WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.
a friend of mine is eying (?) up a citizen bullhead, on ebay, right now. i know nothing about them but i was hoping i could help him out.
the particular one he's looking at is the "rare" octagon shaped case. yellow dial.
(he dreams of a speedmaster but can't afford it, yet)
i'd love to be able to give him some feedback. i really dig the look with the yellow face, and the location of the crown and pushers. i can't tell if it's a domed crystal or not from the pics.

the only thing that gets me is.... the auction says it was serviced just last year. but it's running at +/-15-20 seconds a day. that seems like a lot to me. i can find some pics to post if need be.

it's going for around $130, now.

lemme know what you think! any previous owners' experience would be awesome.

thanks!
Steve

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I know a little, having had two. The movement is a Citizen 8110. It is a peach of a movement when in good condition - nice click to the pushers, hands return crisply to 12. It is very nicely featured, with fly-back, column wheel, and vertical clutch. I think it is 28,800 bph but I'm not sure. If you try and find a modern chrono with these features be prepared to spend serious cash. Accordingly, I hear these are very expensive to service properly and fix.

I had the version with the rotating internal bezel (not a bullhead), and the movement was partly decorated, with parallel micro etching. Looked modern and futuristic if you were in the 70s I guess! Unfortunately that one died on a flume ride. My current 8110 bullhead is the rarer hexagonal case version, movement is not really decorated. Pics in my gallery if you're interested.

In good condition I think these are worth more than $130. If he can pick it up at that price, and it is tidy, I think that is an excellent purchase.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya, I have caught my share of them from various mudholes, They are not much of a fighter but they can getya good with there wiskers!! Had to do it. Anyway No I have never owned one. Sorry -- goodluck fishing---I mean searching!!:-d

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
with a name like buck, if ya dont go cat-fistin once in yer life, youse aint livin! :-!

As for the watch, theyre sweet, but beware of many sellers on ebay selling franken versions. or at least thats what im told. sweet watches though, tons of bang for the buck. they usually run around $150 for decent clean examples.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
with a name like buck, if ya dont go cat-fistin once in yer life, youse aint livin!
DUUUDEEEEEE!!!

:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Yeah, we got catfish the size of chryslers down here. You go trying any of that nonsense with an aussie catfish and it'll rip yer arm off and clobber you with the wet end!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is +/- 15-20 seconds a day "normal" for a watch this old?

that would be my only concern...for him.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I'm not concerned with accuracy, so I don't check my watches. But I never noticed my old one (which was my daily wearer) to be particularly accurate or inaccurate. I think I reset it once wvery week or two weeks. I usually only wear my hex case for an evening on the town or if I have to dress sharp for work, so over the course of one day I don't care if it drops 10 - 20 seconds.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Sounds like a cool watch, and a better Miyota movement, I really wish they'd stop outsourcing the hideous 8215 and try some of their better automatics on the market, especially in divers and especially ones without that disgusting indirect seconds that stutter like crazy and look absolutely atrocious.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
You can't compare an 8110 with an 8215! The 8110 is pure awesomeness. The 8215 is a 7s26 / 2824 like basic auto movement, made in China out of cheap Chinese parts. The 8110 was made in Japan out of nice Japanese parts. To find an equivalent modern movement you need to look at the gorgeous 6s37. That's why I want a 6138 so bad now - I've realised that the way Seiko is going I'll be buying my 18k watch with 18k bracelet before I'm ever affording a new Seiko auto chrono.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
You can't compare an 8110 with an 8215! The 8110 is pure awesomeness. The 8215 is a 7s26 / 2824 like basic auto movement, made in China out of cheap Chinese parts. The 8110 was made in Japan out of nice Japanese parts. To find an equivalent modern movement you need to look at the gorgeous 6s37. That's why I want a 6138 so bad now - I've realised that the way Seiko is going I'll be buying my 18k watch with 18k bracelet before I'm ever affording a new Seiko auto chrono.
Admittedly I know next to nothing about Citizen, other than the popular and over-used 8215. I'm just not a fan of their watches at all, nothing they produce turns me on at all. So I appreciate the info. Though I have to disagree comparing the 8215 to even an economy/standard grade 2824, at least they can be adjusted to quite accurate timing with ease. I've heard how temperamental the 8215s are with there horrible lever system.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I didn't mean the movements are the same quality. More that they are basic movements comprised of chinese manufactured parts (even the 2824, so I hear). If you ever get a chance to have a poke around an 8110 you will undertand that only magic elves with thiny little pixie hands could have pieced all those springs, cogs and gubbins together! And it looks sweet, much nicer than any 2824 I've seen.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I didn't mean the movements are the same quality. More that they are basic movements comprised of chinese manufactured parts (even the 2824, so I hear). If you ever get a chance to have a poke around an 8110 you will undertand that only magic elves with thiny little pixie hands could have pieced all those springs, cogs and gubbins together! And it looks sweet, much nicer than any 2824 I've seen.
I see, it was a brand comparative point. Thanks for the clarification Toby! I'm going to do a search around the Seiko/Citizen/Orient forum for the 8110... can't wait to have a look-see at one.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Have you cracked your 6309 open? What's the movement like? Clean? I have wanted one of those for ages. But they are getting quite pricey.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Have you cracked your 6309 open? What's the movement like? Clean? I have wanted one of those for ages. But they are getting quite pricey.
No, I surprisingly still haven't received the watch yet. The guy said I should have it on Monday, so I'll be patient, perhaps he meant next Monday.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Can't wait to see it. Receiving vintage pieces is so much more exciting than new ones. You never know exactly what you're going to get. Maybe for my benefit, you could embed a couple of pics in one of your posts, so i can actually see them? Thanking you in advance... Chauncy.

No, I surprisingly still haven't received the watch yet. The guy said I should have it on Monday, so I'll be patient, perhaps he meant next Monday.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Can't wait to see it. Receiving vintage pieces is so much more exciting than new ones. You never know exactly what you're going to get. Maybe for my benefit, you could embed a couple of pics in one of your posts, so i can actually see them? Thanking you in advance... Chauncy.
For sure Toby. I've got a couple of pics that the seller posted in the sales thread that I'll toss in here for ya. The seller, Calibro9, said that the movement is keeping +3 seconds per day, which I'm extremely excited to see. So far my Sea Devil with the Miyota 8215 is actually keeping +1 per day... WHOA! I asked Ralf of Benarus if he'd have mine regulated before delivery, looks like he was able to... what a great guy, and watch!!! :-!b-)

Attachments

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
:p

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts