WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
To OP:

I went the opposite way, I got my Rolex, Tudors, Omegas, Grand Seikos, Bremont, Panerai, IWC, Longines and Seikos first, then went deep into g-shock squares. I am happy now with my collection - as they say g-shocks don’t count (meaning you can’t ever have enough).

I sometimes enjoy a Tudor and the next day a Timex Pac-Man. Go with whatever brings a smile on your face.

Cheers!

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
757 Posts
Hey the gentrification is good. Remember when a brand new ROLEX used to cost under a grand? Perhaps SEIKO will go the same way. Chance for investment pieces.
Probably not though. I wanted SEIKO's new ADSM, Willard, non-sla 6105, 6r05, whatever you wanna call it. I had anticipated and prayed for it since 2016 when the Turtles were issued. The price though...... I can't justify it.
Me neither, the black Willard is £1200 here. Just isn't worth anywhere near that to me.
So i bought the Steeldive homage and i'm very happy with it. Having the name Seiko doesn't mean much to me anymore.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
757 Posts
Must say, i also consider some G Shocks overpriced for what they are. But i can always get G Shocks, Edifice and Protrek in the price i'm comfortable paying. All three of these Casio lines are often discounted and there are great deals to be had on them. The quality control is good and they are as reliable as an anvil.
Cant see me ever getting disillusioned with Casio.

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
I love G-Shocks, especially solar/atomic and vintage, and also vintage non-G-Shocks. That said I will also posit that as many Seiko fanatics turn into G-Shock aficionados as the other way around!!, judg69

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seiko movements are relatively cheap and easily available. In that situation I would just change the movement out - it would most likely be cheaper and easier than trying to get it serviced and any competent watchmaker could do that for you.
Thank you so much, I wasn't aware that the movement was available to be purchased individually, that is a good idea, thanks! (y)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I too went from Casio to Seiko (and to a lesser extent Orient).
But Seiko is pretty much abandoning the low end auto market.
Now I’d be looking at the micros or the better quality Chinese.
Maranez
Steeldive
San Martin
Etc

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nobody has noted the fact that he received a dead SOLAR watch and told him to put it in the window sill for a day to see if it comes back on again?? :oops:

To the OP:

The biggest adjustment you will have going from quartz to auto is having a watch that is grab and go with the correct time to having to fiddle and set it all the time.

If you just want grab and go stick with G-shocks.

As for the bezel insert, it is aluminum, and on the new Seiko 5 divers doesn't even have a lume dot like a dive bezel should, so yes it will get dinged up and doesn't function like it should anyways.

The fortunate thing with those is, there are tons of after market bezel inserts out there made to fit that model, some made with ceramic and fully lumed, and replacing one should be child's play to do.

If you want a dive watch, there are better options than the 5KX for around the same price or not much more. Orient and Islander watches would be the first 2 I'd look at.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Nobody has noted the fact that he received a dead SOLAR watch and told him to put it in the window sill for a day to see if it comes back on again?? :oops:

To the OP:

The biggest adjustment you will have going from quartz to auto is having a watch that is grab and go with the correct time to having to fiddle and set it all the time.

If you just want grab and go stick with G-shocks.

As for the bezel insert, it is aluminum, and on the new Seiko 5 divers doesn't even have a lume dot like a dive bezel should, so yes it will get dinged up and doesn't function like it should anyways.

The fortunate thing with those is, there are tons of after market bezel inserts out there made to fit that model, some made with ceramic and fully lumed, and replacing one should be child's play to do.

If you want a dive watch, there are better options than the 5KX for around the same price or not much more. Orient and Islander watches would be the first 2 I'd look at.

Well said.. yes I wear my watches on the go.. might just wear it all the time.. and hassle of setting time is not my cup of tea. Well noted yes I did received a dead gshock and tried raising it from dead and it did rise up. But that also got me to seiko autos as I saw one.. but after reading m thinking of orient also as many do said about it.
I had initially thought autos are hassle free.. but after reading all the post realised it’s not soo.. also they require maintenance too and that too costly one..

I want a daily driver. Atleast till now m that kind of guy.. and want my watch to be accurate all the time.. if m wearing it.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts