WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I saw that WUS is an authoriezed dealer for this watch. I read they used to be supplied to the French Airforce in the 60's. Other than that I don't know much. Any info on Dodane? Anyone ever see one or handle one?

The new release looks kinda cool.

I am starting to be drawn to military type watches whether they are the Airman watches or something like the Stowa Marine.

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So mainly they supply chronometric instruments aircraft. I just perused through it but will have to read it thoroughly. I really like the look of this watch as well and it fits right into the military/flyer theme.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Crusader said:
I consider Dodane one of the great brands of French military watchmaking.
Great brand with great features that are truely unique also.
Such as, the retour en vol flyback feature, and the countdown rotating bezel.
Few watches have these features. Practical usefulness these days for these features is something I don't understand, but I find them unique and interesting.
Thanks for the booklet - in english... finally.
DanG

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Vintage Dodane Type 21 pictures

In order to illustrate better the heritage, here are a few pictures of my personal example of the military Dodane Type 21 delivered to the French Air Force in the 1960s:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great pics Pascal. I don't understand why the Dodane 1857 Type 21 is not bi-compax … I know tri-compax is more useful … by bi-compax would be traditional and more popular. The price needs a slight adjustment too IMHO.

john

·
Registered
18 Posts
in fact you could found Dodane type 20/21 with the name : Dodane, DoD (civi market), Airin (or/and Airain) and Chronofixe (or/and Chronofix).

Dodane have build watch like subcontrator for CWC, ZRC Grand Fond( French military diver watch, now ZRC make just bracelet, watch Band and claps), Sinn .....

The others Brand who build Breguet (type 20), Vixa (Type 20 with hanhart part and with labor French Timex subsidiary), and Auricost (French compagny)

-some explanation
-The Type 20: French Military Chronographs by Stephen Sugiyama

Dynamo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there,

I have a Dodane 1857 Type 21 that I received about 2 months ago ... So if you ever come around Detroit ... You are more than welcome to let me know so I can show you the watch.

Good night,

JuL

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: Vintage Dodane Type 21 parts - do they exist?

In order to illustrate better the heritage, here are a few pictures of my personal example of the military Dodane Type 21 delivered to the French Air Force in the 1960s:
Absolutely beautiful pictures, and wonderful condition Type 21 - thanks.
I wonder... it seems you are in the EU area, perhaps France?
Are you aware of any watchmakers there who may have stock of these hands and crystal for Dodane Type 21?

If Cedric Dodane reads this thread and can source parts for these historic watches, please tell us how we can have these watches refurbished. My chrono running seconds with arrow end is clipped quite noticeably, which leads me to wonder if the crystal is wrong and someone in the past clipped the chrono hand to fit the crystal. Perhaps someone closer to watchmaking services can speak to that possibility?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have notice that some of you search a good watch repairer who can be able to fix or refurbished original type 21.

Currently, as we relaunch our public activity, we do not have yet enough spare parts stock of old type 21 movements to propose a restoration service.
Thus, we ensure only, for the moment, the maintenance of on board chronometric instruments 211 and TYPE 11, and reissue of the TYPE 21.

We will carry out that service in the several months, and we will inform you as soon as possible.

So, we can only unofficially"advise" you 2 master watch-repairers, located in France, who own spare part and who are fully competent to restore the original TYPE 21:

"Horlogerie des Remparts"
Mr. Eric Degrange
39 rue Montbazon
33000 Bordeaux
Tel: +33 (0) 5 56 90 91 06

"Measure, art of time"
Mr. Jacques Coleno
9 rue Emile BURGAULT
56000 Valves
Tel: +33 (0)2 97 54 93 67
Fax: +33 (0)2 97 54 93 69
E-mail : [email protected]

The time of that type of repair can be very long because both are few available. And they can't assure that all the repairs can't be done if they don't own the good spare part or if the watch is in too bad condition. More over, take care of the shippment if you send your watch to repair.

As I say before, our company will officiallycarry out that service in the several months, and we will inform you as soon as possible.

Best regards

Cédric Dodane

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thanks a lot for the update, Cédric.

While my vintage Type 21 could probably use a service, it does not need any restoration work yet. That said, I will definitely keep those two addresses in mind if the need arises. And I will welcome the news of your reborn operation being able to offer this kind of service in the near future.

Also, while my current financial situation does not allow me to make any major purchase (unemployment is a good way of taming one's watch addiction!), I will certainly remember the level of service you are offering for free to the readers of this board. I quite like your "new Type 21", so one day maybe I'll find myself in the position to be a customer of yours. In any case, I wish you the best of luck in your current business venture.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Best regards
Cédric Dodane
Thank you very much for this news about upcoming services at Dodane.

I check often to see what is being sold at auction with connection to Dodane.

I see on ebay that there is a Type 21 for sale.
The seller indicates that Dodane at one time used their own movement? That sounds very interesting. Here is the french text of the item:
Dodane costruì i cronografi Type 20 e Type 21 tra il 1960 ed il 1980 per l'aviazione francese. Diversi movimenti sono stati utilizzati per tali modelli tra cui i Valjoux 222 (22 + flyback) i Valjoux 235 (val 23 + flyback) ed i Val. 720.

Which apparently translates to this in english:
Dodane constructed Type 20 and Type 21 chronographs between 1960 and 1980. ì They started with their own movements and then switched to outside movements including the Valjoux cal. 22 (cal. 222), Valjoux cal. 23 (235) and later the Valjoux cal. 720.

Is this statement true? or is this seller mis-informed?
Perhaps Cedric is the one to answer, but if someone else knows about this, please tell us about this piece of information.

Item at ebay is item 160074580196 and is currently selling at almost 1500 dollars. Nice looking Type 21.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Here is the french text of the item:
Dodane costruì i cronografi Type 20 e Type 21 tra il 1960 ed il 1980 per l'aviazione francese. Diversi movimenti sono stati utilizzati per tali modelli tra cui i Valjoux 222 (22 + flyback) i Valjoux 235 (val 23 + flyback) ed i Val. 720.

Which apparently translates to this in english:
Dodane constructed Type 20 and Type 21 chronographs between 1960 and 1980. ì They started with their own movements and then switched to outside movements including the Valjoux cal. 22 (cal. 222), Valjoux cal. 23 (235) and later the Valjoux cal. 720.
Hi Dan, the language in your quote was Italian, not French. My Italian is very rusty, but the translation should IMHO be amended:
First: per l'aviazione francese = for the french air force.
Second: In the second sentence I can not identify a mentioning of own movements. IMHO the second sentence reads as follows in English: Various movements have been used fore these models, including the Valjoux 222 (22 + flyback), the Valjoux 235 (val 23 + flyback) and the ed i Val. 720.
This both have been translation errors by the seller...

Apart from this 2 issues the sellers further Italian text translates into English as follows (not what the seller wrote himself in English):
The watch as offered is a Type 21 issued to the French Air Force as indicated by the markings FG on the caseback. The movement is a beautiful column wheel VJ 253 with flyback function (retour en vol).
The watch is in optimal condition considering the age, the strap is not as in the photo, it has been replaced by a beautiful Moratello high quality leather strap.

Some of our Italian members (hello rouge...) could probably do better than me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts