WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have noticed that most of us love Diving watches b-)
We don't wear them only for diving, but also daily and even as dress watches
Do you too like this? and if so then why?
and what watches will u use both as dress and diving, and witch one you can't bear using not as a diving watch only?
:)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I am an equal opportunity wearer. I wear my divers both for diving/schnorkelling as well as daily wear (work, at night/going out, etc). Often at work I need a large-face/big-case watch with an easily readable that I do not have to worry about when I transition from behind my desk out and into the bush, which I do on a regular basis during any given day due to my job. The big case let's the diver rest comfortable against my glove cuff. I wear gloves for when I am in the bush due to weather (it's Canada, after all), as well as during spring/summer/fall when I wear high-grip neoprene gloves to ensure no-slip contact with my equipment.

And with a diver I know that it is robust and can stand the abuse and punishment that I put it through and still look good that night under my shirt cuff when I am wearing a suit.

Anyway, just some random thoughts.

James

·
Registered
Too many Speedys!
1,885 Posts
Hi, I have noticed that most of us love Diving watches b-)
We don't wear them only for diving, but also daily and even as dress watches
Do you too like this? and if so then why?
and what watches will u use both as dress and diving, and witch one you can't bear using not as a diving watch only?
:)
Not to offend, but why do I like the color yellow? What is my preference for long legs and short skirts all about? You're going to get a million answers, and not sure why you're askin'. Just my two pesos:think:

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to offend, but why do I like the color yellow? What is my preference for long legs and short skirts all about? You're going to get a million answers, and not sure why you're askin'. Just my two pesos:think:
Ok my applogize
I will try to clearify what I meant :think:
I love Dive watches :-! , but I am not diving that much, I am more of a "desk diver" but still I love them :-d also I have noticed many other with the same attitude like me those days
If I think about the watch industry 20 years ago, it wasn't like that, most of the men had a more "gentle" small watch on their hands, but now days it is a bit different
So, is it just a fashion that will pass?
Is it something with the way we love watches? or what?
I am just curious why most of us are using diver watches all day long, even as dress watches sometimes
Ok, I hope that cleard things up |>

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We agree with Auto.....but will add we like them because we do a lot of fishing and do not have to worry about them getting wet.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
I wear diving watches exclusively...Why? Because I'm diver. I'm a recreational diver, a law enforcement rescue/recovery diver, a dive instructor and a dive industry professional. Diving is a very big part of who I am as a person.

Wardrobe, type of function or activity doesn't change my decision to wear a diver. I've NEVER entertained the thought that my dive watch wasn't dressy enough for a particular occassion. If I have to put on my tuxedo, then I'll still wear my dive watch. Just because I change clothes or participate in a non-diving activity, doesn't mean it changes who I am.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wear diving watches exclusively...Why? Because I'm diver. I'm a recreational diver, a law enforcement rescue/recovery diver, a dive instructor and a dive industry professional. Diving is a very big part of who I am as a person.

Wardrobe, type of function or activity doesn't change my decision to wear a diver. I've NEVER entertained the thought that my dive watch wasn't dressy enough for a particular occassion. If I have to put on my tuxedo, then I'll still wear my dive watch. Just because I change clothes or participate in a non-diving activity, doesn't mean it changes who I am.
:gold
Well, maybe you are a different case :-d
But, what about all of the people like me that arn't so "divers" in their real life and still wear diving watches ?

BTW, you do have a very nice collection of watches!

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Left or right wrist ?
Mike, not sure who you're asking but I'll answer anyway.

When topside, I wear it on my left wrist since I'm right handed.

When diving, it transitions to the right wrist next to the depth gauge. The reason is so the light head of the HID dive light (which is carried in the left hand) doesn't interfere with the watch. Another reason is so the watch and depth gauge can be illuminated by the light without having to change hands.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Dive watch 24/7 365 DOTY for 32 years.:-!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

Sub...would love to see pics of a "customized" SD:-!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Like any guy with even half of his required testosterone intact, I am drawn to a dive/tool watch that can take anything you throw at it and keep on going. And let's admit it, there is a bit of the James Bond idea that we can go from the bush to the tuxedo with the same watch on. For me, it is in jeans or khaki's most days conducting investigations, rougher duty gear for the occasional early morning arrest, and then sometimes days or weeks sitting in a courtroom during a trial. (I'm a criminal investigator/special agent). Reality probably is that for most of us, it is the only jewelry we wear, and we want to express our perceptions of ourselves...(ya know, rough and tumble, yet sophisticated....yeah, right!)

Hey, they are tools, we like the style, and we like our watches.....there is a reason that there is an "I" in "WIS":p b-)

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Diving watches are all I own and I wear them all the time. I don't wear any other jewelry except a Dog tag and wedding ring on a necklace.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
G

·
Hi,
:thanks for answering my (incomprehensible) question. :-!
What I had in mind was to predict the next possible question of EAD.

Nonetheless I am left handed and wearing my watches on the right wrist.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I got some nice answers here:-!
I also think that the main reason I wear Diving watches, are because I love tough watches that can stand any thing I thrue at themb-)

If a watch is both durable and classic look than I love it, it just serve my purpose of a watch as being both a "tool" and a somekind of a "jewel" on my hand:-!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Left wrist, wear them because they are tough and they tell the time very well in the dark (i regulary have night shifts). I prefere quartz movement because i like a precision watch. Automatics are great but they never run on time on my wrist.
Last time i made a dive was in 1990 (i snorkeled a lot to in that time) on curacoa were i was stationed (Navy). The watch i had back than was a citizen classic aqualand. Now i wear the new classic aqualand which looks almost identical.
Also i wear regulary a G-shock.
I never wear a suit always wear jeans with Meindels ad outdoor t-shirts and or sweaters.
My greatest hobby since i left the navy are my dogs, i have a great dane and a jack russel terrier.

Greetings, Kacho.b-)

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am not a diver at all. It has been over 20 years since I did any type of diving. I am around the gulf a lot though. I just love the durability of a good dive watch. I only own one, a Seiko Monster Diver automatic but it has become my favorite watch and I wear it daily.

I live in Louisiana and I sweat a lot outside working. Plus I work around water a lot. I initially bought the diver as a cheap automatic that I could wear to work because it had a rubber strap. I am now turning my collecting attention to dive watches. I have a couple black tie dress watches but I am moving the chronos and other dress type watches I have out and bringing in the divers.

Smurfe :)

·
6,880 Posts
That customized SD looks AWESOME.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts