WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sure it's a weird title since everyone is allowed to wear anything they like. But let me open my mind a little bit: I have eyed some nice pieces for a long time (mostly Nomos Club), even though my style is as far as possible from what I imagine dress watches would fit. I am young dude, wear mostly (always) casual clothes and "should" be using sports watches or something more suitable for my age and style. Sure I love divers as well and my long term grail is stereotypically the Sub or SD. But dive watches are mostly chunky beasts and I was blessed with wrists smaller than a chicken's leg so options are scarce in that area. I have gone so far already that I have an Aqua Terra at this moment, but maybe that's as far as I should go at this age.

Now when I have written all this boring text about myself, I'd like to know if there's people using those more delicate pieces in styles they were not meant to be used.
Weird things come to mind at saturday night when having a few glasses of red french :)

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
I do and I believe most of people do.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
If it's a dress watch's turn to be worn it gets some wrist time regardless of my activity. Obviously I'm a little bit sensible and don't swim in them but otherwise they have to live with me.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
I own the watches, not the other way around, jeans and t pretty much every day, sorry you didn't ask for pics but I use every excuse . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure pics are always welcomed. Especially if there's some nice pieces from Glashütte! Your black dialed ALS (sorry, don't know the model) is very beautiful piece of art.

·
Premium Member
22,563 Posts
First of all, the Nomos Club is designed to be a sportier watch than most of the rest of the Nomos lineup. But, I see no problem wearing a dress watch with casual clothes. In any case, much of what we consider to be dress watches today would simply have been consider regular everyday watches in the past.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Dress and casual are so mixed sometimes the fine line is blurred.. do what you want, bud! The world is a better place when you cross the boundaries and get rid of the red-tape. Nobody said you "shouldn't" wear a dress watch when or where..

Reactions: powerband

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all, the Nomos Club is designed to be a sportier watch than most of the rest of the Nomos lineup. But, I see no problem wearing a dress watch with casual clothes. In any case, much of what we consider to be dress watches today would simply have been consider regular everyday watches in the past.
Probably that's one of the reasons I like dressier pieces (and the Sub btw). Classy designs that won't look dated after a few years when a new wave of fashion or style sets in. And the simple elegance just draws me in. I can't stand watches having dials filled with all kind of nonsense. Minimal / bauhaus style feels the most "my thing".

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dress and casual are so mixed sometimes the fine line is blurred.. do what you want, bud! The world is a better place when you cross the boundaries and get rid of the red-tape. Nobody said you "shouldn't" wear a dress watch when or where..
Thanks for the encouraging words. I think you are more than right. And I also know it's all in my head. Usually nobody really cares what's on someones wrist.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Reactions: Noam the Newt

·
Registered
490 Posts
If a watch looks good and feels good to wear then who cares if you've got a suit on or board shorts.
i say if you feel like wearing a particular time piece, do so.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
This is by the Manufacturers definition a "Sports Watch"...Do you think you could wear it with a suit too?
001.JPG
I wear it with T shirt and jeans, never wore with a suit....:think: guess I could.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It's the way things were traditionally done as most gentlemen only owned one watch.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think it is easier to wear a dressy watch in a very casual setting than it is to wear a casual watch in a very dressy setting. Opting for a quality strap, i.e. shell cordovan or black ostrich, can help accentuate the qualities of the watch to work in both situations.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I absolutely do. I wear the JLC Reverso MOST of the time, while my divers and sport watches stay in the winder.

Recently, I've started also wearing the Royal Orient with casual slacks/jeans and polo shirts, and often T-shirts.

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts