WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a quartz with a sweeping second hand.

Really like the accuracy idea but not the ticking. Analogue. Any price range.:thanks

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Seiko Springdrive is the only modern quartz, Beta 21 and a couple of other very very early ones exist but you will be pressed to find one and they are very pricey. However all the tuning forks including the Bulova Accutron, Omega f300 and f720 and so on are as good as smooth and even quite affordable.

And they hum, which is nice!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
In the past, Seiko released a quartz with a smooth sweeping seconds hand. If I remember correctly, it was a 5Yxx movement. You can find them occasionally on the second hand market. Most people don't realize what they are when they come up for auction and they can often go for under $100.00. I've been told that Citizen also has released a quartz with a smooth seconds hand, but I haven't seen that one.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Seiko Springdrive is the only modern quartz, Beta 21 and a couple of other very very early ones exist but you will be pressed to find one and they are very pricey. However all the tuning forks including the Bulova Accutron, Omega f300 and f720 and so on are as good as smooth and even quite affordable.

And they hum, which is nice!
I don't think Springdrive watches are quartz within the meaning usually ascribed to the description. They are driven by a spring (hence the name!) rather than a battery or a condenser and the quartz crystal controls a brake on an 8 revs per second, constantly rotating, wheel, called by Seiko the glide-wheel. Between the unwinding spring and the glide-wheel there is the same sort of gear-train you'd find in a conventional mechanical watch. Also, I think a "sweep second hand" is conventionally translated as a center-mounted second hand, rather than one that moves smoothly.

A conventional quartz movement uses a stepping motor that "steps" once per second and drives the second hand of an analog movement or the seconds digit on a digital one. I've never seen or heard of a true quartz movement whose second hand moves smoothly but there may be some that work differently.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't think Springdrive watches are quartz within the meaning usually ascribed to the description.
SDs are legitimate fodder for discussion on this forum. While it's been debated, to me, what truly defines a watches taxonomy is its resonator (the heart of the watch), and that's a quartz crystal in a SD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts