WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am brand new to this forum, so please excuse me for any ignorant errors (posting in the wrong place, accidentally offending anyone, etc.). I will gladly amend my post to anyone's grievances.

As for my question:
I've been looking far and wide for a versatile watch. Ideally, I imagine a medium-to-large sized diameter (preferably in the range of below 40-42 mm), with a metal band and water resistant to at least 100 M (so that I may go swimming with it). Furthermore, I want it to be equipped with an ETA (or debatable *equivalent*, e.g. Sellita) movement. Because I want a thinner, more dressier watch, I believe that the ETA 2892 would probably be optimal, though would obviously *settle* (lol) for an equally efficient 2824 or -36. Again, COSC would be preferable.

HOWEVER (and here's the killer), does such a thing exist at around (and below) $1000?
Ideal Scenario: ETA 2892, COSC, 100M+ WR, metal/non-leather band/strap.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much for your time!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Let's see:
Thin: Yep.
Mid-Large: Yep, 42mm.
Dressy: Yep.
Metal Bracelet: Yep.
WR >100 meters: Yep, although I wouldn't swim in it. That's what dedicated "beaters" are for. But it could take splashes.
Chronometer: Yep.
Affordable: $750.
I give you the Mido All Dial chronometer:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory White Fashion accessory

Available Here.

·
Registered
871 Posts
when i read the title i thought the price range would be like 50-200$
there are may quality availiable in the <1000$ range
check out Hamilton for example. or Seiko (well no ETA but who gonna get hung up on semantics ;))

·
Premium Member
9,071 Posts
Check the mechanical watches on DEAL EXTREME you cannot get much more affordable than these also at a higher price checkout the Vostok Amphibias shown off by forum members in Russian watches. You will find links for sellers there as well. All of the watches I have mentioned cost a fraction of 750 dollars keep Good time and look good AFIAC.Also, the Amphibias are divers wr to 200 meters with ss cases and auto movements. I really cannot understand why 100 meter wr is considered by some as not suitable for swimming. Static overpressure is minimal at even 20 feet if you dive,Swimming you will probably not be further than 6 feet under the water( during a flip turn) much more and you are probably drowning.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The Mido All Dial is a good choice! Also, the Mido Belluna ...

And, the Mido Baroncelli Chronometer Jubilee ...

(both images borrowed)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
When you said poor mans price I was wondering what the criteria were financially. I started reading your requirements and thinking of brands in my head and then when I saw $1k or less it all went out the window as I dont think of this as a poor mans budget.

Mido as pointed out has been renowned for its value and ability to bring a COSC certification with it by many. Christopher Ward has been called the best value watch by many who have owned them. Hamilton is another solid watch with ETA movements to look at (I just picked up the Viewmatic 40mm).

I know there are others I am failing to mention that I either dont have a lot of knowledge around and am unfamiliar with, Seiko to name one.

If you are interested in pre-owned your options open widely.

I will add, and please note that this my personal opinion in my early experience in mechanical pieces, that your COSC ideal may be worth re-thinking. I say that because it is going to add cost into your purchase and may or may not add any real accuracy into your piece. I am in the process of running time trials on my Hammy which started at -5/-6 seconds per day but after a little more than a week it appears to have settled in the -2s/d range (granted, I am only 3 days into this formal trial, of which I plan on posting the details for when complete). Additionally, you can always through self-regulation or through a good watchmaker have your watch regulated to COSC-like accuracy just without the official certification. It should also be noted that COSC tests movements before casing, what happens to the movement from the lab to the factory, casing, shipping, etc etc could leave it outside of COSC standards. Again, I am relatively new to a lot of the mechanical world and am not trying to say the COSC cert is worthless by any means, I am just saying you may want to research that requirement further.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, I guess a thousand bucks can be considered a poor man's price these days becuase a buck ain't worth what it used to be. There's just so much value at that price out there I'd be going all night giving you examples.

Here's a Stowa at about $700 US direct from the manufacturer and if you're hung up on COSC for $200 extra you can add a ETA 2824-2. I'm not pushing Stowa; there's lots of others producing watches that will serve you well for a lifetime out there.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
As mentioned above, 1000USD isn't really a poor man's price, I would call it more of a practical man's price. There are many many watches which meet your criteria; however few of them use the 2892. From my long list of watches:

archimede sporttaucher 41.5mm diameter, 12mm height, ~850 USD new

nauticfish five hundred 42mm dia, 12mm height, ~730 USD (add 290EUR for COSC) new NAUTICFISH NAUTISCHE ZEITMESSER
MK II vantage V1 Classic Rolex Explorer design upsized for modern tastes, 39mm diameter, 12.3mm height, a steal at $655 USD plus shipping: Vantage V1 --Vantage V1 on bracelet Detail Page

Given your criteria, I think the Vantage fits it to a "T". A great watch you can wear pretty much anywhere, anytime and it would not look out of place.

All of the above are new. If you're willing to wait and grab something off of the used market, there's a whole 'nother huge bag of choices. You might be able to snag a Omega SMP for a bit above your maximum price, and that would come with the omega 1120 which is a modified (some say improved) 2892 movement. Another great used watch which would fit your budget (if you're lucky enough to find one on the used market) would be a Damasko DA36 or 37.

Given your criteria, I'd get the MKII Vantage every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Additionally, you can always through self-regulation or through a good watchmaker have your watch regulated to COSC-like accuracy just without the official certification. It should also be noted that COSC tests movements before casing, what happens to the movement from the lab to the factory, casing, shipping, etc etc could leave it outside of COSC standards. Again, I am relatively new to a lot of the mechanical world and am not trying to say the COSC cert is worthless by any means, I am just saying you may want to research that requirement further.
COSC guarantees under warranty that a watch will be -4/+6, and will have no exorbitant positional variation. That's the sign of a good movement, and that's what COSC guarantees.

I would absolutely recommend, as others have, the Mido chronometers. They're priced nicely, and they're handsome. Another good choice, same price, would be the Ocean7 Classic, available as COSC, pvd or ss; looks much like the Mido, or the Mido looks much like it. I believe a lot of the noise of 2892/3 being the best movement is more marketing than fact (it costs more, it must be better). A COSC anything is a good movement, IMO.

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
Come to think of it, I know a senior vice president at a private equity firm who makes quite a bit and he wears a BMW M watch and considers $300 to a lot to spend on a watch.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
COSC guarantees under warranty that a watch will be -4/+6, and will have no exorbitant positional variation. That's the sign of a good movement, and that's what COSC guarantees.
Correct and at times well worth it. If you have ever had a watch run +20 I bet you wish you could send it in under warranty to get regulated. For some it is not as easy as just dropping off somewhere to get regulated and at that point between the money/time spent COSC can be well worth it. Plus it is a better movement, you are not just getting the variance guarantee. This does not mean a chronometer is the end all be all. I have an adjusted Miyota movement running +1.5, granted that is VERY unlikely and I got extremely lucky. I think COSC is more important on upper end watches for various reasons IMO.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think this cannot be repeated enough: Mido, Mido, Mido all the way. They have excellent designs, some iconic like the Commander Chronometer...

If you are willing to scout pre-owned or vintages, there you can score some sweet Carl F. Bucherer pieces for about half Mido brand new price. But it requires more knowledge and patience to nail a good one + majority of them are dress watches, while with Mido you can have warranty in all types of dress, sporty, sportier... ;-)

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Correct and at times well worth it. If you have ever had a watch run +20 I bet you wish you could send it in under warranty to get regulated. For some it is not as easy as just dropping off somewhere to get regulated and at that point between the money/time spent COSC can be well worth it. Plus it is a better movement, you are not just getting the variance guarantee. This does not mean a chronometer is the end all be all. I have an adjusted Miyota movement running +1.5, granted that is VERY unlikely and I got extremely lucky. I think COSC is more important on upper end watches for various reasons IMO.
I appreciate that you expanded what I said :-!.

Yes, but what's the positional variation on your Miyota movement?

I posed the question earlier as to whether or not a COSC well-balanced movement (tight tolerance on positional variation) would be more stable and thus more reliable over the long-haul. I'm pretty sure it was Lysanderxiii who suggested yes, maybe true.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Yes, but what's the positional variation on your Miyota movement?
5 days wrist time, no time off the wrist. Very scientific!

That said, I have personally sent two chronometers in under warranty to be regulated. One ran +10, the other +12, now +1.5 and +2. Extremely with that and very happy to have the guarantee. I judge mine by natural wrist time, I will wear a watch straight including sleeping for continuous days. I do not care about crown up, crown down, etc. I care about how I wear the wear the watch and for me I expect -4 +6 under these conditions. Realistic or fare? I do not care really, that is my expectation when I pay for COSC certification. Granted I probably would not mess with sending it unless it hits double digits, which I did. Non chronometer a lot more mentally relaxed about. Anyway...

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are plenty of Accutron watches on EBay ALL of them with the same movements mentioned in this post and ALL of them Swiss made. From 2824 to 2829 and every ETA movement arround you will find the best quality/price ratio in an Accutron watch. They go for $150 and beyond on EBay.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Check out the Seiko SARB series. All under $700 and the 6r15 movement has a longer power reserve than the ETAs. You get better finishing than the Swiss options, too.

32 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Lüm-Tec brand for their designs and pricing (although the prices are on the rise) Most are well under $1000 Check the Lumzilla LZ2 in particular.

Try the CGA Company for a good selection of L-T's The owner is pretty good about working deals =)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts