Day-Date or Datejust, the Tudor Royal is a real bargain but do you think it is as good as the Rolex alternatives? Love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldnt say the tudor royal is better than the rolex day date or even datejust but its a good economical alternative.

Tudor has some really nice older model day dates that are really close to the rolex day date. These royals are similar but with a unique twist. Like a hybrid oysterquartz/day date.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,300 Posts
The Royal can be interpreted as the Tudor version of the Rolex Datejust or the Day-Date ...
the Tudor business model is to offer lower-cost alternatives to Rolex watches. As such, the Tudor Royal is a real bargain but do you think it is as good as the Rolex alternatives?.
Do I think the Tudor Royal is as good as the Rolex Datejust?

NO. Otherwise, it would be a Rolex.

In your own words above, you have already pointed out that the Tudor is a lower cost alternative to the Rolex Datejust or Day Date.

In the same way as I can buy a Seiko SARB and it is also a lower cost alternative to the Datejust. It is also beautifully finished but at a fraction of the cost of a Rolex. But, is it as good as a Rolex? No.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really want to like the royal but until I can see it in the flesh I’m going to reserve judgement. I just need to see the bezel.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
No, the movement is not as advanced and the case design and finish not as fine. Movement aside (surely manufacturers of any size should be moving beyond the 2824 now?) I'm sure it will be competitively good for the money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want to like the royal but until I can see it in the flesh I’m going to reserve judgement. I just need to see the bezel.
I have not seen it in the flesh neither. Besides the bezel, I’m also curious to see the strap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the movement is not as advanced and the case design and finish not as fine. Movement aside (surely manufacturers of any size should be moving beyond the 2824 now?) I'm sure it will be competitively good for the money.
Thanks for this insight

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
As far as I know it was intended mainly for the asian market. I kind of like it but its probably too dressy for my needs. Sadly, nowadays, Rolex can attract the wrong sort of attention which makes the Tudor a pretty good option if youre looking for something along the lines of a DJ minus the crown. Theres a tiresome assumption that people only buy a Tudor as they cant afford a Rolex. As to the movement, theres nothing wrong with the modified eta in the Tudor, I had an 1st gen Black bay (2 actually) and the performance was within cosc specs.

To answer your question, its a great watch, very reliable but dont kid yourself its a Rolex if you want a DJ. If you want a brilliant dress watch with a bit of heritage its better than the DJ in the sense youll have enough change from buying the Tudor to take the family on holiday or buy another watch.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The royal is an excellent watch if you like the design. Is it better than a DJ or day date? Nope.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My two Tudors (Ranger and Black Bay 41) are fine watches, but with ETA movements. Not sure how good the new Tudor in house movement is, or if the watches you're perusing have them, but either way Tudor makes a great watch. Not a Rolex, but great dependable watches in their own right.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I can’t tell if you, OP, are serious with this question. But if you are, Tudor does not use its in house movement in this watch but uses the ETA movement. Does the movement make one better than the other? In this case yes. Rolex has a more complex movement with great reliability. But most can’t afford a dd so less expensive alternatives are offered by more than Tudor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Observed it at the window showcase, couldnt take it in my hands because i dont like the rude sales people inside.

Honestly, case and bracelet reminded me of vintage AP Royal Oaks. Wannabe watch i would say.

The price is a bargain compared to a DJ, could be used at the office instead of a datejust.

·
Premium Member
21,801 Posts
I don't like the design of the Tudor Royal, in particular, I'm not fond of the bezel.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Observed it at the window showcase, couldnt take it in my hands because i dont like the rude sales people inside.

Honestly, case and bracelet reminded me of vintage AP Royal Oaks. Wannabe watch i would say.

The price is a bargain compared to a DJ, could be used at the office instead of a datejust.
Are any watches other than APs (vintage ones at that) "allowed" to have a captive bracelet? Where did this weird, arbitrary rule come from?

Since Rolex offered a very similar configuration in 1977 with the Oysterquartz (when I bet no one said anything about it being an AP wannabe because it was 1977), I'd say the only thing this watch could "wanna be" is a Rolex 1530. Which isn't such a bad thing. Even though no one in the target market knows or cares what a 1530 looks like :).

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Nope not at all

Nobody in the market for a day-date or Datejust is going to buy a Tudor Royal.

Plus this Tudor is not even competing with the DJ, it is trying to compete with another well known integrated bracelet watch called the Omega Constellation.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Best things in life are Royal

Royal Flush
Royal Blue
Royal Dutch Shell (biased, have a retirement account there)
Royal(e) with Cheese

Not only is the Tudor Royal the best buy it's a better watch than ANY Rolex by a huge margin. Laughable, not even close to a fair comparison. Is this the kind of social data your study needs OP?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts