WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was re-watching this classic the other day (it always pops up around Halloween) and noticed that, during one of the scenes where the doctors are talking to Ellen Burstyn about what could possibly be wrong with her daughter (o_O), the doc leading the discussions was wearing a quite-handsome chrono.

But what is it? I've included a couple screencaps (flipped for better viewing), but neither is sharp enough for me to read a logo or a whole lot else. The hands appear to be orange or red. Given the markings on the bezel it's not a Daytona (shape is wrong, too). My eyes may be deceiving me, but it appears that the watch may even be sporting a nice Tropic strap.

What say you pros?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I think you're right about the tropic. Looks like a variation on a Valjoux 92 maybe a croton or Movado 1960's

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're right about the tropic. Looks like a variation on a Valjoux 92 maybe a croton or Movado 1960's
That does make sense. This Heuer Autavia (Valjoux 72) from 1968 looks darn close, though I always thought the older Autavias (such as the Rindt) were smallish--around 39mm or so--while the one DevilDoc is wearing seems fairly large. Or maybe his wrists are really thin ...

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
That does make sense. This Heuer Autavia (Valjoux 72) from 1968 looks darn close, though I always thought the older Autavias (such as the Rindt) were smallish--around 39mm or so--while the one DevilDoc is wearing seems fairly large. Or maybe his wrists are really thin ... View attachment 15514966
Good call - I think your right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The same actor wore the same watch a couple of years later as one of the husbands on "The Stepford Wives" (1975).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The same actor wore the same watch a couple of years later as one of the husbands on "The Stepford Wives" (1975).
That's an incredible nugget of info! Now I have a reason to check out "The Stepford Wives"--purely for watch-seeking purposes, you understand.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
My nomination is a 1970’s Sinn 103...

IMG_8277.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. That Sinn does look awfully close as well ... Hmmm.

BTW ... following-up on what @heb mentioned, I checked out the original "The Stepford Wives" and--sure enough--the same actor IS wearing the same chronograph he wore in "The Exorcist." Unfortunately, there were no good tight close-ups that I noticed, so beyond confirming it's the same watch I still can't be sure exactly what it is.

An interesting side note (after doing some digging on IMDB): The actor in question, Peter Masterson (who passed away in 2018), was actually much better know as the writer who adapted a magazine article into the hit musical "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." Bet he spent some of the proceeds from that success on yet another cool timepiece ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts