12mm or less in thickness
sapphire crystal
water resistance of at least 100m
around the 500 dollar price point
preferably in a casual, field, dress diver, or dress style case/ dial combo
good lume

#9 ·
I guess that is what the OP means.
I'm guessing the same. Only from Bulova AFAIK, a pity nobody else makes smooth sweeping second hands quartz movements.
Asides from the one Triton9 suggested, the one I think comes closest to looks of the black dial Ball Fireman that OP likes is the Bulova Surveyor. Not a bad looking watch, IMO.

The Bulova Telluride is another possibility but comes in silver dial or green.

#10 ·
@mpvick, by "sweeping seconds hand" do you mean central seconds (as opposed to seconds on a subsidiary dial) or sweep as in more than one tick per second?

If the former, there are lots of options. If the latter, you're looking for a peculiar beast in quartz and there's not too much out there. Bulova might have something for you, as has been posted! :)

Of course, if the "sweeping seconds" is a look you like, there are automatics in this price range too that are often within a few seconds a day.

#12 ·
Thanks for the clarification.

Just as an FYI, originally "sweep seconds" has referred to any central seconds hand that sweeps around the whole dial, whether it ticks or moves smoothly. More recently, general usage has seen it come to refer to the smoothness of the motion, and not jumping once per second. So sometimes the question comes up of "what do you mean by 'sweep'?"

Personally, I think the more modern usage is better, as the prior usage is covered by calling it central seconds, as opposed to sub seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.