• no as i use my mobile as the alarm

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I went option 3 as option 1 implies I use them for no appearant reason, but if I go to take a short nap (as I would use to do in the University Library) I would set one for like 20-30 minutes away to be sure I didn't miss class.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I went option 3 as option 1 implies I use them for no appearant reason, but if I go to take a short nap (as I would use to do in the University Library) I would set one for like 20-30 minutes away to be sure I didn't miss class.
I generally use my PDA to remind me of things I need to be reminded of, as it uses my Outlook calendar, so I only need to enter appointments once. The alarm rings on both my PC and my PDA, so even if I'm away from my desk I still get the alert.

Watch alarms are useful when there's something I want to be reminded of that's not quite important enough to justify an appointment entry in the calendar, e.g. reminder to watch some news event on TV, such as a space launch. Doesn't really matter if I miss it, but a gentle reminder is nice.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I use an alarm to remind me to take my afternoon medications, and another for my evening meds. I also use a third alarm as a reminder to catch the 3:55 bus home from work. If I miss that bus, I'm bumming. It's the last bus to leave town for the day.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have a thirty minute drive to work and I need to leave my house at 6:00am sharp or I'll be late.
But I also wake-up, shower, make coffee, walk the dog, and feed the dog and cat before I leave.
So, I keep my watch alarm set for 5:55am just in case I'm running alittle behind schedule.
Once it chimes I know that I only have 5 minutes to hit the road.

·
Registered
678 Posts
use the alarms on my Muddie as a daily alarm as well as ad-hoc alarms... having 5 alarms with the visual indication on the main face regardless of mode is a big plus for me :-! LONG LIVE THE MUDDIES!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
does it drain the battery significantly by having a daily alarm on?
It is a drain. Whether it's a significant drain or not depends on your definition of 'significant'. But it will have an impact on the life of the battery.

This is one of the prime advantages of solar powered watches. You can use and abuse the power-draining functions as much as you like, and the battery will get topped up again.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It is too quiet to wake me up, but I'll use it if already awake to remind me of an event.

-Gawain

·
G-Shock Mod
14,015 Posts
my G-Shock is my daily morning alarm :-!

atomic solar = always on time + no battery to change

multiple alarm or snz is really useful

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I use mine at lunchtime. I'm on flexi time so when I clock out for lunch I press the button. When it beeps after 29 minutes I walk to the clock and swipe back in recording a 30 minute lunch. Wouldn't dream of using it to wake me up way to soft.

Edit. Doh meant timer.

Best regards
Andy

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I use it daily as my backup alarm as main alarm ocasinally get's snoozed a bit too much... ;-)

As a backup, even thou they're quiet, I find tham usefull. They've never failed me. :-!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well i used it in my work to remind me when break is end too pitty.And of course to wake me up.The next topic is which G-Shock has the louder alarm.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Never use the alarm feature, I set it up when I first get a watch simply to see how loud it is...it is never loud enough (but I live in hope) so I then switch it off.

I voted for the mobile used as alarm, this WILL wake me up and is actually something I want when looking for a new phone.

My list of must have's with phones is quite simple, however nowadays most mobiles come with these features but it wasn't always the case.

My watch 'must have' list is very short.

1: Tells the time
2: I Like the look of it
3: Affordable or I can justify the expense if I really like the watch

Just for clarity my phone 'must have' list is as follows

1: Must have a loud ringer

2: Must work in the US

3: Must have a clear display

4: Free...this is a strange one for non UK people to get their heads around as here we don't pay for our cell phones if you have a monthly contract, fortunately I need to use my phone a lot so my (high) monthly payment plan allows me to choose from pretty much all phones for free.

5: Decent coverage..this is a mute point for as long as you are with either of the big 2 (Vodaphone or O2) then you have this coverage by default although I do find some places Vodaphone is better than O2 but then that also works the other way. Both companies have very similar agreements with overseas phone companies so one isn't any better than the other on this point.

Camera...don't care
WAP...don't care
GPRS..don't care
Games...don't care
Music playback...don't care
Fancy ringtones...don't care
Video conferencing..don't care
Sat nav...don't care (though my next phone will probably have this so I may change my mind about feature)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had never used the 5 daily alarms in my old Gs. I just don't need an alarm that goes off at some time every day. But, the reissued DW-5000 I just picked up has a multi-functional alarm that I seem to be using quite a bit. It's nice to be able to set the alarm for a specific day and time. If my boss tells me we need to have a meeting on some day at some time, I just set the alarm to remind me. If I'm waiting for something to close on ebay, I set the alarm to remind me. On certain days when my wife needs to be picked up from work, I set the alarm to remind me. I have also began to use this alarm to awaken me from my occasional afternoon naps. The only down side to this type of alarm is that you can only set one alarm at a time. It would be nice if you could set 5 multi-functional alarms all set on different days and different times.

I should note that it is much more effective than the alarm on my PDA because I don't always carry my PDA around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts