WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This was my route in, too.

I'd recommend looking at Orient watches too, they've pretty much taken over from Seiko in the 'value for money Japanese automatic diver' category, IMHO. Google Orient Kamasu, Mako and Kano models.
Yes actually orient models are good looking too. Like mako II. I like those numerals.
But honestly will I regret this after some days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My question is, what do you do when it is time for an overhaul.

I had my old Air King give out once during my 20 years of ownership, never had it overhauled except the one time that it died.
Something mechanically had failed inside, and the local watch shop fixed and overhauled it at a reasonable price of three hundred some dollars.

I could imagine getting a Grand Seiko an overhaul. I don't know how much the Seiko's go for, but how about the $500 and under Seiko's, would you get it serviced?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was desperately couple months ago trying to buy a Seiko Tuna. It's hard since I am in Canada, and many US sellers don't ship to here. In the end, I couldn't get one. But thinking about it now, I feel happy that I didn't spent the money on it. I will save it for another G-shock.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
It is normal. We didn't marry Casio, we can have plenty of "side action". You don't lose your Casio card just because you own watches from other brands. Right now I have 7 watches and only 3 of them are Casios. 1 is Seiko.

However, I have abysmal experience with Seiko customer service, so won't buy their watches for the time being. But I get where you're coming from, they have beautiful models of late.

From a practical point of view, with normal use a good Seiko will not let you down. Don't drop them from 10 meters to concrete - which a G would survive but a mechanical probably not - and you're golden.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,769 Posts
Hey guys I need some advice. I am in a frenzy. I am liking, thinking, watching, dreaming watches these days.

today I saw a seiko with one of my friend who just bought a watch. I think it’s seiko sports new model. I clicked a pic attached with this post on my hand.

View attachment 15558179

so, here is my question is it normal for a through and through gshock fan and user. Who bangs watches and rough uses them most, like or move to a seiko.

This is the first time ever I am trying a seiko and don’t know anything about it. Strap, bracelet or whatever it’s on.

Do they require maintenance, it’s a automatic so doesn’t require battery change that I am aware.

Will a gshock user ever get used to it or regret it later or lock it up in cabinet.

I don’t know what has happened. I have bought many watches but somehow I am not being satisfied. What do you all suggest..!!

I bought a solar gshock recently which was received dead. What if I return it and get this seiko?
Nothing wrong with that. I would've returned the G-Shock with a dead battery too, for ease of mind. The fact that I bought it brand new and has a dead battery would bug me to no end unless I exchanged it.

Seikos are nice reliable watches. They may not be the most accurate (in fact most of the lower end with cheaper movements are far from it), but they are reliable and low maintenance watches. I have an SKX013 that I still use when going to the beach sometimes. It's a very rugged and reliable diver watch with a reasonable 38mm case size.

Seikos are good and dependable watches with designs that follow function over form.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This reliability issue is assuring but there accuracy on time would definitely bug me. Consider gshocks losing a few seconds a month. I like my watches to be accurate. This will definitely pain me as daily watch

·
Registered
Seiko x 3, Islander, Orient, Citizen, G-Shock
31 Posts
It’s not an either/or, but a both/and... I enjoy and appreciate my USAF issue G-Shock and Seiko’s (auto, quartz and digital) for different reasons. None of them are too expensive and all provide enjoyment. Doesn’t hurt to look (and don’t forget Orient...). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My question is, what do you do when it is time for an overhaul.

I had my old Air King give out once during my 20 years of ownership, never had it overhauled except the one time that it died.
Something mechanically had failed inside, and the local watch shop fixed and overhauled it at a reasonable price of three hundred some dollars.

I could imagine getting a Grand Seiko an overhaul. I don't know how much the Seiko's go for, but how about the $500 and under Seiko's, would you get it serviced?
Seiko movements are relatively cheap and easily available. In that situation I would just change the movement out - it would most likely be cheaper and easier than trying to get it serviced and any competent watchmaker could do that for you.

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with a G-Shock fan migrating to Seiko.
I have watches from a variety of manufacturers, including Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko, Citizen & Casio G-Shock. As long as you are happy with what you are purchasing, what else matters?
I don't believe in feeling obliged to stay loyal at any watch manufacturer. If I like it and I can afford it, I'll buy it. (y)

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,769 Posts
This. Being a Japanese watch fan, naturally will touch on Seiko and Citizen territories. But I can tell you nothing can replace a G. G-Shock has its only style and nostalgia that's unique on its own and nothing quite like it.
No watch is as durable as a G-Shock. Nothing comes close in terms of durability. And that's a fact.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thank you everyone. Maybe I will given seiko and other autos a pass for now. Gshock is the one that can withstand the abuse I put through a watch.

·
Premium Member
64,834 Posts
Once you’ve tried G you may try other brands like a faithless husband but rest assured that you will always return to G Shock.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I'm a classic g-shock to automatic seiko guy ... relatively recently. Spent $100 (they are more expensive now) on a 5600 G-Shock Square with solar power and atomic timekeeping .... then somehow got interested in analog, automatic watches. Bought a cheap Seiko Pilot's watch (classic $60), then an SKS, to a Turtle, Samurai, and most recently (last week) an olive Captain Willard. I'm hard on my watches ... and my seikos have help up. But ... I still have my old G-Shock and will never sell it.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
SEIKO and CASIO are definitely the top watch brands for me. I don't know what it is about japanese design, perhaps it's the price (although not so much for SEIKO anymore).

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Casio and Seiko were always my main manufacturers of watch buying. But while i still love Casio, i've had enough of Seiko due to their excessive price rises and poor quality control. Even the watch you've pictured has a slight misalignment on the dial/chapter ring. They can be worse than this. If you get an ok one, Seiko are nice watches. But i think they are overpriced now for their lower tier 4r movements, which is in the watch you pictured.
Hey the gentrification is good. Remember when a brand new ROLEX used to cost under a grand? Perhaps SEIKO will go the same way. Chance for investment pieces.
Probably not though. I wanted SEIKO's new ADSM, Willard, non-sla 6105, 6r05, whatever you wanna call it. I had anticipated and prayed for it since 2016 when the Turtles were issued. The price though...... I can't justify it.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
I think they go hand in hand, but depending on how people become attached to either, it might not make any sense to enjoy both. I see people coming to Seiko having more trouble moving to Casio than the other way around.

I think both brands have good taste and are practical.

Reactions: Malay Dixit
41 - 60 of 70 Posts