WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,608 Posts
It's time only with subsidiary seconds display at 6:00.

It was of course seen on almost every pocketwatch made. Consequently the style carried forward to wristwatches as they became popular. The sub seconds style was popular through the 1950's but was eclipsed by the easier to read center seconds display.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
with that dial layout, many watch manufacturers call it a marine deck watch or a marine chronometer watch- styled after the old chronometers found on ships.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
If you go by pocket watch convention, the Stowa MO has a "Savonette" configuration where the winding stem is perpendicular to the seconds sub-dial axis (this is true for seconds sub-dial at "12" as well). The "Lepine" configuration is when the seconds sub-dial is along the axis of the winding stem (sub-dial at "9", or more uncommonly at "3").

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,608 Posts
with that dial layout, many watch manufacturers call it a marine deck watch or a marine chronometer watch- styled after the old chronometers found on ships.
True, although the winding crown would commonly be found at 12:00 and would include an Up/Down or power reserve indicator on a marine chonometer. Placement of the winding crown at 3:00 was typically found on hunter cased pocket watches.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
If you go by pocket watch convention, the Stowa MO has a "Savonette" configuration where the winding stem is perpendicular to the seconds sub-dial axis (this is true for seconds sub-dial at "12" as well). The "Lepine" configuration is when the seconds sub-dial is along the axis of the winding stem (sub-dial at "9", or more uncommonly at "3").
Very cool. I didn't know any of that. So my Bernhardt is a Lepine configuration with a seconds subdial at 9 o'clock (and a pocket watch movement).

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,608 Posts
Very cool. I didn't know any of that. So my Bernhardt is a Lepine configuration with a seconds subdial at 9 o'clock (and a pocket watch movement).
It's actually a movement that was designed to have the crown at 12:00 in an open faced or lepine configuration found in a pocketwatch. Because the movement was rotated 90 degrees to put the crown at 3:00 the seconds hand also gets moved to 9:00. To have the crown at 3:00 and seconds at the more traditional 6:00 would require the use of a hunter or savonette style pocketwatch movement in a wristwatch case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts