·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nt

·
Registered
439 Posts
How was the sale advertised? Was it just luck to be on amazon and looking at monsters on that specific day? Or e-mail notification?
:-s

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it was advertised. I just remember reading a post either here or on one of the other forums. I guess if they have anymore sales, we'll hear about it.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
143 Posts
:think:I looked at Seikos during the supposed sale - I saw the same normal prices...but I did just buy a Black Monster for about $140 3 wks before - so I may have gotten excluded...I just count myself lucky. The prices do seem to change though...

·
Registered
143 Posts
ok - there just seemed to be no hint for me..

I did get my BM on bracelet for $142 delivered....2 weeks before..I did not notice any discount...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Prior the most recent 20% sale, Amazon raised the prices on the Seiko's quite a bit, roughly 20% in fact. I use a Firefox program called PriceDrop to track pricing on items on Amazon's site either for pricematching purchases (up to 30 days) or for monitoring items I want to buy. It alerts me to increases or decreases in price on the items I have being tracked.

Prior to the most recent sale, the price of the Black Monster I am looking for was $144.99, on the day of the sale it went to $178.99. After applying the 20% off I would have saved a total of $1.80. Currently it sits at $172.45.

By watching the pricing on the products you are looking for, you can see trends and can sometimes hit prices when they are lower than even a sale reduction. Amazon's pricing seems to fluctuate quite often, even several times during the day.

Just something to keep in mind!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Nice information Tommy, I hadn't really kept track of the prices that closely but that is something many people do prior to a big sale. I may have to get that program, is it an addon for Firefox?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you will join the group of professional (and I mean hard core) shoppers at fatwallet.com and check in the forums (fatwallet.com>forums>hotdeals>more) they will keep you very well informed on watch sales... and hard drive deals, and dvd rebates, etc etc etc... they have both saved and cost me thousands... but I got an OM on a bracelet for 149 shipped....

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks AUTommyJ (does the AU stand for Auburn? if so, War Eagle!!)

Can you check your handy dandy nifty computer program and see if the 'uninflated' regular price of the SKXA35 was $133.60 (current price of $167 -20%).

$167 is the lowest price I can find for that model. $133 would be a screaming deal!!!

Thanks
gigfy

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I just paid $180ish for mine, I'd be rather perturbed if someone got it for $133 but do they give money back if the price changes within 30 days?

·
Registered
6 Posts
gigfy, tt DOES stand for Auburn... War Eagle!! :grin:

Since I didn't track the SKXA35 I don't have a record of the pricing. The addon/firefox extension requires you to select the items you want to watch and starts from when you select the item.

Fatwallet is definitely a good forum for watch for watch deals on popular sites. I have seen references to some Overstock.com deals and other major retail websites that result in some pretty decent prices. Slickdeals.net is another popular deal website, searching for "watch" or "seiko" in the forums there will pull up recent deal posts.

And Muxinick, Amazon will honor a pricematch for 30 days from the date of purchase, and will match several times. I bought a handheld GPS unit from them that dropped 3 times after I purchased it and they credited the difference each time to my credit card. The key is to make sure that the price you are looking at is for an item "Shipped and Sold from Amazon.com" as there are often multiple sellers of the same products. The process ispainless, I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on the prices from any recent Amazon watch purchases. If you don't like the use of addons/extensions,
another method is to add the item to your cart again after you purchase it, then check your cart periodically. Amazon puts a notice at the top of your shopping cart page if the current price of an item is higher or lower than the last time you looked at your cart. It may be a little work, but every dollar you can save can go towards that next watch you have your eye on! ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good information Tommy. :-! Amazon definitely does have price fluctuations, sometimes major ones. Don't ask me how I know this.

I was driving past the mall tonight when I decided to do some "more" last minute shopping. I remembered that JC Penny carried Seiko, Invicta, Citizen, G Shocks and Wenger. They have others as well. I was surprised that they had over 50 -80 different styles with Seiko and Citizen.

If you have a good head for #'s, then you will enjoy the subtle pricing differences between what they have and what's on line. Like a Seiko Coutura MSRP of 695/725, they might have for 675/650. Right now, they have 25% off, and they have friends and family getting another 25% off.

One of the sales girls passed this tidbit on, so if you have any friends that work there, or are willing to perform some aaaahhhh...service;-), then you're in.

One watch there that caught my eye was a huge Citizen diver, with a coral second hand, 300m, strap extention standard-which I assumed to be the famous Eco Zilla I've heard about. I couldn't get the #. It was 395.

I also heard there will be further reductions after Christmas. Good luck.

Merry Christmas. :)
sloan

·
CMW & Sales Moderator
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks AUTommyJ for the heads up on the firefox add-on. I installed it a few days ago. FYI, Amazon raised the price of the SKX173 from $185 to $202 since Christmas.

Funny thing about how it works. For me, I keep the watches I'm tracking in my Amazon shopping cart. When I clicked on them, the add-on didn't show up. It only shows up if I navigate from the Amazon home page to the watches I'm interested in. Do you have to view the individual pages for the PriceDrop page to update or does it update automatically when you open it?

Thanks,
gigfy

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been watching the BM SS since last Christmas, and the recent sale was the best deal I've seen on it, so on 11/28/07 I bought one for $121.60 after discount:

Items Ordered Price 1 of: Seiko Men's "Black Monster" Automatic Dive Watch #SKX779K1 [Watch]
By: Seiko (Designer)
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$152.00
- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

Item(s) Subtotal: $152.00
Shipping & Handling: $4.98
Super Saver Discount: -$4.98
Promotion Applied: -$30.40
Total Before Tax: $121.60
Sales tax: $0.00 Total for this Shipment: $121.60

.... Sure seemed like a legit reduction to me, can't wait for another sale like that one! b-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts