WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
None us really migrate away from G-Shock to Seiko or Citizen. Most of us are also fans of Seiko and Citizen and also have them.

I bought a GW5000 to replace the one that was cancelled from the Casio Outlet Store sale I also bought a G-Shock Move Heart rate and GPS and Japan Market Seiko Turtle (SBDY015)

I like both companies watches.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was the opposite. Seiko through and through, more or less, then migrated to G-Shock.
This was my route in, too.

I'd recommend looking at Orient watches too, they've pretty much taken over from Seiko in the 'value for money Japanese automatic diver' category, IMHO. Google Orient Kamasu, Mako and Kano models.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hey guys I need some advice. I am in a frenzy. I am liking, thinking, watching, dreaming watches these days.

today I saw a seiko with one of my friend who just bought a watch. I think it’s seiko sports new model. I clicked a pic attached with this post on my hand.

View attachment 15558179

so, here is my question is it normal for a through and through gshock fan and user. Who bangs watches and rough uses them most, like or move to a seiko.

This is the first time ever I am trying a seiko and don’t know anything about it. Strap, bracelet or whatever it’s on.

Do they require maintenance, it’s a automatic so doesn’t require battery change that I am aware.

Will a gshock user ever get used to it or regret it later or lock it up in cabinet.

I don’t know what has happened. I have bought many watches but somehow I am not being satisfied. What do you all suggest..!!

I bought a solar gshock recently which was received dead. What if I return it and get this seiko?
Really?

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you mean trying an analog watch for a change, you could stick with Casio. This is $50 (well, with a $45 chromexel leather strap added). The stock strap was forgettable, but it’s a very good quartz dive-style watch that is an outstanding value.

I wouldn’t worry about the quality of Seiko watches if you decide to go that route. I wore their basic dive watch, SKX007, every other day for about 15 years. Unless you regularly inspect your watches with a magnifying lense, highly unlikely you would notice any small mis-alignment or the tiny scratches that sometimes show up on the bezel insert for an intro-level Prospex diver. Get a solar quartz movement if you don’t want the hassle of a mechanical Seiko.

This is the only Seiko I currently own. It costs a fair piece more than most solar Prospex divers or the Turtle divers (turtle nickname due to the shape of the case). But, the watch is a step up - better movement, much nicer bracelet, sapphire crystal, and the finishing is excellent - everything lines up, nice polished and brushed surfaces, super-comfortable to wear. As someone who wears watches while hiking, canoeing, kayaking, in the ocean, I’m not concerned that this will get exposed to some abuse or may accumulate some marks eventually. If it runs well for years to come, doesn’t quit when it gets wet or knocked around a little, it will have done what I expected it to do.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You are asking people to essentially define your personal outlook, and predict your individual likes, and dislikes. You need to take a little bit of time to think about and research watches (as a hobby). It's natural to feel a little insecure when you first jump in, but this line of questioning is inane. There are "no norms" (particularly for g-shock owners insert joke here). You're better off asking a question like : "how does an entry-level seiko compare to a g-shock for hard use?" Then, we can give some specifics, things to think about, anecdotes, etc. We can give you information, not validation.
So

how does an entry level seikocompare to a g-shock for rough or hard use

may this sounds better. But this also gets my point, just better.

I´m loving this thread, I´m learning a lot. Thank you OP for rising this question and thank you guys for your explanations. It´s been very helpful for a mechanical noob as myself. LOL
Same here. So much things I came to know about watches. Thanks to these lovely guys

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
never mind me, I am just watching this thread CLOSELY to find out who is/are the traitors/moles in the F17
you know those guys that join the WRURT thread everyday in F17, BUT, with their SEIKOs in hope that they would recruit some back to their pathetic sub-forum
lolz
Hahaha

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Casio and Seiko were always my main manufacturers of watch buying. But while i still love Casio, i've had enough of Seiko due to their excessive price rises and poor quality control. Even the watch you've pictured has a slight misalignment on the dial/chapter ring. They can be worse than this. If you get an ok one, Seiko are nice watches. But i think they are overpriced now for their lower tier 4r movements, which is in the watch you pictured.
I began my watch addiction with Seiko a little over 10 years ago. Back then I swear they had fewer quality control issues and the watches seemed more “bang for your buck” like the original SBDX001 Marinemaster.

As of late I have just two Seiko tuna divers and a lot of G-Shocks. I may get another Seiko one day but the last one with a chapter ring issue bothered me for a while.

I have also seen Seiko models at stores and the chapter ring issue seems more common. Also, the prices of fan favorite models like the Tuna just seem to go higher with marginal cosmetic upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I like G-Shock...not a Seiko fan. I prefer the Citizen Promaster line of watches for quartz. For a knock-around automatic, I prefer the Glycine Combat Sub. So, to answer your question, I don’t know if others went to Seiko, but I didn’t.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Many of us own numerous brands. The reason that we post on this forum is the great community (certain notable exceptions aside), not because we think that G-Shocks are inherently "good" and other watches are inherently "bad".

There is nothing to be jingoistic about when it comes to watches. They're just watches. And watches are just an exciting, fun and interesting blend of form and function. Where you sit on the spectrum of that blend will vary over time, depending on the "mood" you're aiming for / are in, and that in turn will inform the watches you get interested in.

I tend to wear G-Shocks predominantly at home and for casual outings. They're fun, look cool, and often (except for MRGs) have much lower barriers to entry than other watches, which means collecting them is easier, on a number of levels.

Seiko has a brilliant range. I've had, and still have, a bunch of them. Ditto with Citizen and Orient (although fewer in number).

My advice is to take a step back and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have everything from a Casio Marlin to a Rolex Hulk. Buy a $250 Seiko and enjoy having a little machine on your wrist.
This. If you’ve not had an automatic watch before Seiko is a great place to start.

If you’re worried about quality control make sure you buy a Japanese made Seiko. There will be a J in the reference and often on the dial too. I’ve got a very inexpensive automatic Japanese made “sea urchin” and its quality is absolutely spot on.

At the other end of the scale the quality of Grand Seiko puts Rolex to shame.

Diversity is a good thing. Go for it I say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
never mind me, I am just watching this thread CLOSELY to find out who is/are the traitors/moles in the F17
you know those guys that join the WRURT thread everyday in F17, BUT, with their SEIKOs in hope that they would recruit some back to their pathetic sub-forum
lolz
Huahuahuah. Very good.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
...i own 2 Seiko diver's (well, 3 but i sold one because i didn't wear it much), an skx009 and an skz327, well they're built like tanks, reliable, accurate (+3 seconds/day); Seiko is a real watch manufacture, producing cases, in-house movements...also the lubricating oil and its famous lumbrite is "home-made". Oh, and it's a Japanese! You can't go wrong with a japan watch :)

21 - 40 of 70 Posts