·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Why would it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
because magnet will attract to carbom steel... thats why i am thinking would it be a matter..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,680 Posts
because magnet will attract to carbom steel... thats why i am thinking would it be a matter..
That's correct so far. However, every watch has to be anti-magnetic to 4.800 a/H otherwise it could not be sold as being a watch.
Read ISO 764. A stainless steel case watch and a carbon steel watch must have the identical am properties. It is that simple and makes it a NO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's correct so far. However, every watch has to be anti-magnetic to 4.800 a/H otherwise it could not be sold as being a watch.
Read ISO 764. A stainless steel case watch and a carbon steel watch must have the identical am properties. It is that simple and makes it a NO.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I am planning to use carbon steel to create a watch for some reason.

So if I am not mistaken, it is a yes for me to make a watch with this material.

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
Plus, why use carbon steel, on a watch? Wrists sweat...and that means you have *salt* water touching the steel. A straight, non-stainless carbon steel would seem to be at high risk for rusting.

Second point...what advantage do you get with the carbon steel? Yeah, it can be harder than most stainless grades, but there's ways to get that in stainless alloys too, I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts