WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some advice. I am in a frenzy. I am liking, thinking, watching, dreaming watches these days.

today I saw a seiko with one of my friend who just bought a watch. I think it’s seiko sports new model. I clicked a pic attached with this post on my hand.

so, here is my question is it normal for a through and through gshock fan and user. Who bangs watches and rough uses them most, like or move to a seiko.

This is the first time ever I am trying a seiko and don’t know anything about it. Strap, bracelet or whatever it’s on.

Do they require maintenance, it’s a automatic so doesn’t require battery change that I am aware.

Will a gshock user ever get used to it or regret it later or lock it up in cabinet.

I don’t know what has happened. I have bought many watches but somehow I am not being satisfied. What do you all suggest..!!

I bought a solar gshock recently which was received dead. What if I return it and get this seiko?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only other brand watch apart from casio I own is seiko - spring drive tech is 😎
I'm in for a citizen 0100 accurate G tho, where are the HAQ digital watches? Casio is missing a trick imho

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
774 Posts
Casio and Seiko were always my main manufacturers of watch buying. But while i still love Casio, i've had enough of Seiko due to their excessive price rises and poor quality control. Even the watch you've pictured has a slight misalignment on the dial/chapter ring. They can be worse than this. If you get an ok one, Seiko are nice watches. But i think they are overpriced now for their lower tier 4r movements, which is in the watch you pictured.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Casio and Seiko were always my main manufacturers of watch buying. But while i still love Casio, i've had enough of Seiko due to their excessive price rises and poor quality control. Even the watch you've pictured has a slight misalignment on the dial/chapter ring. They can be worse than this. If you get an ok one, Seiko are nice watches. But i think they are overpriced now for their lower tier 4r movements, which is in the watch you pictured.
what is this misalignment on dial and chapter ring?

should it bother me? sorry m naive in this

alsohow will the bezel stand up against the daily abuse. Will the looks remain same or perishes over time

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
A G-Shock fan may own other brands but he/she will never leave G-Shock.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
774 Posts
what is this misalignment on dial and chapter ring?

should it bother me? sorry m naive in this

alsohow will the bezel stand up against the daily abuse. Will the looks remain same or perishes over time
in
Have a look at the second markers on the chapter ring and how they correspond to the indices. Its out at 6 o'clock. Only slightly on this one, but it can be worse. Seiko has a reputation for it. If you're not fussy about things then it doesn't matter.
Of course this is only a Seiko 5, on the more expensive divers i wont put up with these sort of defects.
I would buy Casio, either G Shock, Edifice or Protrek over Seiko any day. For autos now i would look to Citizen or the Chinese homages like Steeldive or San Martin, of which i've bought a couple recently. No misalignments and better spec with sapphire and ceramic bezel.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey guys I need some advice. I am in a frenzy. I am liking, thinking, watching, dreaming watches these days.
I don’t know what has happened. I have bought many watches but somehow I am not being satisfied. What do you all suggest..!!

I bought a solar gshock recently which was received dead. What if I return it and get this seiko?
My suggestion is to...

Take a walk.

Lift some weights.

Breath.

Relax.

Then just think about what you want.

Look around.

Stop jumping from one thing to another so rapidly, like someone without the ability to concentrate.

Think before moving.

What watch do you want? I mean really, really, really want?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I was the opposite. Seiko through and through, more or less, then migrated to G-Shock.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

today I saw a seiko with one of my friend who just bought a watch. I think it’s seiko sports new model. I clicked a pic attached with this post on my hand.

View attachment 15558179

so, here is my question is it normal for a through and through gshock fan and user. Who bangs watches and rough uses them most, like or move to a seiko.

This is the first time ever I am trying a seiko and don’t know anything about it. Strap, bracelet or whatever it’s on.

Do they require maintenance, it’s a automatic so doesn’t require battery change that I am aware.

Will a gshock user ever get used to it or regret it later or lock it up in cabinet.

I´m passing for this right this moment. I even thought you was talking about me when I read the thread title. LOL
I collect Gs since 2011. Just love it. My line of work required something rugged at that time. Now I work most of the time at a desk and am constantly at meetings with judges, the mayor and so on. So I started two months ago with a GSTB-100 (wich is still in transit, ouch!) and start to look to seikos. Now I have three Seikos, two more incoming and looking for another one. I really like the Seikos divers and field watches, they are almost so rugged as Gs and are great looking. Best use of your money if you are looking for automatic watches. I highly recomend you look for Jory at the Time Teller Chanel at Youtube and the Urban Gentry Chanel as well. That´s so much to learn about automatic watches!! The Seiko 5 Sports looks very nice and it´s a great entry gate with that display case back. You should look at the SRPC61 Bottle Cap. Or, if you have deep pockets, you really should take a look on the discontinued Tuna SBBN031, that´s a grail if you look for an extra tactical apearence. But not fully automatic tough, it has a battery on. Kinda mix of quartz and mechanical. Superb!
Mostly of Seikos dont require servicing cos the beat of 21100.
You definitely should return the dead gshock and get a Seiko. Also look for the Seiko Turtles, I got a Padi, it has a truly amazing quality for what you pay.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My suggestion is to...

Take a walk.

Lift some weights.

Breath.

Relax.

Then just think about what you want.

Look around.

Stop jumping from one thing to another so rapidly, like someone without the ability to concentrate.

Think before moving.

What watch do you want? I mean really, really, really want?
@FROG
that I have been thinking over and over and not able to settle down.

I have been on a garmin vivoactive and forerunner, Fitbit versa user for past 3 years. Except forerunner (each watch was broken except forerunner which was bought recently).

Prior to that have been gshock ga110 through for 8 years as a daily beater. Which worked fine but had trouble reading time as hands gets mixed with background and weak backlight.

After using these fitness trackers actually m fed up of the effort to look at screen, continuous tracking and checking the phone for updates and activities done heart rate.

I don’t want to do it.

I want a watch easy to read, goes with my personality and take up the rough abuse I make them go through. And survive.

initially I thought I want digitalso bought rangeman. But clear hands of protrek prg600 tempted me. But bezel started scratching. Gravitymaster on time syncing got me lured. Prw3500 had bigger no. But I returned this. Got a square although I liked it but found it smaller on my wrist.
That’s what I think of now presently.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I´m passing for this right this moment. I even thought you was talking about me when I read the thread title. LOL
I collect Gs since 2011. Just love it. My line of work required something rugged at that time. Now I work most of the time at a desk and am constantly at meetings with judges, the mayor and so on. So I started two months ago with a GSTB-100 (wich is still in transit, ouch!) and start to look to seikos. Now I have three Seikos, two more incoming and looking for another one. I really like the Seikos divers and field watches, they are almost so rugged as Gs and are great looking. Best use of your money if you are looking for automatic watches. I highly recomend you look for Jory at the Time Teller Chanel at Youtube and the Urban Gentry Chanel as well. That´s so much to learn about automatic watches!! The Seiko 5 Sports looks very nice and it´s a great entry gate with that display case back. You should look at the SRPC61 Bottle Cap. Or, if you have deep pockets, you really should take a look on the discontinued Tuna SBBN031, that´s a grail if you look extra tactical look. But not fully automatic though, it has a battery on. Kinda mix of quartz and mechanical. Superb!
Mostly of Seikos dont require servicing cos the beat of 21100.
You definitely should return the dead gshock and get a Seiko. Also look for the Seiko Turtles, I got a Padi, it has a truly amazing quality for what you pay.
Thank you for this input. What’s the beat of 21100

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
It's 21600 beats per hour (6 beats per second) for most cheaper Seiko movements.

A balance's vibration rate is traditionally measured in beats (ticks) per hour, or BPH, although beats per second and Hz are also used. The length of a beat is one swing of the balance wheel, between reversals of direction, so there are two beats in a complete cycle. Balances in precision watches are designed with faster beats, because they are less affected by motions of the wrist.[3] Alarm clocks and kitchen timers often have a rate of 4 beats per second (14,400 BPH). Watches made prior to the 1970s usually had a rate of 5 beats per second (18,000 BPH). Current watches have rates of 6 (21,600 BPH), 8 (28,800 BPH) and a few have 10 beats per second (36,000 BPH). Audemars Piguet currently produces a watch with a very high balance vibration rate of 12 beats/s (43,200 BPH).[4] During WWII, Elgin produced a very precise stopwatch that ran at 40 beats per second (144,000 BPH), earning it the nickname 'Jitterbug'.[5]

·
Registered
85 Posts

View attachment 15558179

OK, lots of good opinions here.
Seiko is an established brand with a reputation for value and quality. The Seiko 5 is an entry level automatic. These entry level Seikos are reasonably accurate and durable, but YMMV on the accuracy front. I believe Seiko only guarantees to within + or minus 30 or 40 seconds per day, but usually they do better than that. The watch should run reliably for quite awhile, 5 to 10 years maybe. Getting an automatic serviced is expensive and the problem you will eventually run into is by the time your watch needs to be serviced, it is likely the cost of servicing will exceed the value of the watch, so something to consider when buying an automatic as opposed to a quartz or solar watch. Nonetheless, automatics can be serviced multiple times where as when a quartz watch breaks, you usually have to toss it.

Another downside of these watches are they feature hardlex crystals (a type of Mineral crystal) which is durable, but not as scratch proof as sapphire. It isn't that big a deal for me as I am not all that hard on my watches. And some will note that micro brands do offer sapphire crystals at this price point, so worth considering. Especially if you are really hard on your watches.

All that said, if you can get one for around $200, it is still a good value, though not as good a value as the old Seiko 5, which you could often get for around $100. But the current model has a nicer look, and the movement hacks and handwinds, unlike the old ones, where you just had to shake it a bunch to get the watch to run.

On balance, I like Seiko. I have 4 of them, 2 of them automatics, 1 quartz, and 1 kinetic. They are well made watches that look good and last a long time. But only you can decide if the watch pictured is the watch for you.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have one G-Shock bought last month and one Seiko bought in the mid-80's. I don't and wouldn't collect either and Seiko holds zero interest to me whatsoever these days. Seiko hasn't had an original thought in decades (save for a movement or two in the GS watches all of which look the same).

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are asking people to essentially define your personal outlook, and predict your individual likes, and dislikes. You need to take a little bit of time to think about and research watches (as a hobby). It's natural to feel a little insecure when you first jump in, but this line of questioning is inane. There are "no norms" (particularly for g-shock owners insert joke here). You're better off asking a question like : "how does an entry-level seiko compare to a g-shock for hard use?" Then, we can give some specifics, things to think about, anecdotes, etc. We can give you information, not validation.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I´m loving this thread, I´m learning a lot. Thank you OP for rising this question and thank you guys for your explanations. It´s been very helpful for a mechanical noob as myself. LOL

1 - 20 of 70 Posts