WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

We all have and enjoy vintage watches, many of them have had a very long life before we got hold of them, who owned them and what they witnessed is lost to the mists of time, some might have been owned by famous people from history, most were owned by the Hoi Polloi and lived very ordinary lives, some might even have been owned by some of the less savoury characters that have populated our planet.
“Where is he going with this thread?” I hear you say, well, do you think that all the history of a watch can manifest itself in strange ways?
My example, my father recently purchased a nice Labrador watch

Nothing special but he likes it but for some reason it doesn’t seem to want to be in his possession, after three days in his pocket the glass fell out, not to strange on an old watch? This was replaced by the watchmaker it was purchased from FOC, it’s been fully serviced and when left on a stand it keeps perfect time, a few seconds a day, but and it’s a big but, when he wears it the time goes haywire, one day it’ll loose time, a lot of time 15-30 minutes in two hours but the the next day it’ll gain time in the same fashion, this, I can only explain by thinking that the watch really doesn’t like my father for some reason, I’ve worn it for a day and it behaves perfectly, he has no problems with his other watches.
Can anyone explain what’s happening by anything other than accumulated history?
Does anyone else have a similar story they want to share?

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
226 Posts
How does he wear it? How do you wear it?

What's the amplitude like in the dial up and down positions, or pendant up. Could be many things.

Pivots, jewels, Hairspring rubbing, magnetism from something. ECT ECT ect

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does he wear it? How do you wear it?

What's the amplitude like in the dial up and down positions, or pendant up. Could be many things.

Pivots, jewels, Hairspring rubbing, magnetism from something. ECT ECT ect

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Works fine in any position when not worn, we both wear it on an Albert in the left waistcoat pocket, I took it back to the watchmaker that serviced it and he put it on a timegrapher thingy and it was fine.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Matt, you can send it to me here in the states and I can perform a whole lot of incantations and voodoo spells for you or I can send you my grand kids Harry Potter wand and you can have a go of it yourself...:-d

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have watch parts that seem possessed but not a watch that I can recall. This movement holder washer jumped away and I searched and searched but it was gone, Later when I was going to fit the dial I saw the washer in the plastic baggy with the dial and hands but I can swear it was closed shut even before the washer went missing.

That or I was very tired when it went missing. :)

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
My friend's an ordained Pastafarian minister. Should I ask him if he performs exorcisms on watches?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
A strange thing happened to me, which was not that strange afterall.

I once gave an old Waltham pocketwatch away for service. It was also running way too fast, despite having been regulated down as much as possible. It came back and was ticking away nicely again. I put it on a stand to control things for a few days, but soon realized, that it was running too fast again. Was the watch trying to tell me something? I sent it back to the watchmaker, who fixed that in no time, but this time around he told me, that the hairspring was magnetized, something I would today check myself first and fix it with the good equipment I have bought.

Well, what happened? I had put the watch on a stand which was placed right next to my PC-loudspeakers with a very strong magnetic field. Sigh! It was not my mother speaking to me and suggesting to make better use of my time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts