WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I bought a really nice 007 to have modded along with some parts. I also bought a brand new ETA movement. Since then my interests have gone in a different direction since I learned I'm no good at putting second hands on. I'm probably going to sell all my parts and 007.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The latest word is that they are still producing it, but in limited quantities.

I think I read that in the Seiko new release thread.

EDIT: Yep. Here it is: https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/**new-upcoming-seiko-watches**-2393034-134.html
Well, there's a scoop, I'd say! You know, that question's been on my mind for weeks, maybe months. I know, it's pathetic....:-s But it has been quite a thing on forums, Facebook, etc.. Wonder if anyone's gonna do anything with this info....? Problem is all the watch magazines are only interested in really expensive brands and models. So probably not. I say the SKX007 deserves at least a big farewell party or whatever. Since it has to be one of the most popular watches among WIS and Seikoholics, especially. It's the most moddable watch in the world, by far and it has inspired many to even consider modding a watch. I really, really love that good old, indestructible and rediculously affordable SKX007, with its great, classic looks and it's hard to believe, that after 20 years of non-stop production, the end seems to be near.....:-(

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Even though I have an SKX007 I'm still quite shocked to learn that its days are numbered.

Makes me wonder if I should panic by an emergency backup copy…
Yes, I recommend to panic and buy more SKX's. ;) For me a rationalized it by getting the 009. Which to be frank looks completely the same other than the red segment on the bezel, but the rest is not really all that blue and looks about the same as the black/charcoal gray of the 007 is most light conditions.

In full sun you can kinda-sorta see that it's blueish.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Even though I have an SKX007 I'm still quite shocked to learn that its days are numbered.

Seeing as Seiko has produced the 007 in fairly large numbers for the past 20 years or so and there are approximately a billion trillion models using the same movement then I think it's fairly safe to say that 007s and parts are going to be easily available for a very long time to come. It was never an expensive watch and because it was so widely bought I'm sure you'll see a steady supply of them on the used market without a price spike. Enjoy your 007 and rather than spending money buying the same thing over again put it into something else, there's no need to panic buy another 007.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Seeing as Seiko has produced the 007 in fairly large numbers for the past 20 years or so and there are approximately a billion trillion models using the same movement then I think it's fairly safe to say that 007s and parts are going to be easily available for a very long time to come. It was never an expensive watch and because it was so widely bought I'm sure you'll see a steady supply of them on the used market without a price spike. Enjoy your 007 and rather than spending money buying the same thing over again put it into something else, there's no need to panic buy another 007.
My panic buy comment was made in jest. I also have an SKX009 and seeing as these watches have a pretty bullet-proof reputation I don't really think I need to go out and buy an extra one "just in case" :)

·
Premium Member
80,520 Posts

No, don't panic buy PYLTN - it will give me a better chance of snagging my first one. I guess that with all these rumours about its imminent demise I'd best get my finger out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fwiw, lately I've noticed that on ebay in particular prices for new SKX007, SKX###, etc. seem to be increasing while the number of new SKX### watches offered for sale seems to be decreasing. Amazon prices also seem to be rising.

Anyone with any certain updated info?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
who knows ... last year I noticed prices go up earlier in the year ..and then grabbed a SKX009 for $125 (granted I had a discount code from jet.com before xmas ..bought NOV of last year)

I haven't been around that long but it seemed to me a lot of stuff was running more before xmas... then HUGE sales ..soooo many sales ...come xmas season.

otoh ... the new turtles have to be being built someplace and my guess would be the plants that had been making SKX's might be making Turtles now? Since years ago the SKX style case 6309 slim line case then 7002, and then SKX replaced the cushion style diver entirely... maybe history repeats itself in the opposite direction 30 some years later ??

to be clear I have no earthly idea what is going on with the SKX production either.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Clearly now is the time for panic buying for future profiteering

Step 1: Buy them all while you still can
Step 2: Wait for the hype and prices to reach sawtooth/spork levels
Step 3: PROFIT!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Fwiw, lately I've noticed that on ebay in particular prices for new SKX007, SKX###, etc. seem to be increasing while the number of new SKX### watches offered for sale seems to be decreasing. Amazon prices also seem to be rising.

I feel like I've reposted this at least once a week. :p

-------------------------------------------------

Member yonsson's comments (quoting a Seiko rep at Baselworld 2016):

And by the way; the skx007 has not been discontinued but is now under limited production.
Direct quote from SEIKO executive during meeting at Baselworld 2016.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Seems amazing to consider Seiko would even consider cutting back on such an icon watch. Maybe because the trend is to larger sized watches and that's were all the sales volume is?
Why amazing. They finally realized that the demand is high, it's the faster selling of their watches ever, now are making the same money or more, while producing less.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Not sure if prices rising or that a couple Singapore-based sellers are dropping off from eBay. I see more sellers out of Japan now, but they may always have been more expensive. (For the K model, so the same as the Singapore and Hong Kong people were selling)

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Not sure if prices rising or that a couple Singapore-based sellers are dropping off from eBay. I see more sellers out of Japan now, but they may always have been more expensive. (For the K model, so the same as the Singapore and Hong Kong people were selling)
Yes prices have been rising. From USD 120 to 200 (rubber).

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm no expert on Seiko, even if I do own a Grand Seiko. But I will say this about the SKX diver line of watches. I feel confident when I say, I think the SKX it is the best dive watch ever made. Not only are they indestructible they are also very reliable and affordable. And no other company had the nerve to attempt to copy the SKX style.
LONG LIVE THE SEIKO SKX!

·
Registered
463 Posts

I recently purchased an SKX 011 on Amazon for 348.00 USD. It was the only place I could locate one. And another 29.00 USD for the original Seiko Jubilee bracelet.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.