WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
As far as collecting, I have several vintage watches that are smaller than 36. But, if I'm buying for the purpose of frequent wear, 36-42 is where I hang out. Great looking watch you have there!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've been having similar thoughts since I got my 38 mm nomos club. No major watch purchases for me again til next year, but have my eyes on a sarb 033 and a hamilton field, both of which are under 40. IMO you can go a little bigger with dive watches, but any watch without a timing bezel that is over 40mm just looks huge to me. A 38.5 omega aqua terra or a rolex explorer are on my long term wants list atm.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
40 is about my upper limit. I bought a new DJ36 in March and never seriously considered a larger DJ. Love the 36. Enjoy your Rolex!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Trying to move my collection sizes back down to between 38 and 42mm. It's very hard though as I keep being tempted by larger watches (damn it)!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
36-42mm here. 42's too big for many, but some work with my frame and wrist size (^5 Baron).

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are threads with beautiful pictures of the 36mm Day Date... you'll find yourself in good company!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
For a long time I thought large watches were cool (several 44mm Pams, Anonimo), and then one day I realized how really large and heavy they were, and while they looked nice, it was a lot more comfortable AND practical to wear a smaller watch--I prefer the 38-41 range, but will go both slightly above and below for a nice watch--on the below side is a huge number of Rolexes in the 34 and 36 range which are really great, including yours.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have a 7 1/4" wrist and my watches range from 40mm - 46mm, but just today I started to eye up one that comes in at 38.5mm. I don't think that would be too small? It is more dressy than sport watch.

Reactions: asmetana

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I have a 7 1/4" wrist and my watches range from 40mm - 46mm, but just today I started to eye up one that comes in at 38.5mm. I don't think that would be too small? It is more dressy than sport watch.
For sure. My wrists are 8 1/4", and I'd wear a 38.5mm watch (think Sinn 556).

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I tried a Hamilton Khaki king at 40mm but it felt just a bit too small. I've found 41-43mm to be my sweet spot. I also prefer my straps at least 20mm +

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wouldn't say that I collect "only" smaller watches, but I do collect watches that mostly date to pre 1970, and they are much smaller cases than typically worn today. One of my most worn watches is a tank style Roamer in a gold case by a London jeweler. From memory it has a 14 or 16mm band. The case is not much wider, and I suspect it may be a ladies watch! However, it sits nicely on my wrist and I enjoy wearing it.

I must confess I would not enjoy wearing one of the very large multiple complication dive/aviator style watches. I prefer my watches to tuck neatly under my shirt cuff.

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
38 - 40 pretty much for me since I have a small wrist, though a lot depends on the other size factors. An example, my ochs und junior, with it's almost non-existent lugs is 42 and could probably go larger and still be ok . . .

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I tried a Hamilton Khaki king at 40mm but it felt just a bit too small. I've found 41-43mm to be my sweet spot. I also prefer my straps at least 20mm +
I agree @ 20mm J, my wrists are too big for anything under 20mm. Which is a bummer, I've missed out on some great designs (vintage and otherwise) due to the 18mm lugs.

Reactions: filthyj24
1 - 20 of 56 Posts