WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
System than Tag Heuer? I have owned this watch for roughly nine years and the strap shows very little abuse. TheTag system ensures a secure and perfect fit without the need for holes in the strap. Comparing it to the others (Omega, Ulysse Nardin, Breitling) the Tag still gets the nod.

image-1059806762.jpg

Is this opinion shared by anyone else?

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I admit that I know nothing about the Tag deployant but I love my Omega deployants.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I love that the TAGHeuer deployant is a friction one and not dependent on holes in the strap and it means you can get it to fit exactly how you want.
The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a chunky little fellow and it could do with some slimming down.
If you want to be critical, I suppose you can say that because it is a friction based system that makes a strong bend in the strap, you can't easily change that initial setting.

They've changed the design of them somewhat since I got my first one.

this is the original version on the 1887 watches.
The buttons push those two rather elegant arms that act on springs to create the force required to keep it closed; it is the arms that do the locking.

this is a newer design where those two arms have been replaced by a single static piece and the buttons actuate a more normal/traditional spring actuated catch-posts.
The newer one is more study/robust and less likely to slip but that early design is a beautiful bit of engineering.

Hope that makes sense.
I probably should make annotated versions of those images....

Edit:
as I said I would.
Hopefully it makes more sense now.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The Ebel Deployment is virtually the same. No holes required, infinitely adjustable and extremely comfortable. Maybe the most comfortable band on any of my watches. And I'm not usually fond of deployments.........

Attachments

Reactions: jc-shock

·
Registered
605 Posts
Many companies have similar no hole deployants where the excess strap fits inside rather than outside. Its certainly not special to tag. Nice though im sure.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ebel Deployment is virtually the same. No holes required, infinitely adjustable and extremely comfortable. Maybe the most comfortable band on any of my watches. And I'm not usually fond of deployments.........
That is nice.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Many companies have similar no hole deployants where the excess strap fits inside rather than outside. Its certainly not special to tag. Nice though im sure.
This is where it will begin to sound arsey but we are talking details here.

There is a Breitling Deployant that works how the TAGHeuer one does so thank you Brent for pointing that one out, It also happens to not pinch the strap as the TAGHeuer one so that might make future adjustments easier than it is with the rather heavy pinching on the TAGHeuer one. It also looks a lot flatter too which is always a bonus.

As for the other ones you list Cartier and Omega.
The Omega Deployant uses straps with holes. That one too has been through a little change. When it started, it had two posts that matched the hole spacing on the OEM straps. Some members were having trouble with some aftermarket straps because the hole spacing did not 100% match the deployant's. THe Deployant has since been amended to have only one post so you are still bound by that in terms of fit.
I'm one of those people that has a wrist that seems perfectly between two standard holes.

The Cartier does do something similar but they use much thinner straps and the loose end is thus able to be completely bent back on itself (in fact, aren't both ends folded over?). I actually like how these leave the Deployant itself "clean" as it were, with no sign of the strap excess. Not sure how adjustable it is after you've bent the strap back like that though.

So, many others that use no post/friction set Deployant with inside strap placement?
Not many; two.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Breitling uses a similar system. I love mine.
And I showed how my Ebel has a virtually identical system as well. So, I'm not sure what Drunken Monkey's point is?

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
And I showed how my Ebel has a virtually identical system as well. So, I'm not sure what Drunken Monkey's point is?
On the Ebel that you show, the loose end is on the outside and you have to tuck it into the retainers.
On TAGHeuer and Breitling one, the loose end is kept tucked underneath the clasp and you only need to close the clasp to secure it in the same way as you would with the Omega clasp, except with the Omega clasp, you are bound by the holes on the strap for the fitting.

My point is, what he said regarding there being many that use a no-hole system that tucks under the loose end under the clasp for quick closure, is wrong.

As I said, we are talking about details here about how one method/design works better than another and it is the specific combination of having a friction fitting and having the loose strap end tucked under clasp that makes the TAGHeuer (and Breitling) deployant good.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
On the Ebel that you show, the loose end is on the outside and you have to tuck it into the retainers.
On TAGHeuer and Breitling one, the loose end is kept tucked underneath the clasp and you only need to close the clasp to secure it in the same way as you would with the Omega clasp, except with the Omega clasp, you are bound by the holes on the strap for the fitting.

My point is, what he said regarding there being many that use a no-hole system that tucks under the loose end under the clasp for quick closure, is wrong.

As I said, we are talking about details here about how one method/design works better than another and it is the specific combination of having a friction fitting and having the loose strap end tucked under clasp that makes the TAGHeuer (and Breitling) deployant good.
I see what you're saying. But I don't find it much of a difference on my Ebel, even if I have to guide the loose end into a channel, which takes about a second to do. And the loose end is hidden behind the buckle as it is on the Tag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
It's probably one of those things you get used to.
As inferred here, I have the TAGHeuer and Omega so a one touch closure is more natural to me.

I've tried on several of the external loose end deployants and on those short term trying on moments, I am always left wrestling with them.
Of course, then there are the butterfly clasps which leave me feeling like a drunk octopus.

In part, that is why my ears perk up when the Breitling map pointed out as I am always on the lookout for alternatives as the TAGHeuer one is a bit chunky compared to say, the Omega one.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Deployment? or deployant?
I believe both are correct. In the US, we would normally call it deployment. In Europe, it is most often referred to as Deployant. But on WUS, when you type deployant, it is underlined as a misspelled word.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts