WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so long ago I got some watches from my dad.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about this watch and what value it has?
Its a Docker Conographe Suisse Ancre 17 rubis. Antimagnetic.
It also says under the number 6, swiss made
On the back lid it says:
Fond Acier Inoxidable 326
Its in 18 k gold
I hope someone can help me

Attachments

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Chronographe Suisse? There's probably a movement from the Landeron 48 family inside. As to its age- 1950s, by the looks of it. No valuations here, but it's relatively easy to find similar pieces on eBay- just search completed listings for gold-plated chronographs with Landeron movements, made by small watch companies and private label brands (which are usually recognized by two things- you've never heard of such a brand, and Google gives no results...), and you'll have an idea of how much such watches go for.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Chronograph Suisse was a fairly common style of chronograph sold in large quantities to many smaller retailers. While many of them had "solid gold" cases, such cases were "solid gold" only in the most technical sense; the "gold" case was usually very very thin (often with hollow lugs) that was kept from deforming by the insertion of a solid base-metal retaining ring (acting as a "movement holder". It can be hard to properly gauge the value of the gold, since the retaining ring comprises most of the weight, and can't be easily removed. IN most cases, the value of the watch as a working chronograph will exceed the value of the gold.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Well, AbslomRob said all that can be said of Chronographe Suisse, I think. This one isn't gold, so I guess that back then it was even more affordable than the average Chronographe Suisse. It's gold-plated brass, with a layer 20 microns thick probably.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Ehhhh... There is a layer of gold on it, as I've said, and that layer might be of 18K gold as well, but the case itself is- repeat- brass. With a steel caseback. "Fond acier inoxydable" means "stainless steel caseback". In full steel cases you get "acier inox(ydable)" , "acier staybrite", "acier inoxydable staybrite", and so on. The "fond" indicates that the caseback is the only steel part of the case. Solid gold main bloc + steel caseback combinations don't exist.
It's not a solid gold watch- if the jeweller said it is, then I don't know what he's smoking, but I want some of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts