WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any other watch manufacturers that design their watches to be especially "shock resistant" like Casio? I was just thinking that there really doesnt seem to be anything like the G-Shocks out there, especially at that price point. I mean with Solar, Multiband Atomic and shock resistance, all for about a $100 USD, not bad. Anything else compare?

I guess another question is how tough are Suuntos?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
no, i don't know of anything else that competes with all the major qualities of the g-shock: styling, features, price, and toughness. but choose any one attribute, and yes there are alternatives, imho.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Does anything compare to a G-Shock? No.

As my personal motto says:

"Sucks to be without a G".

:-!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess considering the paucity of responses to the question the answer is "No". Looks like we made the right decisions.:-!

·
G-Shock Mod
14,199 Posts
Timex iroman does have shock resistant solar model

though it better features for runners and nite mode, but the build quality doesn't compare to that of a Casio's and there is not atomic feature (yet)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I guess considering the paucity of responses to the question the answer is "No". Looks like we made the right decisions.:-!
you posted the question at 10 pm my time and then this at 10 am the next morning my time. so you may need to wait a little longer to collect more responses.

i don't think the watch market is quite as 'big' as it might seem at first. if there was a serious alternative to g-shocks, they'd be mentioned here, probably you'd see them at macy's, and in general they would be 'known'.

an omega x-33 might beat a g-shock in terms of shock resistance. but it is a different look and price, and doesn't have features like the radio sync. ok, so a junghans is reasonably priced and has the radio sync... but it's not as durable. so a timex is cheap and durable... but maybe not solar (actually i think a couple are, but then maybe the look isn't quite the same). i.e. i don't think there is any lineup that really compares to g-shock. and that's good for all parties; casio, omega, timex, and junghans.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nothing compares, and I've tried Timex (glass isn't mineral and not as shock resistant) and Adidas (nice looking but build quality isn't up to speed with Casio). Also the "joy" of obtaining something that is built to take abuse and last for a decade or more for the price is unbeatable!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Timex could give them a fun for their money, but as you all point out, nobody seems to have the 1,2,3 punch of shock resist, solar and multiband. Still, you would think that Casio cant rest on their laurels forever on that combination. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the coming years to stay ahead.
Personally, I would like to be able to plug the watch into the computer and do some GUI based modifications of settings etc.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had a Timex ironman, and nowhere as near as tough as a G. Filled up with water in a swimming pool, and the velcro came apart from the strap on more than one occasion. A G might be slightly more expensive, but the build quality is much better

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
There is no competition at the price, and no real competition at any price.

·
Registered
399 Posts
you posted the question at 10 pm my time and then this at 10 am the next morning my time. so you may need to wait a little longer to collect more responses.

i don't think the watch market is quite as 'big' as it might seem at first. if there was a serious alternative to g-shocks, they'd be mentioned here, probably you'd see them at macy's, and in general they would be 'known'.

an omega x-33 might beat a g-shock in terms of shock resistance. but it is a different look and price, and doesn't have features like the radio sync. ok, so a junghans is reasonably priced and has the radio sync... but it's not as durable. so a timex is cheap and durable... but maybe not solar (actually i think a couple are, but then maybe the look isn't quite the same). i.e. i don't think there is any lineup that really compares to g-shock. and that's good for all parties; casio, omega, timex, and junghans.
dont forget that video repairing the crown and the pushbutton of the x33 in space because they just came off... so I dont think is tougher in any way than a G.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Are there any other watch manufacturers that design their watches to be especially "shock resistant" like Casio? I was just thinking that there really doesnt seem to be anything like the G-Shocks out there, especially at that price point. I mean with Solar, Multiband Atomic and shock resistance, all for about a $100 USD, not bad. Anything else compare?
well, if you referring to "toughness" alone, there is probably no competitor for a g-shock. if it comes down to functions - now thats a complete different story.

cheers

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think for pure toughness and function, NOTHING compares to a G.:-! For pure style, there are some that come close, but still take a back seat to G's.:-! For dressing up purposes......G's are.....well.....not my first choice.:-s

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
what about a Citizen 'Supertough'? No longer in production however and a bit more expensive too - if you can find one at all.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,
what about a Citizen 'Supertough'? No longer in production however and a bit more expensive too - if you can find one at all.

Did it have solar and multiband?

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Wow - :thanks for the link - I got my eye on probably one of the last remaining specimen on ebay (not the Ti however but the standard version) for a long time now - still haven't pulled the trigger - hopefully I'll make up my mind before it's gone :think::roll:.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I guess in the watch world it's "Solar, Toughness, or Atomic, pick two" unless it is a G-Shock :-d

1 - 20 of 53 Posts