WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the specs for what I'm looking for ... it may or may not exist ...

-Built like a tank (think Marathon SAR or tougher- Must be metal)
-Water Res to +/- 300M
-Great lume (Think Deep Blue T100 though it doesn't have be tritium as long as it gives a couple of good hours of usefulness in the dark)
-Solar Powered (Ala eco drive/gshock)
-Atomic Time Calibration
-Analog time display (has hands)

My assumption (from lots of searching) is that no such beast exists today

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

-Water Res to +/- 300M
-Great lume (Think Deep Blue T100 though it doesn't have be tritium as long as it gives a couple of good hours of usefulness in the dark)
-Atomic Time Calibration

Seiko makes a prospex that meets all but the 300m criteria... 100m.....

Casio Oceanus line is the same IIRC....

·
Registered
62 Posts

-Water Res to +/- 300M
-Atomic Time Calibration

Oceanus hits most of those.

All Titanium, Sapphire Crystal, Solar, Atomic, Analog Time with independent motors for hour/min/sec hand (fast access to modes)
The WR is 100m though. I'm a bit interested in why your spec'ing this out to 300m? At those depth ratings your well beyond normal Nitrox diving and well into Triox gas mix territory, do you really have a requirement for deep water diving, or just looking for a watch designed to take extreme punishment?

Racer X

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Casio Oceanus, my older model is below. The new ones are quite beautiful. *Only* 100m, otherwise ticks your marks. If you really want to spec a watch that doesn't exist, we can recommend a few more features, like "retains it's investment value" or "made entirely in the USA." But Oceanus is about the most fully featured high-tech watch out there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not trying to be unreasonable about the depth. I've read that WR100m doesn't necessarily mean that it's good to a 100m depth but that it has been tested to a certain pressure that is equivalent to those that you would see at a certain depth and that the measured pressure on the watch itself increases greatly even at significantly less depth when significant movement (waving/flailing about) happens. I've had push in back timex's that at least say they are WR100m ...

If this is incorrect please let me know.

I'm also not purposely trying to make a list of things that I can't get I was wondering how many of these things that I can get in one package ..

I need something that
-can take fairly serious punishment (on occasion may even have things land on it underwater or be in vicinity of pressurized pipes that burst underwater etc)
-keeps very good and very consistent time that I can bet my life on over and over again
-Doesn't need to be constantly opened to replace batteries
-Is easy to read in ANY light condition

That's the functional spec anyway ...

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
Built like a tank (think Marathon SAR or tougher- Must be metal)
-Water Res to +/- 300M
-Atomic Time Calibration

You'll have to create your own watch company with movements from Casio and case from Marathon ;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
This Citizen that I used to have comes very close... it "only" has 200M WR. Mine was the Japanese market version, so it had the Duratect finish and a sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating. In the U.S., it's available in steel with a mineral crystal. The radio control is from all locations throughout the world and it has a load of other features as well.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I'm not trying to be unreasonable about the depth. ...I'm also not purposely trying to make a list of things that I can't get I was wondering how many of these things that I can get in one package ..
.....I need something that
-can take fairly serious punishment (on occasion may even have things land on it underwater or be in vicinity of pressurized pipes that burst underwater etc) ....
Sorry, up above I was trying to make a little humor at your expense, as it's rather common to see lists of unobtainable features here, from people who just want to stump the chumps. It appears from your comments that you are really a diver who works in dangerous environments? Oil derricks perhaps? I knew someone who did derrick repair for a living down in the Gulf and that's some serious s**t. If you need a watch for technical diving, you are way out of my league and probably most of the horology geeks here. You would probably be using a dive computer anyway. There's a Citizen Eco-drive 1000m diver that does not do atomic time, I don't know any solar-atomic Casios at those pressure ratings, so Citizen might be your closest. The Eco-drive mechanism is extremely accurate, so even without atomic calibration you're likely to stay within a few seconds per month. The dive watch forum would be the place to take this next.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Sounds to me like the Ecozilla is your answer.

Fits every requirement except for radio controlled. Mine was only off 2 seconds (fast) when I went through daylight savings. I hadn't set it since December..... Buy some adapters for it (hoping my walt's will be here today) and you can put it on a 24mm ZULU. Then youre ready for just about anything.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the movements are really that accurate maybe the radio controlled isn't quite as important as I thought ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts